Xbox Series X | S

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.

So is there still a way to get a decent period of Gamepass for cheap, or is paying for it alongside the console via all access the best way?

As someone outside the xbox ecosystem since the 360, I've got a live account but never used gamepass...

This was mentioned in the Series S thread but it applies to all new Xboxes:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-this-is-how-xbox-series-s-back-compat-really-works

However, there is one more feature that Microsoft has only mentioned in passing - and now we know more details, we're excited by it: the idea that select Xbox One titles will run at double the frame-rate on the new consoles, including Series S.

"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

The way Xbox One X handled non-enhanced Xbox One S titles was interesting - effectively users saw the enhanced GPU only running at half-rate, its compute units split between vertex and pixel processing. The new consoles are designed to run legacy Xbox One titles with the full power of both CPU and the new RDNA 2 GPUs.

So, as we understand it, existing Xbox titles can be enhanced for both Series S and Series X in different ways - the compatibility team can step in with its own specific type of magic, opening the door to running 30fps games at 60fps and 60fps titles at 120fps. Alternatively, developers now have the tools to see where their existing Xbox One games are running - and if it's a Series S or Series X machine, aspects like doubling the frame-rate become possible (and perhaps other features could be enabled too) - all without having to 'port' their games to the next-gen platform. The extent to which take-up will be there is of crucial importance, of course, but the potential is certainly very exciting and we're really looking forward to testing this out on both of the new Xbox machines.

Making it easy for XB1 games to be patched to 60fps is awesome. I hope we see lots of games take advantage of it - Red Dead 2 etc.

Apologies if I've missed this, but have Microsoft made any announcements on production and supply levels on this and the Series X?

Having had a very expensive week last week with the PS5 and I think I'm going to have to sit the pre-orders out. I would like to get in pre-Christmas ideally though once some of my invoices get paid and I was wondering if they had said how many units they had intended to ship?

Hmm, I was just going to go All Access for simplicity but I'm having last minute second thoughts. CDKeys are doing 12 months of Live Gold for £40, so I *should* be able to get the equivalent of the All Access deal for £250+£40+40+£1 = £331, is that right? If so that's £173 cheaper than buying All Access which seems like a no-brainer (although you have to pay it all at once of course).

I've never had an Xbox account so this is all new to me.

This is the CDKeys link, is this what I should be buying?

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360-eu-cd-key

I'm completely confused by Shopto's system. I registered my interest a while back and then logged back in when the price and release date was confirmed to find it was requesting me to enter payment details. I then received an email confirming my preorder and my account page confirms I have an XBox Series X Preorder. 

However, so far I cant get a response from their customer service to say whether or not I have a preorder or not. Has anyone else managed to get any answer from them?

2 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I'm completely confused by Shopto's system. I registered my interest a while back and then logged back in when the price and release date was confirmed to find it was requesting me to enter payment details. I then received an email confirming my preorder and my account page confirms I have an XBox Series X Preorder. 

However, so far I cant get a response from their customer service to say whether or not I have a preorder or not. Has anyone else managed to get any answer from them?

I registered my interest for both pS5 and Xbox in about 8 different places and never got word from any. 

I'm just praying Incan get a XSX at Argos tomorrow and it's the only place I have credit to actually get one. 

If my calculations are correct (far from certain) then that works out at £13.80 a month over the two years, about 34% cheaper than All Access.

If you buy three years Live as @Dudley suggests, that's a total of £371, which is equivalent to £10.31 a month over 36 months! That's cheaper than GPU by itself AND you get the Series S too.

That can't be right, can it?

I feel like Shopto are real scammers with this 1p to preorder, but I paid it like a sucker. I don't even intend to buy from them, my hope is to just buy from Amazon because it's easier and simpler, but I have a whole bunch of links bookmarked to just see what happens tomorrow. No idea how difficult this one will be.

11 minutes ago, Darren said:

If my calculations are correct (far from certain) then that works out at £13.80 a month over the two years, about 34% cheaper than All Access.

If you buy three years Live as @Dudley suggests, that's a total of £371, which is equivalent to £10.31 a month over 36 months! That's cheaper than GPU by itself AND you get the Series S too.

That can't be right, can it?

Welcome to the world of £1 upgrade hacks. Depends on that hack persisting till the point you get the Series S though. I'd consider locking it in.

58 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You will still be able to stock up 3 years live and convert it for a quid.

You should do this.

