Xbox Series X | S

I saw games I liked the look of in both but I think with GamePass I'll be getting a Series X first and a PS5 later on down the line, just like the last 2 generations in fact. 

I really enjoyed that. After a lot of massively disappointing “E3” events throughout lockdown, this is the only one that actually felt like E3. 

Halo Infinite looked great. They showed great variety, lots of games which didn’t look amazing but I’d like to try - and can try without paying out, thanks to Game Pass. 

They showed a lot of games which aren’t really exclusive but it made the presentation stronger. STALKER 2 is huge to me, so is Psychonauts 2. 

I’m wary of anything approved by Games Workshop but can’t help but hope for a good 40K game. 

That Crossfire X game looks like it could be brilliant if Remedy do their thing. 

I’m hyped for next gen, happy that there seem to be first party games which are not coming to Xbox One, so get to go hog wild with the new hardware, but I still think they’re not doing a great job of showing us exactly why we should care about next gen and there still wasn’t as much gameplay as I’d like. 

Random thoughts:

Forza Motorsport - is this going to be a “platform” rather than a straight sequel? They also showed next to nothing of it, so it makes me think it’s way further off than we think. 

Is it just me or are Bungie looking increasingly like Ol’ Gil, desperately trying to scrape the bottom of the Destiny 2 barrel while they work on whatever it is that’s going to get them out of the predicament they find themselves in. 

It was similar to PS5 games reveal - Not much is at launch. Those that are at launch look fine decent games but it is likely Launch and pandemic are a bad mix and some of those other games would've had the 2020 stamp if not for our virus friend.

For me Halo Infinite is a bigger deal than ratchet and a Spiderman expansion. Ratchet? that old shite?

Just now, Calashnikov said:

At least Ratchet showed us something that wasn’t possible on current gen,

What just like 'The Medium' which renders 2 worlds simultaneously.

Just now, yakumo said:

Forgot this was even happening, just got back but what's the general census? 

Halo looked Haloey

A shit ton of games at a launch everything they showed (22 games+) is on game pass.

New Platformer from Yuji Naka was one of the highlights.

Beyond that, lots of CG trailers and thing that was actually labled as gameplay looked like well. A game.

1 minute ago, Calashnikov said:

Strongly disagree it was anywhere near as good as the PS5 thing, which was by no means great either. At least Ratchet showed us something that wasn’t possible on current gen, while RE8 and Demons Souls were way more hype than anything here. Obviously IMO.

I though they were much of a muchness . Some interesting stuff , some guff , and some big hitters ages away . 

Can’t  shake the feeling this is happening a year too early and they are both struggling a bit to justify their existence  . Especially given Covid . I’d sooner wait a year and have a stellar launch line up for both systems .  

But then it might be purposely drip feeding to build momentum. 

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

What just like 'The Medium' which renders 2 worlds simultaneously.

Titanfall 2 did this. The Medium isn't really a visual spectacle either. Love the art direction though. At least it has that!

Overall this presentation was a disappointment for me, personally. I can see that there was a bunch in there that would float others boats, but to me it all felt very unoriginal and uninspiring. I certainly didn’t see anything that looked that amazing from a technical standpoint either.

The most interesting games I saw were all the ones in the ID@Xbox trailer in the pre-show.

As for Halo Infinite, looked very current gen and pedestrian to me. Shame after having waited all this time to not be a little more wowed.

16 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Not one game on the PS5 or XBX looks as good as Last of Us 2 looks right now. It's weird.

Nothing shown for PS5 or X Series has had several years of work put into, on top of many years of combined knowledge of getting the most out of the hardware. It's really unfair to compare an end of life cycle game to something at the start of a new one.

If something which is obviously years out, like Fable, still doesn't top TLOU2 then there's a fair concern. :p

1 minute ago, SuperCapes said:

Titanfall 2 did this. The Medium isn't really a visual spectacle either. Love the art direction though. At least it has that!

No it didn't you were only in 1 world at a time, just like Metroid prime 2

I didn't watch the Games Awards pre-show thing.

The only thing from that event that I've watched was the introduction and trailer that Naka and Oshima presented for their platformer Balan Wonderworld. 

Were there any other trailers from the pre-show that were worth watching?

10 minutes ago, EvilBoris said:

No it didn't you were only in 1 world at a time, just like Metroid prime 2

Edit 2: I am a plonker. 

Edit: for context I am talking about the time travel mechanic level, where you can jump between present and past. 

That doesn't matter,  I am not even sure if The Medium is open world, but regardless  the way games stream data in its essentially an identical example. The Player will likely be in one world and at a button press the other world (likely rendered below) will switch out. Open world or not, the game technically is doing nothing next gen from the trailers. 

I am still excited as a survival horror fan though. 

Just now, SuperCapes said:

That doesn't matter,  I am not even sure if The Medium is open world, but regardless  the way games stream data in its essentially an identical example. The Player will likely be in one world and at a button press the other world (likely rendered below) will switch out. Open world or not, the game technically is doing nothing next gen from the trailers. 

I think they way it works is that you play in and see both worlds simultaneously in split screen.

Just now, SuperCapes said:

No, you are literally playing the game in split screen in 2 places at the same time, it was shown in the trailer. I don't think you actually switch, your character exists in 2 places at once.

Halo - Doesn't look very next gen but looked fun. Apart from whatever the rambling Thanos guy was going on about.

State of Decay - Interested if not a mess. No gameplay shown.

Forza - Don't care

Everwild - Looks very nice but err,  what is it exactly? 

Tell Me Why - Could be a mildly interesting TV show on The CW but not a game. 

Ori Again but slightly nicer graphics - meh

Honey I Shrunk the Kids: The Game - Oddly thought this looked ok

Avowed - Looks nice, nothing really shown. 

As Dusk Falls - What is this? Another TV show. 

Psychonacious D  - Alright. 

Stalker 2 - Sweet 

Warhammer Game - Could be good 

Tetris - No

The Gunk - Good name, bad game. 

Medium - Interesting concept

PSO - Not for me

Crossfire X - Looked pretty decent. 

Fable - yay I guess at confirmation but nothing shown so shit. 

1 minute ago, Azrael said:

Halo Infinite

State of Decay 3

Forza Motorsport

Everwild 

Tell Me Why 

Grounded

Avowed - Looks nice

As Dusk Falls 

Psychonacious D  -  

Stalker 2 -

Warhammer Game - 

Tetris -

The Gunk - 

Medium -

PSO - 

Crossfire X - 

Fable - 

Pretty crazy you get access to all of those with game pass.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

I think they way it works is that you play in and see both worlds simultaneously in split screen.

1 minute ago, EvilBoris said:

No, you are literally playing the game in split screen in 2 places at the same time, it was shown in the trailer. I don't think you actually switch, your character exists in 2 places at once.

Ah I see! Very interesting concept. Not sure I dig, but will see upon release. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic