Xbox Series X | S

9 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Not generally, no. 

Ah cool. I’ll let @reef have first dibs, as he deserves it after the mess around he’s been through, but if it’s still available nearer the time and I’m still struggling, I’ll definitely take it. Nice one!

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

So that puts that to bed.

It seems like it was fake news from the start. Completely made up what Bakalar said, and whoever translated the French journalist came up with the term 'fireplace shaft' and no one bothered to check what that meant or if the story was even true. 

5 hours ago, SteveH said:

I am also in Manchester (Fallowfield, which is south Manchester) and should have my Argos Series X spare. It has already been paid for as they took the money straightaway. I have my preferred order with MS as I'm hoping they can add their Complete extended warranty. I haven't had any emails to suggest my order hasn't properly gone through with them, and they did send out a controller that I ordered along with the console. So I can offer you my Argos one on launch day seeing as you are local and nothing goes wrong of course!

edit: I won't hold you to anything of course. Should you find another online before launch that you can have delivered then I'm sure someone else would want my spare should they both arrive :) 

Well, that’s a brilliant offer and I’ll take you up on it if that’s ok? I’ll pm you later to talk details. Thanks!

Apologies if this as been mentioned recently but I couldn't see anything.

Do we know if anyone actually has working Series S demonstration consoles in the wild yet (even if they are under embargo to talk about them)? I know when the Series X boxes were sent out people were saying "we have them, check back soon" but I can't seem to see any references to the S.

I'm just very keen to get some sort of side-by-side performance reviews and was pondering how likely that might be given their new marketing campaign is kicking off today.

40 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I'm just very keen to get some sort of side-by-side performance reviews and was pondering how likely that might be given their new marketing campaign is kicking off today.

I think they really are in a tight spot with this one, and i'm of the opinion that they might not do a side by side for a couple of reasons even though consumers are due it.

• 1080p or 1440p vs 4k can't really be shown effectively through a video and the game may look the same so people may be askng why buy the X. 
  • They possibly don't want to play down the S performance in front of the X to negate the above point.

The next embargos will hopefully be lifted soon. I'm eager for more info.

3 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:
  • 1080p or 1440p vs 4k can't really be shown effectively through a video and the game may look the same so people may be askng why buy the X. 

Certainly not through YouTube, but for anyone interested in seeing the differences on their TV, both GamerSyde and DigitalFoundry.net (You need to pay $5 for a month's access to the latter) will have high quality and uncompressed capture, respectively.

Downloading this, putting it on a USB and watching it on your TV is as close as you will get to seeing what the two consoles will look like on your TV, and I'll almost certainly be doing that when videos come out.

On one of those videos I posted this week, they said Series S and X comparisons are coming "soon."

I also don't think Microsoft really care whether you buy an S or an X, to be honest. The comparisons will be coming sooner or later, so why hide from it?

I mentioned this in the PS5 thread.......

image.thumb.png.c43e9fca2b5b00724b24db3977270600.png

Then last night I was listening to the latest Kinda Funny Xcast podcast (which I do recommend) and this point was mentioned. There is no protection from stuff being put in the holes and apparently they are big enough that a pencil/pen could easily be put in there.

Maybe highlighting this early will help someone protect their console and avoid catastrophie. If you have small kids and your shiny new XSX is left out in the open, cover it up :D.

12 hours ago, Deeptone said:

"This matches my experience at home quiet, fast & impressive power for the size."

Weird, my wife has said pretty much the same thing to me many a time.

Weird, that’s not what she told me.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Certainly not through YouTube, but for anyone interested in seeing the differences on their TV, both GamerSyde and DigitalFoundry.net (You need to pay $5 for a month's access to the latter) will have high quality and uncompressed capture, respectively.

Downloading this, putting it on a USB and watching it on your TV is as close as you will get to seeing what the two consoles will look like on your TV, and I'll almost certainly be doing that when videos come out.

On one of those videos I posted this week, they said Series S and X comparisons are coming "soon."

I also don't think Microsoft really care whether you buy an S or an X, to be honest. The comparisons will be coming sooner or later, so why hide from it?

Never knew they had promised any :) glad to be wrong here, my head was in skepticism mode.

I do hope it's clear to see the difference, I just don't see anyone going to the lengths you have mentioned in order to make judgment (even though it is the smart play). 

9 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

I mentioned this in the PS5 thread.......

image.thumb.png.c43e9fca2b5b00724b24db3977270600.png

Then last night I was listening to the latest Kinda Funny Xcast podcast (which I do recommend) and this point was mentioned. There is no protection from stuff being put in the holes and apparently they are big enough that a pencil/pen could easily be put in there.

Maybe highlighting this early will help someone protect their console and avoid catastrophie. If you have small kids and your shiny new XSX is left out in the open, cover it up :D.

You’d have thought they’d have put some mesh in there or something. But then maybe that’d end up catching all the dust, so they decided against it.

God the Elite v2 pad.

The first two I had had to be returned to the store consecutively because one of the face buttons didn't register unless you mashed it, the third one's right bumper stopped responding after a week. The most recent one lasted a bit better, but has had to go back to Microsoft because the bluetooth on it packed up after 6 months.

All of them but one have had loose-feeling sticks unless tightened up to the max, and all but one had stick drift out of the box.

I honestly don't care if Microsoft lose that piece of shit and I never get it back, and I've gone back to my old faithful Xbone pad which I've never had a single problem with. My biggest frustration with the V2 is that I traded in a perfect V1, for it and I regret it to this day. The Elite controllers do feel amazing in your hand though, and I seriously miss the extra paddles underneath. When the V3 inevitably emerges, I'm down to buy one, but it'll be after reading lots of feedback, because the V2 for me has been inexcusably dogshit for any controller, much less a controller with that price tag.

I think my Elite v2 is my favourite possession. I did have to get a replacement due to stick drift, and the replacement did have minor drift out of the box, but it only affects the zero-deadzone map cursor on COD: Warzone, so I didn't bother complaining.

You really should be able to control deadzones at a controller level in the app so tiny drift issues can be fixed across all games.

The materials in the Elite are lovely, but I really wasn't keen on the added weight and couldn't get my brain to go from using buttons to paddles.

The way they seem so prone to fall to bits/go wrong also really puts me off ever getting another one. My last one developed an annoying squeak on the right trigger.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The materials in the Elite are lovely, but I really wasn't keen on the added weight and couldn't get my brain to go from using buttons to paddles.

The first step to using the paddles is replacing stick-clicking. Going back to having to do that was super hard.

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

If they just included a lifetime guarantee, and would courier a new one to your front door within 24 hours at the first sign of trouble, it'd be perfect.

Or made a controller that lasted as well as their "cheap" ones. That would be good too.

4 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Or made a controller that lasted as well as their "cheap" ones. That would be good too.

I don't know if you've looked into whether it's a wider issue or if you've just been unlucky, but I've got 2 here that are both perfect after plenty of use. I'm especially impressed with the one my son has, as he's an animal with controllers.

Still, for the price, you shouldn't have gone through 3 so quickly. It's such a step up from the v1 materials-wise as well.

18 minutes ago, Pob said:

You really should be able to control deadzones at a controller level in the app so tiny drift issues can be fixed across all games.

Is this not possible in the app? I really thought it was but I haven't messed with it too much admittedly. Apart from using 2 paddles, which I mostly use to replace stick click, and using the circular D-Pad everything else is basically default so I'm not really getting the most out of it but I just like how nice and weighty it feels. Also, not having to click the left stick to run while pushing forward on it which is the worst thing developers have ever tried to force on us ever.

We ended up with a replaced V1 Elite and even then something went wrong with the replacement. NEver had a bother with the Xbox consoles but the pads are fffffffffffffffffucking awful in their construction. The Titanfall one I had won't stay synced, the Sea of Thieves one has drift on the right stick (as did one of my black ones). I don't know what it is about pads that companies get wrong.  @wev was talking about his Ps4 Dualshock yesterday doing the same thing.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

We ended up with a replaced V1 Elite and even then something went wrong with the replacement. NEver had a bother with the Xbox consoles but the pads are fffffffffffffffffucking awful in their construction. The Titanfall one I had won't stay synced, the Sea of Thieves one has drift on the right stick (as did one of my black ones). I don't know what it is about pads that companies get wrong.  @wev was talking about his Ps4 Dualshock yesterday doing the same thing.

Yep, I have two DS4's, an official one and an ebay knock off of the orange Amazon exclusive one.

The knock off one doesn't register a left input, at all. It was £25 so, wasn't expensive, but my official black DS4 now has a really minor upward/forward input that only happens randomly, its not a constant thing. However I play alot of FFXIV and in that when playing casting roles, or summoning mounts, or teleporting, there's a casting time and it frequently interupts that and I have to input the action again. Yesterday I was playing and it interupted me healing 3 times leading me to die...

Never had a problem with any controllers until this generation.

I've heard way too many complaints about the build quality of the Elites to go near them.

No use if you want paddles, but if you're just after a better feeling Xbox controller my custom one from Xbox Design Lab has been great. The rubberised grips feel really nice and after almost two years of use the sticks haven't noticeably loosened.

At this point it's probably worth waiting for them to make the Series' controller revision customisable, as that has the Share button, additional grip on the triggers/bumpers and the improved(?) d-pad. It has lightly textured grips, too, although I'm guessing the rubberised version will remain superior.

Oh, this is mine:

image.png.03fbd8d83a400d9e2aaf2e959b6602f8.pngimage.png.bfee1e514bfc313778c6a5d953a93d36.png

7 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I think it’s just down to all those moving parts and how much hammer they get. They’re obviously going to be the first thing to fail.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S