Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams

So it looks like Microsoft have confirmed what many people assumed. Series X is just for this line of consoles, and all new ones will be "Xbox" - https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-only-using-xbox-name-going-forward-2019-12

So it allows them to have:

Series X (2020)

Series S (2020)

Series X (2025)

Series S (2025)

Someone on Reddit made a point that kind of fits:

Everyone is pointing to phones, but I think the better example is cars. You can get a Ford Mustang, but what trim level and what year? You can get a Microsoft Xbox, but what...power level (?) and what year?

43 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

So it allows them to have:

Series X (2020)

Series S (2020)

Series X (2025)

Series S (2025)

The problem with that, as far as I can see, is that punters will assume their Xbox One X will be able to play Series X games. Whilst some cross gen games will be be compatible with both there will be plenty of titles that won't.

There's a number of reasons why the phone analogy doesn't really work with consoles but I'm not sure that car analogy is more helpful either. 

I don't think that fits at all. The year and trim is largely irrelevant to whether the car will fulfill its intended purpose. Which Xbox you have is, at some point, going to dictate which games you can and can't play, and they need to find a good way to communicate that isn't a tiny thing on the back of the box or a line in the ad that says "requires Xbox Air 7th Generation or newer."

If there is going to be a Series S and Series X, then what do you refer to the whole gen as? The "Xbox Series"? What does the top of the box say for the next-gen version of Halo Infinite to make it clear you can't use it on an Xbox One?

I can see everyone assuming any console which has got an X at the end of the name is going to be a part of Series X.

Also surely the £599 price is Microsoft pegging the price ridiculously high to make the console seem like a bargain, like when a bunch of trusted Apple sources all came out with the same $999 iPad figure for a piece of hardware that ultimately cost half that.

20 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

The problem with that, as far as I can see, is that punters will assume their Xbox One X will be able to play Series X games. Whilst some cross gen games will be be compatible with both there will be plenty of titles that won't.

There's a number of reasons why the phone analogy doesn't really work with consoles but I'm not sure that car analogy is more helpful either. 

Works for Apple with the Macbooks and iPads.

Also, I genuinely think Microsoft will leverage Xcloud. They've said there will be no exclusives etc. I really think that once it's live and a generation or so in, if you have an old machine and buy a new game then it will just stream rather than play locally. 

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

If there is going to be a Series S and Series X, then what do you refer to the whole gen as? The "Xbox Series"? What does the top of the box say for the next-gen version of Halo Infinite to make it clear you can't use it on an Xbox One?

Xbox

And I don't think it will fail to work on Xbox one. I think for earlier games in the project then they will just run like PC games & current XB1/XB1X, that will scale graphics / resolution etc. Then for later games, if the machine can't run it locally, it will stream.

23 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Xbox

And I don't think it will fail to work on Xbox one. I think for earlier games in the project then they will just run like PC games & current XB1/XB1X, that will scale graphics / resolution etc. Then for later games, if the machine can't run it locally, it will stream.

Which again is utterly useless for the average UK internet connection.

And PC games have minimum requirements, they don't just scale.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

They're getting better. I've been playing a lot of the beta of Xcloud, it's not perfect but it runs pretty well on a 40Mb connection. 

And PC games have minimum requirements, they don't just scale.

And back to my point. They scale within those requirements. I think that's how it will work with Xbox, and if you have an older machine, it will switch to streaming.

It's not perfect, but it's the way I can see Microsoft going forward with this whole "No more generations / play your games wherever you want" mantra that they have.

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

Xbox

I think they've already said there will be two versions of Halo Infinite. One for Xbox One and one for this thing.

The possibility someone comes home from the shops with the wrong version seems high if they don't sort out their naming convention, I think.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think they've already said there will be two versions of Halo Infinite. One for Xbox One and one for this thing.

The possibility someone comes home from the shops with the wrong version seems high if they don't sort out their naming convention, I think.

I reckon it’ll be the same disc, it’ll just detect which console you’ve stuck it in and download accordingly.

I think all of the talk about the name being confusing and it being a retread of the WiiU is ignoring the fact that we're a year out and haven't actually seen how Microsoft are selling this to the public. Sure we've had a reveal at the Game Awards, which is tailored to our kind of people, games nerds, but we wont see any actual for Johnny FiFA/COD messaging until next year. 

The WiiU never really sold itself as a new thing. Because the Wii was such a massive hit, all of the advertising was basically "do the same again" so it didn't differentiate itself enough from the previous model. 

