IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

2 hours ago, JPL said:

It’s really very simple. Both the Series S and X will play the same games. The Series S at 1080 and the X at 4K. The first wave or two of games will also run on the current Xbox.

If the rumours are true, of course.

Yes, which is why I'm saying it's not much of a saving because it'll still need virtually all the power of the X to guarantee that, or you're seriously limiting what people can do on the X.

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

Thats very unlikely to happen, as they have actual cpus! Physics was offset to the gpu, as cpus in the bone and ps4 were utterly pathetic.

And NVIDIA PhysX exists on the PC because...?

The huge power disparity between the first generation Xbox One and the Xbox One X didn’t stop games using PhysX across both.

Actually that’s not a bad comparison if I do say so, it’s a smaller same power difference between those and the mooted Series consoles.

18 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The problem is it literally needs to be used once for the Series S to need to be quick enough to support it or for MS to accept the game won't run on it.

Not if it's PhysX on CPU. My understanding is that's how nearly all current gen console games run PhysX.

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The problem is it literally needs to be used once for the Series S to need to be quick enough to support it or for MS to accept the game won't run on it.

Yeah, so you don’t use it. The cpus they’re putting in these things are so much more powerful than the cpus they’ve previously had, or the cpus that were about when GPU phyx was a thing.

44 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yes, which is why I'm saying it's not much of a saving because it'll still need virtually all the power of the X to guarantee that, or you're seriously limiting what people can do on the X.

No idea why I quoted you, I’m sure I was replying to Dirty Harry Potter’s post, but seeing as I’m here my understanding would be that the S will be pretty much the same console, but with the GPU and RAM dialled down for 1080 output, rather than 4K. I’ve no idea how much of a saving that’d be, but I can’t see it being all that insignificant.

It seems like a really logical way to allow them to release a cut down console that will play anything that the Series X will.

4 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

What’s going to be the difference between the X and the series S? Is the X more powerful?

(And Jesus Microsoft you have made this convoluted and confusing. Lord knows how the general consumer will navigate your naming conventions.)

How? It really is simple. People who are tying themselves in knots over things must have massive problems when buying most tech or cars. 

Oh shit, I don't know if this £22,000 Ford Focus is the new one or the one from 2004! So confusing!!!!

10 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

How? It really is simple. People who are tying themselves in knots over things must have massive problems when buying most tech or cars. 

Oh shit, I don't know if this £22,000 Ford Focus is the new one or the one from 2004! So confusing!!!!

you're right, except this is more like two ford focus (focii?), from the same year, but one is an ST, and the other is an ST-Line.

4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

you're right, except this is more like two ford focus (focii?), from the same year, but one is an ST, and the other is an ST-Line.

Which are also really easy to differentiate. I’ve honestly no idea how anyone with even a passing interest would get confused. I think it’s probably just a bit of silly console wars nonsense masquerading as concern.

Aha, so that’s what concern trolling is!

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Or iPad. Is that iPad or iPad pro this years or last years model? I have no idea! What about the Mac? Oh man they have 5 different configurations, and those configurations are changed every year, but they all have the same name! How will I ever know which one I am buying!

2 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Or iPad. Is that iPad or iPad pro this years or last years model? I have no idea! What about the Mac? Oh man they have 5 different configurations, and those configurations are changed every year, but they all have the same name! How will I ever know which one I am buying!

the most expensive one is the best one?

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

It's all rumour though at the moment, there is no messaging at all. If (when) the thing is actually announced would probably be a better time to comment on the messaging.

In fairness there is messaging. They've done a whole press release and video about "Optimised for Series X" as already posted earlier on this thread. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/25/xbox-series-x-full-power-of-console-games-optimized/

The Series S/Lockhart details are sketchy but have been confirmed to be a real thing so I don't think commenting that the two things don't really stack up at this time is hardly a high concept topic (unless they call one the Series X and one the Series X Pro/Plus/Digital/Lite or something in which case it's would work).

I'm not sure it precludes an opinion/discussion on it, especially when there is plenty going on about the actual state of the hardware spec which is a much much more wooly area. If no one cares, then that's also fine :) 

I don't really get the defensiveness about it things like this to be honest. Xbox is great, but not everything about it is always right/well done and it's okay to say that and talk about it. I like my Playstation too but Sony have a catalogue of mis-steps themselves as well.

34 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

It's pretty well established that cars keep model names but update every x years. Not so for consoles and that isn't what's happening either - it's not quite the same name. Also the Series X/S will be temporarily compatible with the X/S for a few years for first party stuff then won't. People like us understand the difference but then we're not close to being your average console buyer. You're also much more likely to do some research and figure out slightly confusing product names and compatability windows if you're spending £22k - less so for a £400 - £500 gaming device. Given Microsoft are going to finish this gen in a distant third place it seems odd to obfuscate their product line to any degree. 

1 minute ago, petrolgirls said:

It's pretty well established that cars keep model names but update every x years. Not so for consoles and that isn't what's happening either - it's not quite the same name. Also the Series X/S will be temporarily compatible with the X/S for a few years for first party stuff then won't. People like us understand the difference but then we're not close to being your average console buyer. You're also much more likely to do some research and figure out slightly confusing product names and compatability windows if you're spending £22k - less so for a £400 - £500 gaming device. Given Microsoft are going to finish this gen in a distant third place it seems odd to obfuscate their product line to any degree. 

So like iPad, or iPad Pro, or Mac, or Macbook, or Precision, or most other bits of tech out there. 

They all have their names and get updated each year / few years. Games and apps will be compatible across multiple versions, but will drop off eventually. 

Most people are not that stupid. It will be fine. 

20 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

In fairness there is messaging. They've done a whole press release and video about "Optimised for Series X" as already posted earlier on this thread. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/25/xbox-series-x-full-power-of-console-games-optimized/

The Series S/Lockhart details are sketchy but have been confirmed to be a real thing so I don't think commenting that the two things don't really stack up at this time is hardly a high concept topic (unless they call one the Series X and one the Series X Pro/Plus/Digital/Lite or something in which case it's would work).

I'm not sure it precludes an opinion/discussion on it, especially when there is plenty going on about the actual state of the hardware spec which is a much much more wooly area. If no one cares, then that's also fine :) 

I don't really get the defensiveness about it things like this to be honest. Xbox is great, but not everything about it is always right/well done and it's okay to say that and talk about it. I like my Playstation too but Sony have a catalogue of mis-steps themselves as well.

Have Microsoft released a press release about Lockhart?  The fact that we're still referring to it's codename suggests that they haven't said much if they have.

10 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Have Microsoft released a press release about Lockhart?  The fact that we're still referring to it's codename suggests that they haven't said much if they have.

No, they have recently released stuff about their new "Optimized for Series X" badge (see link in post you quoted) which I have merely made a side comment that - from a marketing point of view - if they do call the other one the Series S (which all the current leaks/rumours are fairly confident about) I don't feel like it stacks up that well. Especially compared to things like "Smart Delivery" which has done the job really well at drawing things together.

2 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

No, they have recently released stuff about their new "Optimized for Series X" badge (see link in post you quoted) which I have merely made a side comment that - from a marketing point of view - if they do call the other one the Series S (which all the current leaks/rumours are fairly confident about) I don't feel like it stacks up that well. Especially compared to things like "Smart Delivery" which have done the jobs really well.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that there was confusion around Lockhart and I was interested to know what the messaging was. I know they've been talking about Series X. 

19 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

So like iPad, or iPad Pro, or Mac, or Macbook, or Precision, or most other bits of tech out there. 

They all have their names and get updated each year / few years. Games and apps will be compatible across multiple versions, but will drop off eventually. 

Most people are not that stupid. It will be fine. 

All your examples are just a model name and a year, this is an Xbox [name] One [name for 3rd and 4th generation] Series [4th generation] X/S [GPU power differential]. None of that seems especially intuitive. Compare with an iPad [name] Pro [power differential] it seems needlessly convoluted. I'm not saying most people won't be able to figure it out but it seems an odd hurdle to place in front of consumers given where Microsoft are in the market. 

31 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Have you just explained that your own argument is stupid?

no, because my previous arguments were: 

"who's buying the cheaper cut-down version, when a better version exists?"

and 

"who's buying the expensive version when a cheaper version that does nearly the same thing exists?"

which has always been my only concern. Since time began:

No one's buying the hardware if the games are not there.

No one's making games for if it no one's buying the hardware.

it's the videogame equivalent of a catch-22 situation.

#consistency

I would assume they'd just add an 'Optimised for Series S' badge as well - and have that on any boxes needed alongside the 'X' one. Or they'll also have a joint 'Optimised for Series S&X' badge.

There are plenty of options still that could very easily work.

Just now, rgraves said:

I would assume they'd just add an 'Optimised for Series S' badge as well - and have that on any boxes needed alongside the 'X' one. Or they'll also have a joint 'Optimised for Series S&X' badge.

There are plenty of options still that could very easily work.

A matrix on the back of each game with...

... no silly idea, an xbox one game that's "enhanced for Xbox One X" wouldn't necessarily be "enhanced for Xbox Series S", would it. It would be "standard" on a Series X, wouldn't it?

or super-enhanced, on series S, and dogs-bollocks enhanced on series X.

12 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Sorry, I thought you were saying that there was confusion around Lockhart and I was interested to know what the messaging was. I know they've been talking about Series X. 

No, sorry all I've seen on that was the Eurogamer thing about a leaked Microsoft document...  https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-29-microsoft-will-close-out-june-without-a-big-xbox-20-20-moment

11 minutes ago, rgraves said:

To be honest you've kind of made my point for me there as I don't think loads of badges does work very well from a marketing point of view. Although "optimised for S&X" sounds like something Elon Musk would stick on a Tesla and they do alright.

It was all a minor observation really. I work in marketing and as soon as I saw the "optimised" thing it just felt a bit wrong compared to some of the other good stuff they've done.

Either way... I'm interested to hear more about the Series S as it actually appeals quite a lot. If the price is low enough it might tempt me in early (as I'm probably going to go PS5 for launch now) but might give me that bump up in performance for my Game Pass/existing Xbox games (which I'll otherwise be continuing to play on my Xbox One) rather than waiting for a year or two before getting the X when I can afford it and the proper games come out.

15 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

No, they have recently released stuff about their new "Optimized for Series X" badge (see link in post you quoted) which I have merely made a side comment that - from a marketing point of view - if they do call the other one the Series S (which all the current leaks/rumours are fairly confident about) I don't feel like it stacks up that well. Especially compared to things like "Smart Delivery" which has done the job really well at drawing things together.

Maybe there’s an optimised for Series S badge that sits next to the X one.

5 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

(And Jesus Microsoft you have made this convoluted and confusing. Lord knows how the general consumer will navigate your naming conventions.)

Agreed. Series One S, Series One X? Really? Maybe the worst console names of all time.