Xbox Series X | S

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I enjoyed Fable 1&2, but the world is incredibly generic and there’s very little depth to the RPG mechanics. If they really must use the franchise, I really hope they change it completely. 

Given it's an entirely different developer and a decade later it feels likely they'll pull nothing but the most high level stuff from the old one and Playground certainly know how to build a world.

5 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I don't think that's Phil Spencer's management style, for that kind of money they could probably establish a whole studio and develop new ip, which seems to be the plan.

I wonder what would happen if Sony bought up WB to get to Batman? Playstation - the home of superheroes, could be a killer blow. I wonder if those concerns factor in when making decisions. 

That’s the kind of move I think they should be aiming for to get people really excited. If this showcase just ends up being more Forza/Halo/Gears with a couple of new IP’s thrown in then they’re gonna get called out quickly.

Batman becoming an Xbox exclusive character would be a massive win for them.

6 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

That’s the kind of move I think they should be aiming for to get people really excited. If this showcase just ends up being more Forza/Halo/Gears with a couple of new IP’s thrown in then they’re gonna get called out quickly.

Batman becoming an Xbox exclusive character would be a massive win for them.

That's a good point, hype and excitement is important. 

I'm confused with the Spiderman thing, Sony don't own the character but have paid Disney/Marvel for a licence to use that character in a videogame. Presumably other platform holders could release their own Spiderman games (or games featuring Spiderman in them) with no issue?

It would surely be the same for Batman, unless MS bought WB/DC completely.

1 minute ago, Jg15 said:

I'm confused with the Spiderman thing, Sony don't own the character but have paid Disney/Marvel for a licence to use that character in a videogame. Presumably other platform holders could release their own Spiderman games (or games featuring Spiderman in them) with no issue?

It would surely be the same for Batman, unless MS bought WB/DC completely.

I assumed the Spidey exclusivity came as part of Sony Pictures' Spidey deal. I think Marvel actually license the character from Sony to use in the MCU movies.

The PS4 game is explicitly called “Marvel’s Spider-Man” rather than Spider-Man, which I think implies some sort of licensing bollocks outside of the Sony movie/MCU deal.

I’m sure Marvel could licence out the character to other publishers in principle but they’re hardly going to do that after licensing it out to Sony’s in-house games dev operation are they?

8 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I assumed the Spidey exclusivity came as part of Sony Pictures' Spidey deal. I think Marvel actually license the character from Sony to use in the MCU movies.

Yes,  it's why spiderman constantly gets rebooted - there's something about the contract that says the license reverts back to marvel if it's inactive for a certain amount of time, each film resets the timer. 

As I understand it Sony Pictures owns the rights to Spider-man and the extended characters (e.g. Venom, etc...) for films. That was a purchase in perpetuity and the reason that Disney have to license Spider-man back from them for use in the MCU films. Basically Sony own Spider-man films.

However all other format licenses are owned by Marvel/Disney (including the games) but due to the close connection with Sony on Spider-man (and to facilitate having him in the recent films) Disney arranged a deal for Marvel's Spider-man to be a Playstation exclusive (probably for a period of time). I don't think Sony have ever owned the Spider-man character or games license outright.

The WB deal on the face of it sounds good (Batman, Harry Potter, Lego, etc...) but I've yet to see anything that explains crystal clear what is owned and what is leased to have an informed opinion.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

I thought Sony actually part-owned the actual character or something.

They have some very broad exclusive rights to the character in motion pictures, but Marvel control the character in every other medium they can. I believe the games are licenced adaptations of  the comic characters explicitly, hence the “Marvel’s” name.

Any ownership Sony have of Spider-Man is licensing based, not a core ownership. He's Marvel property, it's just the IP was signed out arguably before Marvel understood its value.

There’s a reason that anything related to the Spider-Man game says “(C) MARVEL” in huge letters.

(Where it mentions Sony it’s SIE, not Sony Pictures. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the arguments about what SIE could do without pissing off SP.)

41 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

If this showcase just ends up being more Forza/Halo/Gears with a couple of new IP’s thrown in then they’re gonna get called out quickly.

Really"?  I think that sounds decent enough - updates to the big franchises people will be looking for PLUS some new stuff as well - would that really not be good enough? Crikey, they're not going to win whatever they do are they...

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Really"?  I think that sounds decent enough - updates to the big franchises people will be looking for PLUS some new stuff as well - would that really not be good enough? Crikey, they're not going to win whatever they do are they...

I think the stick that's most often used to beat them with is that they just put out the same games over and over. 

I'm hopeful that they will have some new AAA games that aren't from their established stable, those are the ones that will generate most interest (though the buzz about Halo is tangible from where I'm sat). Everyone knows they're getting a Halo, Forza and Gears already.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

people said the good/evil stuff was too simplistic but it gave you alot of latitude in terms of achieving goals. The dark side got incredibly dark as you tested there it seems Purin :D

So the story was focused but your personal character path was your own.

None of the good Vs evil stuff had much in the way of meaningful impact. A few doors you had to be a bastard or an angel to open but that was about it. The original promise was a world where your actions had a meaningful impact. 

I guess I just want more games to follow through on what Mordors nemesis system promised at the start of the generation. A fantasy world where your allies and enemies were driven by AI systems instead of the writers pen. Fable seems perfect for that. 

5 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I just think they need some big crowd pleasing announcements, just like Sony did that year they announced the FFVII remake, The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3.

Halo/Forza/Gears have their fan base, but as has already been said, they’re expected. New IP is welcomed and important and is always present. What they’re usually missing is the stuff that generates real excitement. Imagine if later today we got announcements on a new Splinter Cell, a Silent Hill remake, a new Perfect Dark, Batman exclusive to Xbox. Those are the sort of hype generators Microsoft need to get people excited, in my opinion.

As much as people dicked on Bugsnax (not me!) and some of the other bits and bobs in Sony's show it had variety. Microsoft need a show that isn't Forza Horizon + some brown games. They have the properties available even before they create new IP (specifically at least some of Rare's passed stuff in Banjo and Viva Piñata and now Sea of Thieves).

I have precisely zero interest in anything but Forza out of MS's recent line up (oh and Flight Simulator). I also have little interest in Sony's AAA line up either but I can appreciate that it hits a wider range of notes and has done for pretty much all of this generation.

If I was honest MS' problem is sometimes not their actual output but the perception of it. They've had some other games State of Decay and Sea of Thieves but they have this terrible habit of having every one of their major shows dominated by Forza, Gears or Halo.

Buying WB games seems like the sort of thing that MS and Warner would need to announce to the stock market as soon as it happened due to the size of the deal. The rumour is WB want $4Billion. I don't think that sort of deal could be held back in order to to get some buzz from a YouTube stream. 

28 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Any ownership Sony have of Spider-Man is licensing based, not a core ownership. He's Marvel property, it's just the IP was signed out arguably before Marvel understood its value.

Marvel went bankrupt in the late nineties. Superhero movies were more miss than hit at that point and they needed the money. Hence selling movie rights to anyone who would take them. That's why Marvel had to start their cinematic universe with Captain America and Iron Man and such, those were characters nobody was interested in so they still happened to have those rights.

The X-Men movie license was also lost permanently to Fox the same way. It took buying up Fox to get them back.

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

Splinter Cell, a Silent Hill remake, a new Perfect Dark, Batman exclusive

It's interesting that I agree with you but those titles would largely leave me cold in principal - they might well show those games and they could be the thing I'd be most keen on. 

However, reading those names just makes me think "Eh, remake, old franchise" and for a lot of people Perfect Dark won't even be something they've heard of, a 360 launch title?  15 years ago? You've got to be 20 something to remember it. I'm not trying to pick on your selection, I know you're just pulling things out of the air, but the fact remains that established game franchise means a sequel that people are familiar with because there's been a release in recent memory OR it's an old game that half the audience have never heard of.  I'm not sure that's a world beating strategy. 

I'd prefer to see Microsoft airing amazing new IP of their own that grabs the imagination OR uses franchises that either would make amazing video games or be the video game that everyone always wanted. 

Alien: Isolation (yes, I know it's a 40 year old movie and would fall foul of my own "but the young people!" complaint and to be fair they have kept the movies alive with sequels, etc) would be the kind of template I'd like to see, a franchise that everyone knows and a game that uses the franchise well. 

I'd love a really good Ghostbusters game (I kinda get away with that one since we were supposed to have a new movie in cinemas right now), so if they could find a way to make it work well, vs previous games that'd be great! I'm not sure it's possible. 

That sort of thing would generate real excitement, IMO.  Far more than putting out a remake of a horror game or an exclusive game that features a character already well established in video games. 

7 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Halo/Forza/Gears have their fan base, but as has already been said, they’re expected. New IP is welcomed and important and is always present. What they’re usually missing is the stuff that generates real excitement. Imagine if later today we got announcements on a new Splinter Cell, a Silent Hill remake, a new Perfect Dark, Batman exclusive to Xbox. Those are the sort of hype generators Microsoft need to get people excited, in my opinion.

Exactly this. Microsoft and uncle Phil always put on a good, decent show - arguably better than Sony, but Sony often has big OMFG HYPE MEGATON type announcements that has the internet going crazy for weeks. Like Boozy jokingly said earlier, all Sony needs to do to overshadow the Microsoft show is post a single tweet with the GTA6 logo tomorrow. Microsoft could do with a big OMFG reveal on top of their no doubt decent showing.

I would like a Splinter Cell reveal the most but I would say that of course :)

Phil walks out

xbox logo

three shots, the usual suspects

”yeah yeah, new halo, new forza, new gears of war blah blah blah.. AND THIS”

<hyperkinetic video of new new stuff>

<mic drop>

<walks off>

then the devs of each game pop up, to say a bit about each of their games.

job done.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic