Xbox Series X | S

5 minutes ago, Timmo said:

So firstly, is the benefit of having 4k over 1080p as simple as being down to the size of screen you use, and how close you sit? Or is there more to it than that?

If you have a 1080p TV, you get a downscaled image from 4K, which is nice - a way of getting really clean AA. But the Series S is 1440p, not 1080p, so you'll still get a downscaled image.

It remains to be seen if there will be more important differences like framerate, effects and ray tracing between Series S and Series X, but I think they're aiming for parity except for resolution. We'll probably know for sure closer to release, if they let Digital Foundry have early access, as they did with the One X.

I keep getting tempted into the GPU thread but I think I’m pretty much decided on a series X now. 

There’s the fact that it’s cheaper of course, but also the fast resume feature and HDR working properly without having to mess with it all the time on PC. Added to Game Pass, I think any benefit a 3080 might have loses appeal. 

It would be nice to have a full bells and whistles CP2077 but I can probably run it well as I am anyway and after that I don’t know what else I’d be pushing it with. Then there’s the fact I mainly play football games and the PC versions probably won’t get the next gen update for a year or too. 

I think I’ve convinced myself. 

Wonder why some Devs are making news that their game will work on Series X e.g. Borderlands 3, Rainbow Six, Division 2, Destiny 2.

I'm guessing these are games that are having the proper patched job to make them 4K or some thing, but won't all Xbox one just work?

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Only negative I can see is quotes of £25 a month for gamepass - I thought it was much less than that.

Yeah as the others have said, it is.

It’s £11 a month for Game Pass on it’s own, if you just pay the going rate on a console you already own, but if you can be arsed shopping around and topping it up manually you‘ll find it cheaper. I don’t bother, it’s already a good deal.

It’s £20.99 for a Series S & Game Pass for 24 months.

It’s £28.99 for a Series X & Game Pass for 24 months.

43 minutes ago, Janski said:

Wonder why some Devs are making news that their game will work on Series X e.g. Borderlands 3, Rainbow Six, Division 2, Destiny 2.

I'm guessing these are games that are having the proper patched job to make them 4K or some thing, but won't all Xbox one just work?

Rule of thumb is if it can play on an Xbox One, it can play on a Series S/X. There might be individual patches to games to make them run better on the newer consoles so I imagine thats what certain devs will be talking about.

44 minutes ago, Darren said:

Or, to put it another way, it’s not £25 a month: it’s only £21, after two years it drops to £11 a month and you get a free Xbox Series S thrown in.

Well it’s not free you’re paying £10 per month over two years. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Well it’s not free you’re paying £10 per month over two years. 

That’s another way to put it, yes. I was just making a point of what a bargain it is compared to @Timmo thinking it was £25 a month just for GPU with no console thrown in.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

That’s another way to put it, yes. I was just making a point of what a bargain it is compared to @Timmo thinking it was £25 a month just for GPU with no console thrown in.

Oh yeah it’s a good deal - if you’re happy with £11 for game pass, which is the flat rate monthly anyway, then you’re not really losing out during that period and you get to spread the cost of your finances. 

6 hours ago, friedgold said:

Right, so I'm ready for this. I've literally never (ever) bought a console at launch before. Anyone have any recommendations for where's best to keep on eye on, preorder wise?

amazon for me every time.  Their no nonsense customer service is great and if there’s problems at launch they’ve always been generous with partial refunds or complete returns. As long as you are firm but polite.  

9 hours ago, mushashi said:

I see you have a different use case over the usual one then. Harder to say in that case, depends on your resolution/graphical bling tolerances I suppose and whether that is worth the extra.

It sounds like you already have an X1X, so keeping that for the next year or two instead is certainly the cheapest option. I view the XSS as primarily for casuals and people who can't afford the XSX, dedicated gamers who want minimal compromises should get the XSX if they are going Xbox.

The XSS advantages over the X1X are likely to revolve around the SSD and higher framerates in the short term as Microsoft are still promising to support last gen for a while AFAIK.

Ray-Tracing on a 20CU/4 TFLOP part is going to be interesting to see, the XSX was doing Minecraft DXR at 1080p/playable framerate on a 52CU/12 TFLOP part, the XSS will have to go significantly lower to get the same performance.

Crysis Remastered is going to be an interesting comparison between the X1X and XSS, has a 1080p RT mode so predominately GPU-limited.

The actual fucking state of these acronyms 

17 hours ago, cavalcade said:

Can I just return to this for a moment and say if an author doesn't know the difference between moot and mute (and cache and cachet) then they probably know fuck all about market analytics for next generation console launches and shouldn't be writing faux edgy pieces about them.

doesn’t even put “Netflix for games” in quotes...

13 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Ultimate is 11 quid a month. CDKeys had a year for about 100 quid. There are upgrade deals someone will explain presently where you get your gold and convert it to game pass ultimate for a pound, but I'm.not sure how feasible that is ATM.

Strangely if you buy the three month pass, over a year it works out the cheapest from there at £88.

I'm considering jumping on the game pass bandwagon, and getting a console for my son for Christmas. Currently for something latest gen I'm looking at the Series S, but I'm going to keep an eye on One X prices too (new and used). Obviously it's too soon yet, but what could I expect do you think from a historical perspective?

1 minute ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Apologies if this apparent leak has already been posted... hasn’t seen them before and just seen them on Twitter:

What do you think was happening last week?

(There nothing new in the press briefing.  MS splurged all the info after the initial S leak)

13 hours ago, Janski said:

It'll be interesting to see how much they do to these titles (I assume they're getting a next gen patch) - with comparatively little content to compete with  they have an opportunity to become a next gen must have, without making a next gen game. All they need do is make the existing game as pretty as possible on new hardware. 

21 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

Strangely if you buy the three month pass, over a year it works out the cheapest from there at £88.

I'm considering jumping on the game pass bandwagon, and getting a console for my son for Christmas. Currently for something latest gen I'm looking at the Series S, but I'm going to keep an eye on One X prices too (new and used). Obviously it's too soon yet, but what could I expect do you think from a historical perspective?

That new ones will have been removed from sale, or are part of a fire sale, and old one prices vary. But for all Microsoft’s “continuing generations” I suspect that new content for the One X on game pass will start to fade out over the course of the next year or so.

Would you buy a PS4 Pro, or instead a new console that cost £50 more and had a roadmap for the next four years? (And resale value in a years time).

32 minutes ago, footle said:

That new ones will have been removed from sale, or are part of a fire sale, and old one prices vary. But for all Microsoft’s “continuing generations” I suspect that new content for the One X on game pass will start to fade out over the course of the next year or so.

Would you buy a PS4 Pro, or instead a new console that cost £50 more and had a roadmap for the next four years? (And resale value in a years time).

It's a tough one because £250 is more than I really want to spend on his main present. He's seven, and had a switch lite last year that he doesn't really play (he plays mine connected to the telly). Paying that much for another console would be a hard sell to the wife.

If I could get the One X second hand for £150 or so then it may be easier to swallow.

27 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

It's a tough one because £250 is more than I really want to spend on his main present. He's seven, and had a switch lite last year that he doesn't really play (he plays mine connected to the telly). Paying that much for another console would be a hard sell to the wife.

If I could get the One X second hand for £150 or so then it may be easier to swallow.

Unless you get lucky with the reconditioned ones from Amazon I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. I can't see the one X dropping that much after the Series S release. Keep your eyes open for deals, mind.

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

It'll be interesting to see how much they do to these titles (I assume they're getting a next gen patch) - with comparatively little content to compete with  they have an opportunity to become a next gen must have, without making a next gen game. All they need do is make the existing game as pretty as possible on new hardware. 

Very true for me. I just want to play Destiny 2 without the appalling loading delays we get now.

13 minutes ago, hub2 said:

SSD?

Still not great going by this video IMO...

3 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Voilà!

Dude, that's not remotely representative of what you can expect from an SSD. Afaik the current gen consoles aren't capable of taking full or barely any advantage of putting an SSD in there 

From the first thing I googled:

"PS4 motherboard only supports SATA II interface, an obsolete generation of SATA that offers transfer speed up to 300 MB/s, and that imposes a huge limitation on the speed of modern SSDs that require SATA III (Offers transfer speed up to 600 MB/s) to take the most advantages of it.

Moreover, PS4 CPU is not that powerful to handle the multitask requests that SSDs are primarily made for. Additionally, PS4 operating system is not coded to deal with SSDs, that is why lots of performance points will be lost if SSD is added to PS4"

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic