Xbox Series X | S

14 hours ago, S0L said:

The only pause is this is all digital and so you'll be stuck with whatever MS decide on prices. We know the on console store will be higher than retail, you'll have no way to sell games you're done with and if they hike Gamepass, suddenly it's not great value and you're locked into whatever they do. Right now I don't think they will, it would just push people Sony or Nintendo's way, but that's the bit that makes me feel a bit torn. As then the X is likely worth the £200 due to the drive.

Interesting times though, we'll see what Sony does next before I pre-order I think :)

The thing I've liked about MS is that you can buy gamepass codes and games from other regions fairly easily. On the same account.  I've bought stuff form the russian, indian and brazillian store faaar cheaper than the UK equivalent.   Then there's also the fact that if you game share, your save files get sync'd regardless of whether your console is set as you primary or not.  I've found the digital path with MS to be pretty decent. 

On 11/09/2020 at 11:05, tobert said:

I wonder if MS will tighten up on pricing next gen, you offer stonking deals early on to attract people and build the service service but, once its becomes established, then  I would imagine they will look to maximum earngins. For example things like netflix or spotify don't see big discounts unless you were a new subscriber or its bundled with something else like a phone contract.

VPN to Turkey. Subscribe to Spotify or Netflix for a couple of quid.  It's easy.

23 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

The thing I've liked about MS is that you can buy gamepass codes and games from other regions fairly easily. On the same account.  I've bought stuff form the russian, indian and brazillian store faaar cheaper than the UK equivalent.   Then there's also the fact that if you game share, your save files get sync'd regardless of whether your console is set as you primary or not.  I've found the digital path with MS to be pretty decent. 

For sure, same with Nintendo with the Russian eShop. But just as you can now, as they're not in first place, doesn't mean they won't close this loophole down the line if this changes. 

I don't want to use the phrase legitimate concern, but...

In reality I don't think it's likely, as I say, it'll just push people to their competitors, but we have all seen what happens when one of the platforms holders think that are unassailable.

11 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Does that mean no 60fps EDF on the SS?

*crying*

EDF is *not* enhanced. It simply runs at 60FPS because that's the frame rate cap in the 360 game and the emulation is just so good that the XB1 hardware allows it to reach an unprecedented solid 60FPS. At least the 1X does, no idea whether the potato XB1 does. But it should easily be 60FPS on the series S also.

6 hours ago, S0L said:

For sure, same with Nintendo with the Russian eShop. But just as you can now, as they're not in first place, doesn't mean they won't close this loophole down the line if this changes. 

But then they'd have to restrict the whole gifting of games as well.

9 hours ago, rafaqat said:

VPN to Turkey. Subscribe to Spotify or Netflix for a couple of quid.  It's easy.

yeah, that does not work. you need a card from the county.

30 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Works with a revolut card. Well. Did when I did it. 

I managed to get Netflix to work with revolut about 12 months back but nothing else has worked since. Some people are still reporting being able to use revolut to access services in other countries but also loads reporting that it no longer works. Most recent I tried was Sony for psplus and I couldn't get it to work with that.

10 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Agreed. I’ve pre-ordered Yakuza 7 by buying it off the Mexican store for the equivalent of £27. Bargain!

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

yeah, that does not work. you need a card from the county.

Have a look at the guides on HotUKDeals. With Netflix, you need to sign up with a Monzo or Revolut card in your current region, pay for a month in your home region with that card and then cancel. Then when you renew, you use the VPN and the existing card details and it goes through.

I’m still undecided on one of these. I think it will probably depend on what the PS5 costs, as ideally I’d like both. If the PS5 is cheap enough that I’ll probably get one soonish, I think I can live with a Series S as a Gamepass box and play everything third party on the PS5, as it has a disc drive. If the PS5 is super expensive, I’ll probably wait for a hardware refresh and get a Series X in the meantime.

Ideally, I’d like to wait for comparisons between the S and X so I can make a more informed decision, but am a bit worried about stock issues meaning I can’t get one in the first few months, unless I preorder. 

I guess the takeaway is that either way, Game Pass will ensure I end up with an Xbox this gen, so they’ve basically already won that battle.

No brainer for me getting the Series X. I've still got a huge pile of shame to work through and also looking at getting my first 4k TV. Playing all the games I haven't got to yet, with the extra oomph of the series X and on a 4K TV. Can't wait!

20 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Ideally, I’d like to wait for comparisons between the S and X so I can make a more informed decision, but am a bit worried about stock issues meaning I can’t get one in the first few months, unless I preorder. 

Unless you don't care about the finer details, but you clearly do, hence wanting to await for comparisons, I'd be willing to bet money that the XSX is the better long term investment over the upfront saving of the XSS for anybody who cares about technicals.

5 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Unless you don't care about the finer details, but you clearly do, hence wanting to await for comparisons, I'd be willing to bet money that the XSX is the better long term investment over the upfront saving of the XSS for anybody who cares about technicals.

I would only go for the S if I had a PS5 to play all non-gamepass games on, because I would spend hundreds of pounds more per year on gaming if I couldn’t sell my games on.

I don’t really tend to play old games very much, so losing X enhancements would be a bit unfortunate (Forza Horizon and RDR1 look incredible), but I could definitely live with it.

I’m mainly interested in the enhancements to see if a Series S is an upgrade over a One X for a lot of next gen games, as just keeping that and getting a PS5 is yet another option.

Let’s hope Sony actually give us the details we want this Wednesday.

I see you have a different use case over the usual one then. Harder to say in that case, depends on your resolution/graphical bling tolerances I suppose and whether that is worth the extra.

It sounds like you already have an X1X, so keeping that for the next year or two instead is certainly the cheapest option. I view the XSS as primarily for casuals and people who can't afford the XSX, dedicated gamers who want minimal compromises should get the XSX if they are going Xbox.

The XSS advantages over the X1X are likely to revolve around the SSD and higher framerates in the short term as Microsoft are still promising to support last gen for a while AFAIK.

Ray-Tracing on a 20CU/4 TFLOP part is going to be interesting to see, the XSX was doing Minecraft DXR at 1080p/playable framerate on a 52CU/12 TFLOP part, the XSS will have to go significantly lower to get the same performance.

Crysis Remastered is going to be an interesting comparison between the X1X and XSS, has a 1080p RT mode so predominately GPU-limited.

36 minutes ago, friedgold said:

Right, so I'm ready for this. I've literally never (ever) bought a console at launch before. Anyone have any recommendations for where's best to keep on eye on, preorder wise?

It isn’t a PS5. It’ll be easy to get a preorder for launch as long as you put an order in on the day the preorders open.

56 minutes ago, friedgold said:

Right, so I'm ready for this. I've literally never (ever) bought a console at launch before. Anyone have any recommendations for where's best to keep on eye on, preorder wise?

Shop To or Simply are reliable.  You can also order directly from Microsoft (UPS delivery).  I wouldn't use Amazon unless you have particular reason to do so.

7 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

EDF is *not* enhanced. It simply runs at 60FPS because that's the frame rate cap in the 360 game and the emulation is just so good that the XB1 hardware allows it to reach an unprecedented solid 60FPS. At least the 1X does, no idea whether the potato XB1 does. But it should easily be 60FPS on the series S also.

W00t

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Shopto have always been good for me. Amazon have been ok of late too. 

I had an awful experience with Amazon for my launch-day Switch - spent all day waiting before getting a "failed to deliver your package" message. I'm definitely avoiding them this time around. 

I routinely pre-order in two places to hopefully avoid mess ups - I seem to remember some smaller places having issues with stock allocation in the past. Inevitably they start trying to reassure customers and I pick which to go with based what they say on that. 

Although with them coming out on a Tuesday, I’ll be less annoyed if it shows up a day late. 

I remember, with the PS4 launch, I used to live in hospital accommodation and come back home on weekends. On launch day, I had to put up with 2+hours of M25 Friday mayhem after a long week of work. By the time I’d got home, got the thing updated and resogun installed, I played it for like 30 mins and then fell asleep. 

I’m hoping one of these launches will be a bit better than that one. 

Ok, so I don't really follow all the really techy stuff, but to me this looks like an amazing deal.

I'll only be playing on a relatively small screen, and I haven't bought a physical game in years. I was already thinking of moving away from the PS4 due to game pass, but this price for what looks like everything I need for next gen looks great.

So firstly, is the benefit of having 4k over 1080p as simple as being down to the size of screen you use, and how close you sit? Or is there more to it than that?

Only negative I can see is quotes of £25 a month for gamepass - I thought it was much less than that.

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

Ok, so I don't really follow who the really techy stuff, but to me this looks like an amazing deal.

I'll only be playing on a relatively small screen, and I haven't bought a physical game in years. I was already thinking of moving away from the PS4 due to game pass, but this price for what looks like everything I need for next gen looks great.

So firstly, is the benefit of having 4k over 1080p as simple as being down to the size of screen you use, and how close you sit? Or is there more to it than that?

Only negative I can see is quotes of £25 a month for gamepass - I thought it was much less than that.

Ultimate is 11 quid a month. CDKeys had a year for about 100 quid. There are upgrade deals someone will explain presently where you get your gold and convert it to game pass ultimate for a pound, but I'm.not sure how feasible that is ATM.

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Ok, so I don't really follow who the really techy stuff, but to me this looks like an amazing deal.

£25/month - includes a console...

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic