IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Genuine question... can the majority of you really tell the difference in the two frame rate examples easily most of the time?

I was just going through that DF video (impressive BC performance) and some of the clips looked pretty much identical to my eyes. Sure it's very obvious when you get big dips (in fact inconsistent frame rate is one of my bugbears in games) and you can really see the difference in slow motion, but looking at the Hitman example when running steady 4K@30 and 4K@60 I honest don't think I could tell them apart.

Perhaps it's different when actually in control or maybe my eyes just don't have the required refresh rate. :D 

I think it's pretty easy to tell 30/60 apart

10 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Genuine question... can the majority of you really tell the difference in two frame rates easily most of the time?

I was just going through that DF video (impressive BC performance) and some of the clips looked pretty much identical to my eyes. Sure it's very obvious when you get big dips (in fact inconsistent frame rate is one of my bugbears in games) and you can really see the difference in slow motion, but looking at the Hitman example when running steady 4K@30 and 4K@60 I honest don't think I could tell them apart.

Perhaps it's different when actually in control or maybe my eyes just don't have the required refresh rate. :D 

It's pretty easy to tell them apart.

9 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@FiveFootNinja

Not taking the piss but what frame rate were you watching it at? On which device? 

I think this is key.

10 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@FiveFootNinja

Not taking the piss but what frame rate were you watching it at? On which device? 

1080p60 on a MacBook Pro

It's weird, I like 60fps in game when playing. But to be honest I've never really sat at watched a video comparison of them before this one and in a lot of those examples I'm not sure if you asked me which was which without the counter I'd be confident telling you (as long as it's consistent).

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Genuine question... can the majority of you really tell the difference in the two frame rate examples easily most of the time?

When I’m playing, sure and immediately. One is arcade like, one is not: and switching back to 30 on a different game when I’ve been playing at 60 is painful.

when I’m watching a DF video, on an iPad, in a small window? Very rarely unless I’m really looking for it (I mean I can see the difference, but I have to concentrate a bit), but I assume they’re not lying to me.

frame tearing, I think I’m less sensitive unless it’s awful.

recent DF videos where I’ve really noticed the frame rate? Deadly Premonition 2...

@Pockets @footle Yeah it's definitely the side-by-side/screen clutter thing that has put me off in this instance. I just found some good full screen videos at 1080p60 on YouTube running through several games at 30 and then 60 (general demos not Series X) and it was suddenly really really noticeable. I went back to the DF one above and immediately couldn't really the difference again (unless I focus on looking at just one detail or something). Feels a bit weird, it's like my eyes just decide to neutralise all the movement to one single FPS lock when they are on the screen together.

Either way, stable 60 is all good with me and I'm intrigued to play something at 120, I don't think I ever have.

22 minutes ago, Ry said:

I was thinking, with EA Access coming to game pass that means everyone will have access to Fight Night: Champion. (Best boxing game ever)

We need to get a tournament/boxing night going!

I haven't played a boxing game since Ready to Rumble on the Dreamcast. :)

These previews are just the kind of thing that this console launch needed. There’s 1000 titles in the BC library so far according to the Ars Technica preview; that’s what, a third of the entire Xbox One + 360 catalogue already? And they say that if you’re daring you can stick a straw or whatever in to the big vent holes in the top; there’s a finer mesh further down and the fan is rubberised to withstand the abuse.

I wonder if you could fill that top chamber with confetti.

13 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Auto HDR sounds like a great feature. 

Forcing HDR on something that doesn't normally have dedicated HDR will always be terrible. At best, no matter how "nice" it is, it'll still look different to the image that the art originally intended. At worst, it'll look like utter over saturated garbage.

1 minute ago, Benny said:

Forcing HDR on something that doesn't normally have dedicated HDR will always be terrible. At best, no matter how "nice" it is, it'll still look different to the image that the art originally intended. At worst, it'll look like utter over saturated garbage.

I think they've said that they manually intervene when it's not working out. 

Apparently it currently does things like turn a white shirt or road lines as bright as the sun because they’re all big white things. I was always kind of sceptical about what you’d be able to do there. It’s a system level setting so it can just be disabled though, maybe they’d be kind enough to make it game-level.

HDR really isn't something that should be brute forced. It can be a subtle and incredible looking technology when done right and with it implemented as an intentional enhancement to the originally intended image, but when it's just slapped onto things it's almost always as bad as when you see TVs displayed in shops with their brightness and contrast settings to maximum and everything looking weird.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

HDR really isn't something that should be brute forced. It can be a subtle and incredible looking technology when done right, but when it's just slapped onto things it's almost always as bad as when you see TVs displayed in shops with their brightness and contrast settings to maximum and everything looking weird.

I wonder why they’re bothering with it then. I can understand them trying it out, but if it gives results as bad as you say, then why didn’t they just shelve it?

I’ve only seen the Gears 5 demo of it and it looked pretty good to me there.