Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


djbhammer
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm guessing that stand has a heavy base, how else does it hold the TV?


I don't have the exact stand, but mine is about 9kg on its own. Wouldn't spend all day throwing the thing around, but it's light enough that I was able to carry that and the TV across the house when it was plumbed in, and the base and the bolts are more than enough for those piss-thin LED TVs.

Your mileage may vary of course - I'd still shit myself mounting the likes of my brother's panny plasma to the wall, let alone a metal plinth, so just make sure about checking what your TV weighs and get something with good reviews and is rated for the size and weight of it. And has enough clearance for either the Series X or the Series-S-One-X-Fuck-Tower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Quexex said:

Worth a read if you are looking at going the finance option - whilst cheaper on paper it does come with strings.

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-09-xbox-all-access-the-best-way-to-buy-an-xbox-series-x-or-xbox-series-s

 

Is it just me that feels perhaps EG are a tad anti Xbox? Surely if it were just the same price as buying it outright then that would be good enough but it’s actually cheaper! Isn’t normally the case that people who perhaps can’t afford things outright end up paying over the odds (or at least some interest) for the finance that’s allowed their purchase? Also am I missing something (perfectly plausible) but how come they don’t factor the value of EA play into their calculations?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Is it just me that feels perhaps EG are a tad anti Xbox? Surely if it were just the same price as buying it outright then that would be good enough but it’s actually cheaper! Isn’t normally the case that people who perhaps can’t afford things outright end up paying over the odds (or at least some interest) for the finance that’s allowed their purchase? Also am I missing something (perfectly plausible) but how come they don’t factor the value of EA play into their calculations?? 

 

They did - EA are awful and now they're on Gamepass, it's significantly lowered the value proposition ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, sammy said:

@Ry More that you’d need the deductive powers of Sherlock to reach such a definitive statement while we don’t yet know the launch line up for either machine. (I’ll come back and edit it to a Mystic Meg emoji if you’re right ;))

 

I hope I'm wrong. Nothing shown for launch has impressed me though. Hoping Sony have a big hitter ready to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Is it just me that feels perhaps EG are a tad anti Xbox? Surely if it were just the same price as buying it outright then that would be good enough but it’s actually cheaper! Isn’t normally the case that people who perhaps can’t afford things outright end up paying over the odds (or at least some interest) for the finance that’s allowed their purchase? Also am I missing something (perfectly plausible) but how come they don’t factor the value of EA play into their calculations?? 

 

Anti Xbox has definitely been a big thing this gen in a lot of places I read and watch. 

 

If you are a fanboy to any corporation you are a twat imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

 

 

 

Hmmm... they were sounding a few notes of caution with regards to the reduced RAM and GPU there. Mentioning the Unreal Engine 5 demo that was running at 1440p on a PS5 and wondering what the implications for Series S could be should a Series X/PS5 game target a similar resolution and effects. 

 

I don’t think it’s quite as easy as just posting the marketing video with giant beard man and hand-waving away any questions. It will probably take a while and makes absolutely no difference to my intention to buy one but I do think there will be some inevitable and potentially significant compromises beyond just lowered resolution that will have to be made for certain games at some point. Not a major concern for the time being but something to maybe keep in mind for those who were undecided between Series S and X.

 

Still undoubtedly a cracking bit of kit and a wonderful feat of engineering to squeeze it into such a dinky box though. I think the big fan vent on top is ugly as sin but it does hark back to previous generations of consoles in terms of its dimensions and that’s pretty cool, considering the big monolithic slabs we’ve had under our TVs for the past decade or more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

Is it just me that feels perhaps EG are a tad anti Xbox? Surely if it were just the same price as buying it outright then that would be good enough but it’s actually cheaper! Isn’t normally the case that people who perhaps can’t afford things outright end up paying over the odds (or at least some interest) for the finance that’s allowed their purchase? Also am I missing something (perfectly plausible) but how come they don’t factor the value of EA play into their calculations?? 

People still read Eurogamer? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

Is it just me that feels perhaps EG are a tad anti Xbox? Surely if it were just the same price as buying it outright then that would be good enough but it’s actually cheaper! Isn’t normally the case that people who perhaps can’t afford things outright end up paying over the odds (or at least some interest) for the finance that’s allowed their purchase? Also am I missing something (perfectly plausible) but how come they don’t factor the value of EA play into their calculations?? 

Amazon offer paying by installments with no extra cost for some more expensive products like consoles, but that's only over 5 months not two years. it's certainly not a standard thing and should always be seen as a positive move in my mind. As long as the credit terms aren't onerous for those who get into problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, womble9 said:

Is it just me that feels perhaps EG are a tad anti Xbox? Surely if it were just the same price as buying it outright then that would be good enough but it’s actually cheaper! Isn’t normally the case that people who perhaps can’t afford things outright end up paying over the odds (or at least some interest) for the finance that’s allowed their purchase? Also am I missing something (perfectly plausible) but how come they don’t factor the value of EA play into their calculations?? 


EA Play should not be a deciding factor in whether you buy an Xbox. I’ve subscribed to EA Access for multiple years, and decided nine months ago to scrap it, because any EA game I actually wanted to play I’d have bought in advance of it coming out on EA Access, and everything else was shit in comparison with the content on Game Pass.

 

Which is probably why the deals been done - it sounds good for Microsoft, and it compensates EA for the fact they’ve got a back catalogue of titles and gives them some more visibility when every Xbox gamer is otherwise going to look at the value proposition of EA Access and just buy Game Pass instead.

 

(besides, EA Play has no value if you’re instead looking at the price from November onwards - it’s console plus two years of game pass, with the assumption that you can probably reduce the price of two years of game pass if you buy a deal).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something that occurred to me when I was watching the DF video: if you buy one of these boxes to dabble in the Xbox platform and just use Game Pass, there’s no sunk cost. If it doesn’t work out for you, you trade in the console and let your subscription lapse and that’s it. You don’t have that platform commitment from spending a bunch of money on digital titles that you can’t play elsewhere or trade in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Something that occurred to me when I was watching the DF video: if you buy one of these boxes to dabble in the Xbox platform and just use Game Pass, there’s no sunk cost. If it doesn’t work out for you, you trade in the console and let your subscription lapse and that’s it. You don’t have that platform commitment from spending a bunch of money on digital titles that you can’t play elsewhere or trade in.

This is pretty much precisely what I'm in for. That £250 + Gamepass sub is essentially me set unless the odd spectacular must buy comes along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, friedgold said:

This is pretty much precisely what I'm in for. That £250 + Gamepass sub is essentially me set unless the odd spectacular must buy comes along.

The more I think about it the more the Xbox All Access makes sense to me.

 

Bit like a mobile phone subscription for gaming. No brainer at £20.99 and I get PC GamePass thrown in with x-Stream etc. Going to wait for the hype to die down a bit though and pick one up next year at some point....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm quite surprised to see so much interest in the all access option. Yes, compared to RRP, it is slightly cheaper if you are starting from nothing, but there are much better deals regularly available for game pass ultimate, which makes the all access more expensive.

 

£126 a year for game pass ultimate is significantly more expensive than most of us pay. Just last week, a 3 month ultimate sub was available for £19. I don't think I've ever paid more than about £6.50 per month. All this is without taking in to account the current £1 conversion offer which can work out as little as £30 a year. Of course, things can always change but if people have the cash up front, get the £1 conversion deal now and then buy the series s on launch will be significantly cheaper than the all access contract.

 

Of course, if people don't have the cash then it is another story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I'm quite surprised to see so much interest in the all access option. Yes, compared to RRP, it is slightly cheaper if you are starting from nothing, but there are much better deals regularly available for game pass ultimate, which makes the all access more expensive.

 

£126 a year for game pass ultimate is significantly more expensive than most of us pay. Just last week, a 3 month ultimate sub was available for £19. I don't think I've ever paid more than about £6.50 per month. All this is without taking in to account the current £1 conversion offer which can work out as little as £30 a year. Of course, things can always change but if people have the cash up front, get the £1 conversion deal now and then buy the series s on launch will be significantly cheaper than the all access contract.

