Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

36 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's great news at least. I was already planning on using the XsX as my default multiplatform console due to the extra power/performance, controller, and the assumption that it would be again silent. So it's very good seeing that last point confirmed! 

Hope the PS5 follows suit but the PS4 and Pro don't exactly inspire confidence.

I've got one of those new Last of Us 2 Pro's and it's almost silent. I don't know what they've done with the insides of that thing but they should be shouting it from the rooftops. Even playing GoT yesterday in the extreme heat the fan still didn't whir up. It's a good sign for the PS5 

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Obviously, but wasn't there talk of further enhancing select BC games which also encompasses pushing the framerate even further? Sounds like impossible dark magic but at this point I wouldn't put anything past the miraculous BC team.

Yeah, like how some 360 games on Xbox One got big upgrades. It’s probably just a variation on Smart Delivery that doesn’t require the publisher to sell a specific Series X version. Not sure we’ll see it for EDF though.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Some of the replies in that twitter thread are along the lines of "Thank you for delaying Halo so I can spend more time with Cyberpunk." :lol:

Even before this crushing delay I already knew that I was going to buy the XsX and PS5 both on day one and subsequently play nothing but Cyberpunk for months. And that's okay, no need to be upset.

4 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I've got one of those new Last of Us 2 Pro's and it's almost silent. I don't know what they've done with the insides of that thing but they should be shouting it from the rooftops. Even playing GoT yesterday in the extreme heat the fan still didn't whir up. It's a good sign for the PS5 

That's great news! Playing Ghost of Tsushima on my launch model PS4 the past few weeks made it sound like Heathrow airport was inside my mancave. Even though I was planning on playing TLOU2 next, I went back to Control on the X instead to get away from that noise a bit.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Yeah, like how some 360 games on Xbox One got big upgrades. It’s probably just a variation on Smart Delivery that doesn’t require the publisher to sell a specific Series X version. Not sure we’ll see it for EDF though.

If they're smart we'll see EDF get enhanced. It's the most important

10 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

The insides and the cooling system are basically the same across all the PS4s, the newer versions just have updated chips that produce less heat.

Sony’s engineers (from whatI’ve read) are internally quite proud of the PS4’s cooler design, they seem to have had a team specifically responsible for that back to the PS2. Even the first generation PS4 was ostensibly quieter than the late-generation PS3s. However it seems that the testing assumed an amount of heat that was quite a bit lower than later PS4 software wound up creating. Hence all the emphasis on managing it in hardware for PS5.

Edit - This is the Xbox thread so I guess I should add that Microsoft seems to have taken the approach of putting in as much cooling as possible and making it quieter through clever engineering, rather than Sony’s approach of figuring out how much cooling is needed and only using that much. I think MS’s way has always been the more sensible, if more expensive, for the hardware people actually had. Now Sony have a chip that fits their approach to product design it’ll be interesting to see what happens. Everyone’s worried about the PS5 needing an expensive cooler but I think all this has been about finding a way to use as small and cheap a cooler and PSU as possible.

8 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Same for me too.

Strangely though, Modern Warfare 2 Remastered did make it go a little nuts.

Maybe not optimised as well as the first party stuff?

I haven't played enough to test but I did play the Pit level of MW2 ( AIM DOWN THE SIGHTS! STOP FIRING FROM THE HIP! GO BACK YOU DIDN'T SHOOT THE CHILD! :lol: ) and no extra noise.

Looking into it the plug's different from the original pro

unnamed-file.jpg.jpeg

(new version on the bottom)

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Obviously, but wasn't there also talk amongst the HDR chatter of further enhancing select BC games which also encompasses pushing the framerate past hardcoded limits? Sounds like impossible dark magic but at this point I wouldn't put anything past the miraculous BC team.

Wasn't it some sort of frame interpolation?

8 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I haven't played enough to test but I did play the Pit level of MW2 ( AIM DOWN THE SIGHTS! STOP FIRING FROM THE HIP! GO BACK YOU DIDN'T SHOOT THE CHILD! :lol: ) and no extra noise.

It was during the second mission that I noticed it. Still magnitudes quieter than my old Pro though. Also, my lounge was about 37 degrees!!

I was secretly hoping that the green bit on the top of the Series X could be used as a scented oil heater so you could have smells linked to the game you're playing.

Imagine the scent of gunpowder and smoke during an FPS or sweat and grass during FIFA?!!

With the new controller having a "share" button has it been confirmed that this will work on the One X? Would make screenshot taking a bit easier.

8 hours ago, teddymeow said:

With the new controller having a "share" button has it been confirmed that this will work on the One X? Would make screenshot taking a bit easier.

Apparently the leaked series s controllers do work and the share buttons functions for screenshots/videos. 

21 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Pre orders must be soon surely - perhaps around Gamescom?

I have a feeling they'll push it back as far as possible to try and wait Sony out on pricing and to distance that announcement from the stink from the Halo delay - and to maybe get something in place to fill that gap.

This is a downside to E3 getting cancelled that I didn't see coming. Instead of one block of all the info you need to get excited about the new consoles, it's now more spread out than a 100-page novel adapted into three blockbuster movies. It really kills the hype when you're mostly focused on one of those two releasing a morsel of information in regards to date and price and other really basic stuff.

Edit: and no next-gen games coming close to impressing as much ad current gen Cyberpunk doesn't help either

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Edit: and no next-gen games coming close to impressing as much ad current gen Cyberpunk doesn't help either

Cyberpunk isn't really current gen given the only hardware they've demonstrated it on cost more than both new consoles combined.

53 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I have a feeling they'll push it back as far as possible to try and wait Sony out on pricing and to distance that announcement from the stink from the Halo delay - and to maybe get something in place to fill that gap.

The whole Halo debacle must’ve knocked fifty quid off the final price surely.

The "who will jump first" on price and actual release date is getting a bit stupid from both companies now, the longer this goes on the more I lose interest.

I'm also beginning to think these machines are going to be significantly more expensive than we are all hoping, why else hold back on revealing price.

I really don’t think they are actually playing chicken, fun as that is to think. The pricing options will have been planned out in great detail over the past year as the consoles were finalised and went in to production, and they’ll be fine tuning based on the effects of COVID. I can’t see them making a desperate last minute adjustment because the other guy is $50 more or less than they expected.

12 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

The "who will jump first" on price and actual release date is getting a bit stupid from both companies now, the longer this goes on the more I lose interest.

I'm also beginning to think these machines are going to be significantly more expensive than we are all hoping, why else hold back on revealing price.

But then that makes it even worse too, out next month, £600 - say what!