Look at Apple, they chuck an ad out once a year with the messaging being pretty much the sum total of "The New iPhone" and a series of cool things that show that this bit is better this bit is better and this bit is better. That's all Microsoft really need to do, just sell it in as "The New Xbox (X Series)" and show off a load of stuff the One X can't do. There might be a bit of confusion but, well, there's a reason marketing is as big an industry as it is. 

Let's see how they try to sell it before writing it off entirely. 

The sheer number of hot takes from people who aren't going to get confused between one console and the other, saying that the general public and audience for this thing are going to get confused, when it's targeting early adopters in year one and will be £300 more expensive than the thing it's going to be confused with... confuse me.

It's not like Xbox had anything like the market penetration of the Wii, or that we're back in the early nineties when there was a significant risk of confusion because people under fifty existed who hadn't ever bought videogames.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Yes it's much better now we have to differentiate between Xbox (1), Xbox One and Xbox. 

I was more thinking how the whole ‘One’ paradigm introduced with the Xbox One is Microsoft at its absolute worst, with Ballmer and Myerson pushing Bach (and his protegé Spencer) and J Allard out of the way at the time. And losing sight of some of the core values of the Xbox platform in the progress.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don't think that fits at all. The year and trim is largely irrelevant to whether the car will fulfill its intended purpose. Which Xbox you have is, at some point, going to dictate which games you can and can't play, and they need to find a good way to communicate that isn't a tiny thing on the back of the box or a line in the ad that says "requires Xbox Air 7th Generation or newer."

I can see everyone assuming any console which has got an X at the end of the name is going to be a part of Series X.

Within a couple of years it’s highly possible you won’t be able to buy a physical game. Even now there’s plenty of digital only games and that is only going to grow. So by that point the console will just tell you that the game won’t work on your machine or will be a streamable version only. It’s very clear Xbox is becoming a platform than a console and Microsoft will keep pushing this angle until their hardware cost is just a controller rather than expensive to make and sell consoles.

3 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

I was more thinking how the whole ‘One’ paradigm introduced with the Xbox One is Microsoft at its absolute worst, with Ballmer and Myerson pushing Bach (and his protegé Spencer) and J Allard out of the way at the time. And losing sight of some of the core values of the Xbox platform in the progress.

What are the core values of the Xbox platform?

8 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

What are the core values of the Xbox platform?

Two of the core values that Spencer has addressed are 1) how important it is to maintain the idea that the Xbox is the most powerful console, or at least not be underpowered in comparison with the competition, and 2) the importance of focussing on 1p software as I think that dropped off at the end of the 360 era going into the One. Now they have 15 studios associated with XGS.

Spencer spoke about #1 during the presentation of the One X during E3 17, and without directly blaming the previous management for it, he said they had lost focus of how much having the most powerful console meant. Hence the One X.

21 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

They're getting better. I've been playing a lot of the beta of Xcloud, it's not perfect but it runs pretty well on a 40Mb connection. 

40 mb is twice the UK average connection.

20 hours ago, Mugman said:

Look at Apple, they chuck an ad out once a year with the messaging being pretty much the sum total of "The New iPhone" and a series of cool things that show that this bit is better this bit is better and this bit is better. That's all Microsoft really need to do, just sell it in as "The New Xbox (X Series)" and show off a load of stuff the One X can't do. There might be a bit of confusion but, well, there's a reason marketing is as big an industry as it is. 

Again, you don't walk into a store and buy boxed software for your iPhone, incompatible things are simply never offered.

20 hours ago, footle said:

The sheer number of hot takes from people who aren't going to get confused between one console and the other, saying that the general public and audience for this thing are going to get confused, when it's targeting early adopters in year one and will be £300 more expensive than the thing it's going to be confused with... confuse me.

It's not like Xbox had anything like the market penetration of the Wii, or that we're back in the early nineties when there was a significant risk of confusion because people under fifty existed who hadn't ever bought videogames.

The sheer number of "hot takes" (Whatever the fuck those are) from those who haven't worked in games shops.

Hell there were a number of my tech savvy friends who found out from me Wii U was a new format.

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

40 mb is twice the UK average connection.

I understand that. Connections are getting faster though. Slowly maybe, but they're getting better. This is a year out & planning for further into the future. 

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The sheer number of "hot takes" (Whatever the fuck those are) from those who haven't worked in games shops.

Spent 10 years working in games shops. I don't think it's going to be as much of an issue as people are making out on here. Yes, some parents do get confused with products, but that happens any way. The majority are fine.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams
  • gospvg pinned this topic
  • gospvg unpinned this topic