Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 November

Chalk me up as another one who likes the boring black box approach with a logo on it at most. 

As distinctive as past consoles looked I think we're at the point where they just need to blend in with all the other shit under the telly.  Down with curved surfaces.  I want them stackable to be honest.   I believe @SeanR has a lovely stackable setup.  

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

No, you misunderstand, I mean I don't  care if you think I am part of the problem.

EDIT : ignore me , I’m a stroppy twat today . Apologies @JPL and @rafaqat

No worries mate.

39 minutes ago, Revival said:

It might not be a debugging port after all.

"What do you reckon", "I believe", and "I feel" makes me think this may not be a series of statements based on inside information.

Is therea reason you couldn't attach a large USB drive to store things on, but have to move the game to the nvme drive to play?

Same as you can on a pc, have a large external or nas attached and move things over when you want instead of redownloading.

11 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Is therea reason you couldn't attach a large USB drive to store things on, but have to move the game to the nvme drive to play?

Same as you can on a pc, have a large external or nas attached and move things over when you want instead of redownloading.

That would not be a very console experience. 

Makes sense for that port to be a expansion port for extra storage.  Although I'd be a little dissapointed if I have to keep my current exernal USB drive with my Xboxe Ones and not just plug it into the new one.   I liked that feature.

Hmm, that makes me wonder how these fast storage systems will work on the next-generation versions of XCloud and PSNow. Right now presumably they can get a decent chunk of the streaming game library on any given server. Surely they're not going to have quite as big an SSD in every server instance?

I mean more as a logistical issue than a can-they-do-it one, there are probably a lot of interesting options.

How fast is USB 3.0 now? Could they do one of these high-bandwidth SSDs (or something that was slower, but still usable) over that connection, as an external box rather than an add-in card? You can feed a GPU over that bus after all.

12 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

@Dudley what have you started ?

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Xbox VR isn't happening until this thing at the very least gets a a revision mid gen. Also it's a prototype hence the cheap looking plastic, they could have at least  have wiped the jizz stains off it before taking the pics. 

I almost hope it doesn't, because I'm not sure console VR's userbase can support competitors.  An Xbox VR might kill both of them.

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

giphy.gif

I almost hope it doesn't, because I'm not sure console VR's userbase can support competitors.  An Xbox VR might kill both of them.

Why? It should be easy to port PC VR titles to XSX. A few million extra customers isn't something to be sneezed at.  It should offer at least that.

MS clearly don't give a monkey's though, if they're not including Virtualink or a second hdmi port.

A few million?

Doesn’t everyone remember the derision when the PSVR adoption numbers were announced, and it was a tiny fraction of the user base?

why would this be any different?

9 hours ago, Super Craig said:

It could be done, but it’s going to be a pain in the arse if you’re going to have to “install” things from your external regularly.

In theory couldn’t that all be done without the user ever knowing? Stuff which hasn’t been used for a while is quietly copied to the HDD, and if it’s needed again it’s copied back, in prioritised chunks, like the ‘ready to play’ system when downloading a game from the store. 

Given the bundled storage is purely SSD rather than a hybrid it’s likely MS might not have made it that clever. Isn’t there an Apple product with a hybrid drive that works this way?

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

A few million?

Doesn’t everyone remember the derision when the PSVR adoption numbers were announced, and it was a tiny fraction of the user base?

why would this be any different?

Derision? only from idiots more interested in willy waving than games. We play games we want the latest tech. If it is good (and PSVR is excellent) then I couldn't give a stuff how many it sells as long as it has enough software support. PSVR has had that support, sufficient to warrant the outlay I made anyway - so it matters not if it was 10%, 1% or .001% of the PS4 owners they sold it to. If it weren't for PSVR I would have sold my PS4 so it has been the USP for me.

I'd like MS to get involved in the VR space but I think after Kinect they are unfairly wary of the gaming niches.

17 minutes ago, Pob said:

In theory couldn’t that all be done without the user ever knowing? Stuff which hasn’t been used for a while is quietly copied to the HDD, and if it’s needed again it’s copied back, in prioritised chunks, like the ‘ready to play’ system when downloading a game from the store. 

Given the bundled storage is purely SSD rather than a hybrid it’s likely MS might not have made it that clever. Isn’t there an Apple product with a hybrid drive that works this way?

Improving the play-as-you-download functionality and applying it to installs from externals would probably be the best option. Wouldn't be practical for every game.

I don't think Apple has any fancy hardware for what they do. It's all software as far as I know.

I move games from the HDD to my SSD all the time. I keep the games I'm currently playing on the SSD and move them when I want a change. I can even load a game off the HDD and play while it moves to the SSD.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 November
  • gospvg unpinned this topic