Should I do this and go all access though?  So if I stock up for 3 years live, and then get a code with all access for 2 years, does that mean i'm good for 5, or do the codes expire if not used.  Well aware you and this forum are not xbox customer service, but that I am treating you as such :lol:

Wow, I'm so glad we had this conversation today. Thanks folks for helping us Xbox newbies out, I know we're asking stupid questions but that's because we're stupid it's not something we've ever looked into and Microsoft obviously aren't advertising this amazing deal. I also agree we should probably make the most of it while it lasts, and it seems like if they're going to discontinue it tomorrow might be when they do.

So I'm thinking I should do this:

TODAY

1. Create an Xbox account (I presume I can do this without an Xbox).

2. Buy three 12-month Live Gold codes from CDKeys for £120.

3. Redeem those codes on my new account. (Isn't there an extra trick to get a free month with each voucher?)

4. Convert my 36 (39?) months of Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate for £1.

TOMORROW

5. Pre-order a Series S from Amazon or somewhere for £250.

10th NOVEMBER

6. Take the day off work and spend the day looking forlornly out of the window for the delivery driver.

7. Begin three years of Xbox gaming for £371 all-inclusive.

Does that seem like a good plan and if so what's the trick in step 3?

Folks I signed up for the 1 pound "hack" a while ago but I have just seen that it runs out on 24th December i.e after that date I have no XBox Live nor Game Pass Ultimate.

What can I do right now to get Game Pass Ultimate for as cheap as possible for the longest time possible? Are there options, still? :)

Yeah I posted about this a few days ago re ShopTo.  You register interest with this 1p, they then ask if you want to keep or cancel your pre-order once pre orders go live.  If you keep, they will then notify you at a later date if you are being allocated a unit for day 1 once they know their full allocation.  All a bit odd.

29 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I feel like Shopto are real scammers with this 1p to preorder, but I paid it like a sucker. I don't even intend to buy from them, my hope is to just buy from Amazon because it's easier and simpler, but I have a whole bunch of links bookmarked to just see what happens tomorrow. No idea how difficult this one will be.

Are you sure the 1p isn’t just going through as a card authorisation to check the card is valid, have they taken the money? I’ve used ShopTo for years and never had any issues (other than crappy website).

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Hmm, I was just going to go All Access for simplicity but I'm having last minute second thoughts. CDKeys are doing 12 months of Live Gold for £40, so I *should* be able to get the equivalent of the All Access deal for £250+£40+40+£1 = £331, is that right? If so that's £173 cheaper than buying All Access which seems like a no-brainer (although you have to pay it all at once of course).

I've never had an Xbox account so this is all new to me.

This is the CDKeys link, is this what I should be buying?

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360-eu-cd-key

Yup that all looks and sounds right to me. 

Have you got access to an Xbox (maybe a friends) on which you could create an account (you may be able to do this on PC too, hopefully someone will confirm) and then see if the £1 offer is still there before you go and spend a load of money on Gold? 

Also you can stack up to 3 years Gold and convert it so if you're happy to spend the cash then I'd recommend doing so as it's quite probably the gaming bargain of the year / decade  ever!!! :)

@Darren There’s no reason you can't do the £1 Ultimate hack and get All Access as well as far as I can see.

The £1 deal is a once only thing and once you’re down to a year just add the All Access code for another two years (because you can only stack up to 3 years).

I’d go for All Access simply because I don’t have £449.99 kicking about at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Darren said:

Wow, I'm so glad we had this conversation today. Thanks folks for helping us Xbox newbies out, I know we're asking stupid questions but that's because we're stupid it's not something we've ever looked into and Microsoft obviously aren't advertising this amazing deal. I also agree we should probably make the most of it while it lasts, and it seems like if they're going to discontinue it tomorrow might be when they do.

So I'm thinking I should do this:

TODAY

1. Create an Xbox account (I presume I can do this without an Xbox).

2. Buy three 12-month Live Gold codes from CDKeys for £120.

3. Redeem those codes on my new account. (Isn't there an extra trick to get a free month with each voucher?)

4. Convert my 36 (39?) months of Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate for £1.

TOMORROW

5. Pre-order a Series S from Amazon or somewhere for £250.

10th NOVEMBER

6. Take the day off work and spend the day looking forlornly out of the window for the delivery driver.

7. Begin three years of Xbox gaming for £371 all-inclusive.

Does that seem like a good plan and if so what's the trick in step 3?

you max out at 36 months regardless, so there isn’t a useful trick for step 3 if you’re starting from scratch. In any case, you don’t get to apply the trick at each step: the conversion is a one time thing.

14 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I'm already part of PC Gamepass paid up until when it goes up to 7.99  next month

i've got a dormant Xbox Account also ( thats paid up intil 13th october )

i'm stuck at what to do really

Did you make a new account for the pc one?

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic