Xbox Series X | S

18 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

As much as people dicked on Bugsnax (not me!) and some of the other bits and bobs in Sony's show it had variety. Microsoft need a show that isn't Forza Horizon + some brown games. They have the properties available even before they create new IP (specifically at least some of Rare's passed stuff in Banjo and Viva Piñata and now Sea of Thieves).

I have precisely zero interest in anything but Forza out of MS's recent line up (oh and Flight Simulator). I also have little interest in Sony's AAA line up either but I can appreciate that it hits a wider range of notes and has done for pretty much all of this generation.

If I was honest MS' problem is sometimes not their actual output but the perception of it. They've had some other games State of Decay and Sea of Thieves but they have this terrible habit of having every one of their major shows dominated by Forza, Gears or Halo.

You've just self fulfilled your own prophecy of not recognising the variety is there.

This gen alone there's been first party RTS, RPG's, VS fighters, Arena Brawlers, Pirate sims, Open world Zombie games, Strategy games etc from the Xbox side. Many of those genres untouched by the other platform holders so the idea there is no variety is massively inaccurate.

Is Perfect Dark rumoured? I don't have any history with the series but a spy-themed stealth/action game in a near-future high-tech city with lots of grappling between and crawling on the outside of skyscrapers would be awesome. Elements of Mirror's Edge, Crackdown, Splinter Cell and Arkham City. There remains a huge gap in the market for a modern spy game.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

Is Perfect Dark rumoured? I don't have any history with the series but a spy-themed stealth/action game in a near-future high-tech city with lots of grappling between and crawling on the outside of skyscrapers would be awesome. Elements of Mirror's Edge, Crackdown, Splinter Cell and Arkham City. There remains a huge gap in the market for a modern spy game.

It's rumored that The Initiative is working on it (but people are saying conflicted things about whether they'll be there today or not). Some people think they are not working on Perfect Dark though but on the spy game that was in development at Black Tusk (now The Coalition).

Perfect Dark would be the worst announcement they could make, they're already associated with two past-their-prime scifi shooter franchises, why would they triple down rather than do something in a different setting, a different genre?

This demand for remakes and nostalgia is the worst. New things, ta.

32 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I think the stick that's most often used to beat them with is that they just put out the same games over and over. 

I'm hopeful that they will have some new AAA games that aren't from their established stable, those are the ones that will generate most interest (though the buzz about Halo is tangible from where I'm sat). Everyone knows they're getting a Halo, Forza and Gears already.

Yeah, so we're hopeful they show off some of the big franchises (like Halo), and some new IP - something nobody has seen before. A mixture of stuff.

They have been pretty confident with each step in this build-up, they are saying this will be games, games, games...I'd be amazed if they fumble this...I think it's going to be epic, and I can't wait.

9 minutes ago, Revival said:

You've just self fulfilled your own prophecy of not recognising the variety is there.

This gen alone there's been first party RTS, RPG's, VS fighters, Arena Brawlers, Pirate sims, Open world Zombie games, Strategy games etc from the Xbox side. Many of those genres untouched by the other platform holders so the idea there is no variety is massively inaccurate.

I'd accept that. And as a broadly casual observer these days I see some of it but I still completely associate them with 3 franchises.

Anyway, I hope to be proved wrong this afternoon but I fully expect all the fanfare on stage to be around stuff we associate with them and almost montages of 'the rest'.

There's been rumours of a third person reboot of Perfect Dark for a couple of years now. As much as I loved the original, Zero killed any interest I had in the series but I guess it's not irredeemable as a franchise if they try something new with it. 

I hope we finally see the worst kept secret in the industry today.

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

That’s the kind of move I think they should be aiming for to get people really excited. If this showcase just ends up being more Forza/Halo/Gears with a couple of new IP’s thrown in then they’re gonna get called out quickly.

Yeah, all the great new first party IP Sony showed off is going to be hard to beat. Like, erm, *checks notes* a Demon's Souls remake, more Gran Turismo, more Ratchet and Clank, more Spiderman and more Horizon.

Yet somehow Microsoft 'only' showing off a couple of new first party IPs would be incredibly disappointing?

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Perfect Dark would be the worst announcement they could make, they're already associated with two past-their-prime scifi shooter franchises, why would they triple down rather than do something in a different setting, a different genre?

This demand for remakes and nostalgia is the worst. New things, ta.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but I was thinking they could use a known IP to do something new, Nintendo-style, or maybe like Sony did with God of War. I have no affinity with the earlier games or desire to see the N64 game remade but there is a load of potential for a properly James Bondy spy adventure with lots of gadgets and espionage. Most spy-themed games tended to be simple shooters.

I have no affinity with or desire to see the N64 game remade but there is a load of potential for a properly James Bondy spy adventure with lots of gadgets and espionage. Most spy-themed games tended to be simple shooters.

Sure, but it'd be better as a new IP in a setting that isn't already really, really over-represented in their first party lineup, like they have no games set in the modern day, or a historical period.

It's not the 90s, not everything needs to be scifi or fantasy.

14 minutes ago, Revival said:

I do wonder why they don't market these things more, it feels like some of these disappear without trace. 

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

more Spiderman and more Horizon.

Yet somehow Microsoft 'only' showing off a couple of new first party IPs would be incredibly disappointing?

Gears 6, Forza 8,  Forza Horizon 5, Halo 8 (only counting FPS), Fable 4. 

It kinda feels slightly different, even if there have been a tonne of Ratchet and Clank games. 

11 minutes ago, Majora said:

Yeah, all the great new first party IP Sony showed off is going to be hard to beat. Like, erm, *checks notes* a Demon's Souls remake, more Gran Turismo, more Ratchet and Clank, more Spiderman and more Horizon.

I wasn’t aware that I’d said that Sony had succeeded on this front themselves? I thought their showing was fine but nothing all that exciting.

My main point here is that MS have been the underdogs for a while and they could do with a couple of ‘megatons’ to make everyone sit up and notice.

For what it’s worth, I think they’re knocking it out of the park with their hardware and service offerings this time around.

I wonder what the likelihood of them bringing Scalebound back is? It was obviously built to a degree before MS and Platinum fell out.

An open world RPG with a Dragon companion to traverse with would be cool.

I just want to be surprised with unknown entities. With the exception of Halo, which I will always have emotional good time feels for , everything else that people are asking for is either going to be derivative of something else, or everything else is a derivative of what it was a decade ago.

I genuinely loved both Perfect Dark games, but I don’t see how in 2020 they could make a game that was aesthetically different all the Cyberpunk / blade runner style games that are already on the horizon or that we have had in recent memory.

That’s before you even consider that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were spy/stealth games at heart and the audience does not accept stealth games on the whole, which I’m sure is about 90% of the reason we haven’t seen another Splinter Cell game and the reason things like Dishonoured struggle to perform at retail.

I also think that the PD rumour is entirely the product of fanboy wet dreams. So I suppose I don’t even need to be concerned.

As for Fable, I’m a little curious as how that may manifest itself as the originals did have a huge amount of neat gamey touches (being a landlord, having multiple families etc) that do separate it from being just a “comedy” version of the Witcher. 
I do keep chucking when I read people asking for a more gritty Fable game.

What people are asking for is a game of thrones game called fable.

I would personally like to see some big single player games. There is plenty of variety in the Xbox catalogue but I don't have any interest in almost any of it because it's either online only or predominantly online. I'm sure this is not a novel point, just saying I would be all over some epic single player adventure this afternoon. That would get me much more excited than anything else. 

8 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I wonder what the likelihood of them bringing Scalebound back is? It was obviously built to a degree before MS and Platinum fell out.

An open world RPG with a Dragon companion to traverse with would be cool.

It always looked a bit meh , every time they showed it. A 4 player co-op devil may cry game with dragon flying in an open world.

It’s like the concept was generated by pulling things from a hat

Just now, Stanshall said:

I would personally like to see some big single player games. There is plenty of variety in the Xbox catalogue but I don't have any interest in almost any of it because it's either online only or predominantly online. I'm sure this is not a novel point, just saying I would be all over some epic single player adventure this afternoon. That would get me much more excited than anything else. 

Literally the only game that is predominately online/online only is Sea of Thieves in the current portfolio.

3 minutes ago, EvilBoris said:

Literally the only game that is predominately online/online only is Sea of Thieves in the current portfolio.

If it's a question of false perception, I'll happily be wrong but I understood that Bleeding Edge, Halo 5, Gears 5, State of Decay were substantially online. Even Forza Horizon 4 (which I love) has a fair amount of content behind online stuff.

I'm rephrase and just say I'm looking forward to some top quality single player adventures. 

7 minutes ago, EvilBoris said:

Bleeding Edge says “remember me?”

everyone goes Nope.

theres also a lot of people who don’t remember Ori, apparently. Or that the last Forza game came out two years ago.

Just now, Stanshall said:

If it's a question of false perception, I'll happily be wrong but I understood that Bleeding Edge, Halo 5, Gears 5, State of Decay were substantially online. Even Forza Horizon 4 (which I love) has a fair amount of content behind online stuff.

I'm rephrase and just say I'm looking forward to some top quality single player adventures. 

not really. Two of those I haven’t touched the online for at all.

It would be an interesting question to ask where is Sony’s decent online mode. I suppose the last one was Driveclub... ;-)

1 minute ago, footle said:

not really. Two of those I haven’t touched the online for at all.

It would be an interesting question to ask where is Sony’s decent online mode. I suppose the last one was Driveclub... ;-)

OK, cool. It's a false perception on my part then. I bounced off them all quite quickly because I don't really play those genres much and don't have any history/affection to press on. 

Great question about Sony and online. I do think GT Sport is pretty damn good but it also feels fairly exclusive and intimidating (not on here, seem like a great bunch). Beyond that, absolutely fuck all. DriveClub, yeah, and that was botched for a long time. 

Just now, Calashnikov said:

Is it possible we might see more of RE VIIIage at this??

Could be, but if Capcom wants to show something, they'll probably show something new. So I wouldn't count on it.

11 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I'm hoping for something from Studio MHR.

I hope they don't bump too much to the pre-show. One hour packed with lots of new stuff would be amazing. A pre-hour people don't watch with new stuff and a main show that repeats their tired big hitters isn't the message I want to see.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I enjoyed Fable 1&2, but the world is incredibly generic and there’s very little depth to the RPG mechanics. If they really must use the franchise, I really hope they change it completely. 

I like that fact. The amount of RPGs I've played over the years that I couldn't get into since they had so many mechanics, systems & subsystems. Fable kept it simple and let you get lost in the story / world / brummy accents. Kept it accessible for filthy casuals like me who rarely play RPGs. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic