Xbox Series X | S

So I have a PS5 pre-ordered but I decided to go with the all access series S as well. The first time i've ever bought an xbox on launch and generally I've never invested anywhere near as much time into the xbox stuff before but it's insanely good value plus I do enjoy the somewhat janky Bethesda stuff and I can't wait for the new fable game.

The intention is this will be the family console so my wife and daughter will be able to play it more often than not but I have a feeling that it may end up being the reverse yet with them playing the ps5 more :D We shall see

Ok, I've got an X preordered! It said I was in a queue which would take 45 minutes, then a minute later it pinged it was my turn. Entered all my information and paid £5 and I've now received an e-mail confirmation. Very pain-free! Quite surprised

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

So I have a PS5 pre-ordered but I decided to go with the all access series S as well. The first time i've ever bought an xbox on launch and generally I've never invested anywhere near as much time into the xbox stuff before but it's insanely good value plus I do enjoy the somewhat janky Bethesda stuff and I can't wait for the new fable game.

The intention is this will be the family console so my wife and daughter will be able to play it more often than not but I have a feeling that it may end up being the reverse yet with them playing the ps5 more :D We shall see

I'm absolutely all in for both this generation. It does seem a more viable proposition than last time, with the PS5 for all it's exclusives and to basically play with my PS5 owning pals, and also an Xbox for quite a lot of 3rd party stuff and Game Pass. I'm defo sold on it. 

The PS5 is getting bought first though, because Demon's Souls but I'm upselling myself from a Series S to a Series X, as I really want a drive in the machine! I still have my full library of 360 discs and there's loads of games that I can play on the new machine. And I have a 4K OLED so, Series X it is. 

....but a purchase that will have to wait till next year though, as I can't drop all that cash on both machines in November. Defo not :/

2 hours ago, tronied said:

Well, I was going to go after the all access option, but I've entered myself into the queue and will see what happens. The whole way it was managed on pre-order day was rubbish. Even those who made it through to Klunge (or whatever they call themselves), people were getting refused for seemingly no reason with perfect credit scores and that then counts against them in future. It's just not worth the hassle and so I'll buy outright now and handle the Ultimate subscription myself.

I was tempted by the all access thing but yeah I'll give it a whirl after launch traffic has died down given they record a credit check against you and rejection if there is no stock. fuck that!

11 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I was tempted by the all access thing but yeah I'll give it a whirl after launch traffic has died down given they record a credit check against you and rejection if there is no stock. fuck that!

Klarna have said they intend to get all those removed. Not ideal but at least it’s being resolved. 

10 hours ago, TehStu said:

Ok, I was going to get a play and charge kit without thinking, but all this eneloop chat has me considering AAs. 

Is this the one? By Panasonic? 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panasonic-eneloop-rechargeable-aa-batteries-12-pack/5467056.p?skuId=5467056

I've already got a AAA through D charger, but only have various Energizer batteries. Some are 2500mAh which is higher than these eneloops. 

Totally up for changing my approach though. Sell me on these :)

Those are the eneloops indeed but I have found other rechargeable brands can be almost as good. The energizers you have will probably be fine and hold way more charge than a play/charge kit. Similarly ikea LADDA batteries and even amazon basics ones can be perfectly fine.

I have eneloops that are 9 years old that will still power an xbox one controller for longer than a play/chaerge kit or PS4 controller.

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

Those are the eneloops indeed but I have found other rechargeable brands can be almost as good. The energizers you have will probably be fine and hold way more charge than a play/charge kit. Similarly ikea LADDA batteries and even amazon basics ones can be perfectly fine.

I have eneloops that are 9 years old that will still power an xbox one controller for longer than a play/chaerge kit or PS4 controller.

Sod it, will fetch some more 2500 energizers. I can't believe it never occurred to me to do this. 

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Sorry. I read this thread closely and don't recall. I'll go Google it. 

Sorry if that seemed harsh, I didn't mean it to be. This seems to be a subject which comes up all the time, it always plays out the same - "Why no integrated battery?!" "I prefer the choice" "I like the play and charge because I don't have to think about it" "but the wire?! I like to use rechargeables" "One word. Eneloops." "Oh wow, they seem cheaper too!" "Yeah, eneloops are good but Ikea do some as well" "Yeah but then you have to change the batteries out and sometimes they go right in the middle of an online game" "That's never happened to me" Then someone drops by to say "By the way, My Playstation pad is from launch and still lasts a full month without need for charging"

It's because in these topics, which encompass everything about an entire system, it's games, peripherals, services and anything else it's likely that at any given time it won't be about the specific thing that people are interested in so they just fire off a question and then the same people get drawn in.

You can see last week's version of that conversation starting here:

17 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

It's because in these topics, which encompass everything about an entire system, it's games, peripherals, services and anything else it's likely that it won't be about the specific thing that people are interested in so they just fire off a question and then the same people get drawn in.

No worries, didn't seem harsh, just didn't want to cause another circular discussion. It's absolutely the fault of megathreads, which are totally easy but terrible for finding specific information. Like running an MMO on discord instead of a forum.

7 hours ago, rafaqat said:

PS5 thread has save game chat.   We have battery and £1 GP chat.  :D

Switch thread has the most.

- “Do I need a pro pad?”

- Cloud saves/online service questions/disappointment.

- Joy Con drift: what to do.

-  Picture of the absolute unit of a hori split pad gets posted.

- “Can I use a third party dock?” (Use the official charging cable)

I’m sure I missed a few too.

I preordered with ShopTo in early June:

Dear Valued Customer,

We have received the allocation details from Microsoft and, unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we will not be able to fulfil your pre-order on day one/release date.

Kind regards,

ShopTo team.

FU ShopTo <_<

27 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Literally never seen that in the Switch thread tbf.

you are right - just every other game thread then :D "would be perfect for switch"

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

FU ShopTo <_<

Was a similar cut-off for PS5 preorders with them - if you didn't get it in by before June/July you were shit out of luck. 

To be fair, they never claimed registering your interest was a guarantee but they've been allowing people to do it for so long now (I was amazed to check my account and see I had registered my interest in January, I thought it was much later) that there must be a lot of disappointed people out there.

You didn't preorder with shopto. You pre-ordered a preorder. They've only just been given their allocation for preorders. 

Stupid, mildly deceptive thing for them to pull. 

I think I got in on that currys batch? We'll see as I don't entirely trust them. I've got an s preordered at ms but since then talked myself into the full fat model so will cancel that if currys come through (as they're taking the money before MS will). 

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

FU ShopTo <_<

Me too. I was stupid enough to pay upfront too. I wont be using them again and I've cancelled my other preorders with them.

Did ShopTo pre-order pre-orders get priority over the pre-orders entered on the day they officially went live?

If not that’s a bit shitty. What was the point in that whole charade?

If they did but ShopTo don’t have enough allocation to cover those early registers then frankly that’s fine (although annoying). Why would anyone from that early group assume there are enough in their allocation to get one day one?

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Stupid, mildly deceptive thing for them to pull. 

I don't think it was deceptive really. The website clearly said that you were registering your interest, that it was not a preorder, and that nothing was guaranteed. You were basically just putting yourself in a queue for when preorders did go live.

The problem is that people had no idea how the long the queue was when they were registering their interest, and therefore how likely they were to get a preorder. Also since Shopto had no idea what their allocation was they didn't really know when it might be a good idea to stop people registering interest.

I think it's a decent idea to be honest, there were just flaws in the execution. But I like the idea that I could register my interest and put myself in a queue months ago when everything was calm and then when preorders go live get a week to confirm that holding place in the queue. Beats spending the morning sitting in front of several websites that are simultaneously dying while hitting the refresh button and hoping one of them eventually works

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic