Xbox Series X | S

Just now, df0 said:

I hope they open with a slightly different Grand Theft Auto 5 trailer.

I hope they open with a GTA6 trailer and that’s what’s what.

1 minute ago, df0 said:

I hope they open with a slightly different Grand Theft Auto 5 trailer.

GTA IV remaster instead :lol:

18 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I like that fact. The amount of RPGs I've played over the years that I couldn't get into since they had so many mechanics, systems & subsystems. Fable kept it simple and let you get lost in the story / world / brummy accents. Kept it accessible for filthy casuals like me who rarely play RPGs. 

The idea that RPGs are either shallow as a puddle (like Fable) or incomprehensible is a false dichotomy. Plenty of the best mainstream RPGs - Mass Effect 2, Witcher 3 can be played with absolutely no effort or thought put into the RPG mechanics but offer far more depth than Fable if you can be bothered. 

The whole “don’t turn it into the Witcher 3” thing is particularly odd because that series has been repeatedly dumbed down since the first game and now you can basically button mash your way through the combat and the only thing you really have to know is to hit humans with one sword and hit monsters with the other. All the potion making and what not is entirely optional. 

27 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

Here’s hoping MS counters Sony’s GTAV opening with a ‘Minecraft is coming to Series X’ megaton to get the next gen in full swing.

:D

(also, included on Games Pass)

45 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

If it's a question of false perception, I'll happily be wrong but I understood that Bleeding Edge, Halo 5, Gears 5, State of Decay were substantially online. Even Forza Horizon 4 (which I love) has a fair amount of content behind online stuff.

I'm rephrase and just say I'm looking forward to some top quality single player adventures. 

I get ya.

I'd be happy for some more linear stuff, Gears 5 was one of the best campaigns I have played in ages when that came out last year.

Ori is really fantastic too.

There are some hidden gems from 3rd part like Plague Tale, if you need that itch scratching too.

I'm in 2 minds about it, I like good games, but there is a weird thing happening where the gaming equivalent of "Oscar Bait" is a linear game made of lots of cutscenes and character dialog.

Games are increasingly homogenised and I'd be wary of another Major Publisher taking the exact same route as Sony.

5 minutes ago, EvilBoris said:

I'm in 2 minds about it, I like good games, but there is a weird thing happening where the gaming equivalent of "Oscar Bait" is a linear game made of lots of cutscenes and character dialog.

Games are increasingly homogenised and I'd be wary of another Major Publisher taking the exact same route as Sony.

I totally understand this. I have been really enjoying both Oris, great little games and they look stunning. More like that and Cuphead would be brilliant, defo.

To be fair to MS they have been good at showcasing Indie games at their previous E3 blowouts, perhaps more than Sony have.

As much as we all want to see big AAA games with all the 4K Ray tracing bells and whistles I would expect to see some decent indie games premiered later as well.

5 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

To be fair to MS they have been good at showcasing Indie games at their previous E3 blowouts, perhaps more than Sony have.

As much as we all want to see big AAA games with all the 4K Ray tracing bells and whistles I would expect to see some decent indie games premiered later as well.

Absolutely. I’d love to see Playdead’s new game shown.

I look forward to seeing more about Hellblade 2. Not even joking. The flawed original had neat ideas; the whole mental health thing, descend into madness, voices causing doubt in your path forward.

41 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The idea that RPGs are either shallow as a puddle (like Fable) or incomprehensible is a false dichotomy. Plenty of the best mainstream RPGs - Mass Effect 2, Witcher 3 can be played with absolutely no effort or thought put into the RPG mechanics but offer far more depth than Fable if you can be bothered. 

The whole “don’t turn it into the Witcher 3” thing is particularly odd because that series has been repeatedly dumbed down since the first game and now you can basically button mash your way through the combat and the only thing you really have to know is to hit humans with one sword and hit monsters with the other. All the potion making and what not is entirely optional. 

I brought up the whole don't turn it into the Witcher point originally and I just want to clear a few things up. In the podcast where I heard them discussing a possible Witcherfication of Fable, which I think I linked to at the time, I felt that they were ignoring the big selling point in the run up to the original games release. The whole notion of your actions having consequences and that the world would reflect that, which was something Lionhead promised in both Fable and Black & White, was something new and interesting at the time. I've always felt that the original Fable games never delivered on that idea. The promise was that your version of Albion would be vastly different depending on your playstyle and that just wasn't the case. Any evil actions could easily be cancelled out by going out to the woods and killing balverines for twenty minutes. Following the approach of the Witcher and creating something where each aspect of the world is meticulously handcrafted doesn't gel with the original promise which sounded very system driven. 

I don't want a simple version of Fable. I want a version of Fable where playing with the various systems actually matters. 

And retain the ability to flip someone off while shooting lightening at them. That is very important. 

1 hour ago, SuperCapes said:

New Condemned game please or remake. 

Man, a Condemned remake would be incredible. That game was scarier than a drunken Geordie in Greggs. 

I never finished Condemned. It was an amazing (at the time) showcase for the new console, but lordy I hate that sort of suspense. 

But that with ray tracing would be bonkers. 

2 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I never finished Condemned. It was an amazing (at the time) showcase for the new console, but lordy I hate that sort of suspense. 

But that with ray tracing would be bonkers. 

Oh for sure. I can only imagine what sort of reflection scares that game could implement. Bonkers indeed!!!

I'd like to see a mix. I'm really excited to see what they can do with the big titles like Halo (well as long as they do something with it rather than just the same again) and I'm a sucker for a good driving game (Forza), but I'd also like to see a good mix of other interesting things across the different styles/genres/budgets. Oh, and sprinkle on a couple of well judged nostalgia pieces too like a Condemned or a totally reimagined Perfect Dark. Finally if they are doing any third party/cross-platform reveals I'd like a new Splinter Cell please.

Basically I want all of the things.

Annoyingly my wife has had to work away last minute today so I'm now on pick-up duty for my son, followed by tea and bath/bed so I'm going to catching up on the whole thing later on I expect. Can we agree no spoilers on here ;) 

28 minutes ago, bear said:

So, what are the odds they'll just go and release Battletoads today? 

I gather the first 3 minutes is Halo and the rest is 18 different battletoads games, each made by a different one of Microsoft's new studios.

"Next up, Battletoads Kart!"

2 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Here’s hoping MS counters Sony’s GTAV opening with a ‘Minecraft is coming to Series X’ megaton to get the next gen in full swing.

From my opening post in the 2020 predictions thread:

On 31/12/2019 at 09:48, Qazimod said:

The new Xbox gets an exclusive updated edition of Minecraft

:D 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic