Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

Xbox One s

Xbox One x

Xbox Series s

Xbox Series X

did I get that right?

It’s absolute guff and before anyone says anything it really does matter. It’s Wii and Wii U levels of confusion.

Imagine pretending to be confused by easily understood concepts to score internet points.

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

Hang on, there’s a Series S?

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

Xbox One s

Xbox One x

Xbox Series s

Xbox Series X

did I get that right?

It’s absolute guff and before anyone says anything it really does matter. It’s Wii and Wii U levels of confusion.

You missed the Xbox 360 Core, Xbox 360 Arcade, Xbox 360 Elite, Xbox 360 S, Xbox 360 E. It almost like all this nonsense has not been a problem at all.

Now let’s not get hasty here, the Nintendo 3DS did terribly because nobody knew it was a new system, while the similarly priced PlayStation Vita made a clean break from the PSP and made a fortune. Clearly brand clarity counts for a lot.

20 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Should've gone Xbox One 360 

We all understand the naming convention but we should, this is an enthusiast's forum.

There's a reason the Switch isn't called the Switch-U, Wii-Switch or S-wii-itch

True, it’s why the Gameboy Advance did so badly. 

The naming convention is messy, in my opinion. 

The concept behind what Microsoft are doing is really cool but the way they’re communicating it with the names of the consoles is unclear and can’t get any easier as time marches on and progress demands new hardware revisions. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

To be fair we're comparing Xbox One X to Xbox Series X.

It's closer to the GBA having been called the GB Colour DX, and of course when nintendo have pulled that trick, eg - DSi, it was effectively the same system.

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

The naming convention is messy, in my opinion. 

The concept behind what Microsoft are doing is really cool but the way they’re communicating it with the names of the consoles is unclear and can’t get any easier as time marches on and progress demands new hardware revisions. 

I do wonder if the general buying public give a shit though. I mean, as long as it plays their current games and runs the new Halo and Call of Duty and Fifa etc, then I'm guessing most of them will be perfectly happy with whatever machine they pick up. 

Folks seem to be content with buying Polaroid 4k TVs in Asda as their main machines these days, so I'm guessing a large proportion will just sit down, play the thing and not worry.

Quite honestly, I wish I was like that sometimes. Playing Let's Dance 2021 on the Wii on my shitty old CRT, whilst swigging a Special Brew. 

Or possibly a nice 2 litre bottle of Cider.

Hmm. 

9 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Quite honestly, I wish I was like that sometimes. Playing Let's Dance 2021 on the Wii on my shitty old CRT, whilst swigging a Special Brew. 

:lol:

You’re terrible, Muriel (JoeK).

I presume everything will be Xbox Series Something from now on, so it’s a clean break in that regard. If they’d only had one model at launch out I bet they would have left it at Xbox, but launching with Xbox X / Xbox S was just too silly and they needed something else to differentiate it.

He has a point. Should just keep the Project names

- “yeah, I’ve got a a Scorpio but I’m definitely getting the new Scarlett, my brothers getting a Lockhart”

better than

”yeah, I’ve got one X, but I’m definitely getting the new Series X, my brothers getting a Series S

10 hours ago, layten said:

Imagine pretending to be confused by easily understood concepts to score internet points.

:D

11 hours ago, Stanley said:

It's absolute guff and will lead to all manner of confusion! 

I can see it now; rioting and looting in the streets, controllers being thrown at walls, total mayhem, anarchy and Harrisown switching exclusively to PC.

Fuck that, i'm moving to the countryside.

1 hour ago, macosx said:

He has a point. Should just keep the Project names

- “yeah, I’ve got a a Scorpio but I’m definitely getting the new Scarlett, my brothers getting a Lockhart”

better than

”yeah, I’ve got one X, but I’m definitely getting the new Series X, my brothers getting a Series S

Katana 4 ever

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

you mean “PSone”, “PStwo”, “PS3 slim” PS3 super slim”, and “PS4 pro“?

don’t forget the bits where they release the same console with bits missing without rebranding at all...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

I mean, if we’re really talking confusion (and I don’t beeline anyone was confused at the time) the original PS3 is a doozy of options, hidden capabilities etc. Can’t imagine how little Johnny’s grandma coped, but presumably she did.

4 hours ago, mrpranny said:

Does anyone have info on Microsoft flight simulator? My dad is really interested, he's been watching vids of it after being linked from flight disaster videos :3 . Maybe it'll be in this showcase?

there’s a big separate thread.

Yeah, Xbox Series X is a convoluted name. But will it create mass confusion, leading to mass panic, and the end of civilised society as we know it? Of course fucking not. Smartphone naming conventions have already been mentioned, those are even more convoluted and people of all ages cope just fine.

The one and only time that a console name lead to confusion and subsequently fewer sales - the one and only time - was arguably with the Wii U. And of course that wasn't because of the name alone. It was a perfect storm of bad marketing by Nintendo in combination with trying to take advantage of the popularity of the Wii. Even if was called something completely different, like the Nintendo Lidl Tablet, all the marketing made it seem like it was just a controller - presumably you'd connect that to the Wii.

But since we're starved for proper next gen console news, it's also understandable that we have nothing better to do than discuss the name for a pages on end! :)

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, Xbox Series X is a convoluted name. But will it create mass confusion, leading to mass panic, and the end of civilised society as we know it? Of course fucking not.

I think you’re forgetting just how stupid the English are. We are very easily confused.

18 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Ignoring exaggeration on both sides, the very fact that this discussion even exists is enough to prove the point.

it isn’t, really. The main reason the discussion exists isn’t to prove that there’s something inherently confusing about the name. It’s because it’s fun to troll.

ignore Apple for a second, and think about car trim levels.

https://www.irwinzoneford.com/ford-focus-trim-comparison.html

https://uk.motor1.com/news/371972/volkswagen-golf-trim-level-changes/

https://www.carsnip.com/car-advice/which-vauxhall-astra-should-you-buy/

now we can happily argue that these are deliberately confusing in order to make work for dealers, but people have been able to navigate the scary complexity for years through the simple mechanism of saying “which features do I want”.^ if I want a sunroof I pay this much, if I want sat nav I pay this much more etc.

see also... tv model names, etc.

^ e.g. do I want to play PS games? Should I buy a PS4 or a PS4 Pro (will the pro play my existing games better) ? should I buy a digital edition of the PS5? If I buy the non digital edition of the PS5 will I still be able to buy digital games? (This is the level of the “debate” about consumer confusion here).

The easiest way to differentiate between the consoles, for all you lot struggling with names, will be to look at the price.

The way this disaster is unfolding though, I now expect MS to price the Series S more expensive than the X.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

The easiest way to differentiate between the consoles, for all you lot struggling with names, will be to look at the price.

The way this disaster is unfolding though, I now expect MS to price the Series S more expensive than the X.

This, go looking for an Xbox next year and Series S and Series X will be all you can choose from, so it’s a case of how much do you want to spend? The games advertised will work on them all and no doubt list all the compatible devices, 

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Which X?

I don’t really think this is a big issue but it’s something they could have easily avoided. I understand the idea of wanting to preserve the S/X split but I think it introduces issues of its own. But in the end I doubt they’ll be any real world impact.

11 minutes ago, footle said:

it isn’t, really. The main reason the discussion exists isn’t to prove that there’s something inherently confusing about the name. It’s because it’s fun to troll

That, but like I said it's mostly because there's fuck all else to discuss until the full reveal. We're just killing time until Microsoft shows us more.

11 hours ago, Stanley said:

Gameboy came out in 1989 and the Advance in 2001 so you know, a bit of a bloody obvious difference.

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

You'll want to throw a few slims and a pro in there. 

The difference being that apart from the Pro, the slim models replaced the originals that had been out for years.

Microsoft is releasing consoles named S and X when they already have current S and X models on the market but those are actually different devices

1 hour ago, footle said:

don’t forget the bits where they release the same console with bits missing without rebranding at all...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

I mean, if we’re really talking confusion (and I don’t beeline anyone was confused at the time) the original PS3 is a doozy of options, hidden capabilities etc. Can’t imagine how little Johnny’s grandma coped, but presumably she did.

None of those options take away that if you buy a PS3 game disc it's going to work on a PS3, whether or not it supports linux or has an sd card reader or not.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic