IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

9 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

The S is less powered than the One X, what's the point?

It's not. It has a CPU and SSD drive that will run rings around the One X. On paper it can push fewer TF than the One X but it's based on RDNA 2 architecture so will still outperform it despite it being 4 TF Vs 6 TF on paper. And it has less RAM than the One X but at higher bandwidth. It will be a much more capable machine overall, and remember that the One X has been pushed to output at native 4K whereas Series S won't.

23 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

AFAIK the only announced version with a disk drive will be the XBox Series X. Likewise, I would prefer a console that takes disks, but a $200 cut is very tempting.

Yeah, I think i'll be better off getting one of those refurbished One X's at £180 if they come round again than this, for my needs.

£249 great price though, blimey. Was not expecting cheaper than Xbox 360 pricing.

3 minutes ago, tronied said:

Certainly an appealing price point for a "next-gen" console. I guess it all depends if they can offer the same graphical fidelity at 1080p than the XSS does at 4k. I guess this is why they've been putting so much effort into the AI upscaling.

At the very least it probably means a more consistent 60fps from games without the worry for 4K on the console.

Just now, Down by Law said:

Yeah, I think i'll be better off getting one of those refurbished One X's at £180 if they come round again than this, for my needs.

£249 great price though, blimey. Was not expecting cheaper than Xbox 360 pricing.

You'd be *much* better off getting this - it'll run things for the next few years, not months - and just buying digital copies of your existing games for pennies.

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

So the S is £249, which translates from $299.

Happy to see that exchange rates are still a thing! Will the X be £449, then? That would be acceptable!

Just came to post that. I would have been okay at £499, but £449 is fantastic if it turns out that way.I wasn't expecting anything other than a straight $/£ swap.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

remember that the One X has been pushed to output at native 4K whereas Series S won't.

So if the Series S has only a quarter of the One X's resolution (1080p vs 2160p), how do they expect to get the average gamer to buy one? For most it's "4K30 > 1K60, because resolution".

Just now, Meers said:

So if the Series S has only a quarter of the One X's resolution (1080p vs 2160p), how do they expect to get the average gamer to buy one? For most it's "4K30 > 1K60, because resolution".

Does the ‘average’ gamer care about resolution that much? 

I'm was 100% getting an X and PS5 at launch but now I might get S. 

Then again I would be playing all third party on X and they have a few exclusives coming and current games I want to play in the best possible way.

I'm torn. 

£249 is incredibly aggressive pricing. Feels a bit like Microsoft are pulling a Nintendo here, accepting they'll probably never beat Sony in a straight head to head fight and are instead trying to position themselves as the complimentary GamePass focussed second console/family option, with the Series X as the niche high-end luxury option.

I have a 4k telly, but it’s only 43”. Now find myself wondering if it’s really worth paying the extra for the X.

PS5 and one of these seems like the sensible option. But I get FOMO if I don’t buy the ‘best’ version of a product.

7 minutes ago, Meers said:

The average gamer probably still has a 1080p TV. This isn't about getting early adopters to buy into the next gen, it's about getting the millions of people who aren't thinking about the next gen at all- including a lot of kids who have an original-recipe Xbox One hooked up in their bedroom or whatever- to stay with Xbox. And it'll work.

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Where they’re positioning themselves in the market is everywhere. Games Pass is great value but more importantly it (and the Xbox store) are available on tonnes of systems. They’ve got PC games, they’ve got streaming games, they’ve got a mobile app and an official Xbox phone grip controller, they’ve got a next gen console that anyone can afford and the most powerful console ever made.

I don't think MS care which console you buy as long as you buy game pass

10 minutes ago, footle said:

You'd be *much* better off getting this - it'll run things for the next few years, not months - and just buying digital copies of your existing games for pennies.

I dunno man I have about 140 OG/360 discs. Even at a quid each that'd be some serious outlay. Tbh for £180 for a 4k uhd player and a back compat box it'd be a great spare room purchase.

Great strategy by Microsoft though. This could be a massive hit if it's targeted as a streaming box (because let's face it - you buy 5 digital games at £50 a pop and you've already paid more for your games than the console itself) but selling it as a disc less, game pass focused device could really tap into the mainstream market quite easily, especially at that price.

This is the Microsoft I've missed. One that is competent enough to light a fire under Sony's arse to keep them from getting complacent.

Just now, Dudley said:

Let's just hope it doesn't end up restricting Series X games too badly or MS let games require an X.

I dont think it will due to more or less having the same insides, X users will just get RTX and shinies turned up to the right. 

Stunning price, i think it will sell really well. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

The first PS4 advertising didn’t appear until about a month before it launched. Their marketing schedule is fine. The internet hype schedule isn’t, because everyone’s trapped inside constantly refreshing the internet because of COVID but there’s nothing abnormal going on here.

That Series S price has some good and not so good company:

3CE591B7-46BD-42DB-8874-93CE45BF56C5.jpeg.5aca30420671c728582319774d49ab86.jpeg

PS was the biggest gaming brand in the world and even with their delayed marketing plans and weak launch period they had no issues. GamePass or the S are nowhere near this mainstream level of branding. If the S is indeed a GP Machine for Microsoft, they need to be much more aggressive in order to build it imo. The price will not mean much by itself.

But I was already against this separation for Microsoft, I would like them to have one console or be clear and simple enough like the PS5.