 

Of course, if people don't have the cash then it is another story.

 

Well yes. Have cash but it allows me to spread cost out a bit at no additional cost over RRP prices.

 

Sure you can get lots of deals etc for GPU if you shop around. But its not a huge saving. I've done the £1 conversion thing a long while ago when GPU was first announced and that expired around March this year - since then been using the PC Gamepass at £3.99 per month (insane value). Now that is ending on 17th Sept.

 

Also I don't think that £1 conversion thing will last forever either... and it's a one shot deal... :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the Digital Foundry video, Leadbetter mentions that he assumes the Series S will run Xbox One S versions, rather than One X versions of games, as it has less system RAM. And probably won't have Xbox One X enhancements for BC games - although he assumed this on the same basis, but I doubt Xbox 360 games on Xbox One S are using all the RAM available to them, as the 360 had a measley 512MB RAM.

 

I thought it was interesting. I don't know how much people care about Xbox One back compat - probably not £200, but despite a lot of games probably getting Series patches, it does make me feel marginally better about going for the Series X (when added to the fact you get a disc drive and more GPU).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

In the Digital Foundry video, Leadbetter mentions that he assumes the Series S will run Xbox One S versions, rather than One X versions of games, as it has less system RAM. And probably won't have Xbox One X enhancements for BC games - although he assumed this on the same basis, but I doubt Xbox 360 games on Xbox One S are using all the RAM available to them, as the 360 had a measley 512MB RAM.

 

I thought it was interesting. I don't know how much people care about Xbox One back compat - probably not £200, but despite a lot of games probably getting Series patches, it does make me feel marginally better about going for the Series X (when added to the fact you get a disc drive and more GPU).

 

Yeah, and as mentioned earlier they didn't sound entirely convinced about the "exact same games but at 1440p" claim. They mentioned 1080p a lot more and perhaps even dropping to 720 or 900 for more advanced games. For example, that Unreal 5 fake game demo - that was 1440/30 on a PS5. What resolution would it have to drop to on the Series S to keep a stable framerate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

 

Yeah, and as mentioned earlier they didn't sound entirely convinced about the "exact same games but at 1440p" claim. They mentioned 1080p a lot more and perhaps even dropping to 720 or 900 for more advanced games. For example, that Unreal 5 fake game demo - that was 1440/30 on a PS5. What resolution would it have to drop to on the Series S to keep a stable framerate?

 

Ah, I was listening to the video in the background this morning, so I think I missed that, but it's a really interesting point. As people have already pointed out, spending £200 to just get the same games rendered at 4K rather than 1440p just seems a bit silly.

 

Another thing I was thinking about, when they were talking about how next gen is going to lean more on CPU, is how, despite a lot of people complaining about next gen being held back by the PS4 and Xbox One S, maybe the fact that they have to run on those systems is the only thing allowing next gen games to run at 60 or 120fps. Maybe if they didn't have to cater to the toaster-tier CPUs in those systems, developers would just aim to max out the CPU at 30fps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, MattyP said:

 

Well yes. Have cash but it allows me to spread cost out a bit at no additional cost over RRP prices.

 

Sure you can get lots of deals etc for GPU if you shop around. But its not a huge saving. I've done the £1 conversion thing a long while ago when GPU was first announced and that expired around March this year - since then been using the PC Gamepass at £3.99 per month (insane value). Now that is ending on 17th Sept.

 

Also I don't think that £1 conversion thing will last forever either... and it's a one shot deal... :) 

 

The conversion isn't one shot. If you haven't got game pass active, you can buy gold up front and still convert, it just costs whatever normal gpu price is for the first month instead of £1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

 

The conversion isn't one shot. If you haven't got game pass active, you can buy gold up front and still convert, it just costs whatever normal gpu price is for the first month instead of £1.

OK... might have to give that a try! Thanks... although don't have an Xbox at the moment guess you can do all this from a web browser....

 

EDIT: Although I do have a gamepass sub currently active on the PC. Hmmm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.