Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 November

33 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

image.thumb.png.038ef1bbf169f1caaa46633e58ba610a.png

Changes to CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD as well as no Blu-ray drive.

Comparable to the PS4 Pro in the graphics processing department, then ( The PS4 Pro performs at around 4.2 teraflops ).

36 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

So, we have details about a few of the launch games now:

Dirt 5

Gears Tactics

Watch Dogs 3 (next gen version... current gen is out a couple of weeks earlier)

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Anything else confirmed?

Tetris Effect: Connected

Destiny 2 expansion, whatever it's called

This has thrown me for a loop - I was all set to bypass the Xbox, upgrade my PC and pick up a PS5.

Really tempted to ditch the PC upgrade now and just get the Xbox (with all the PC changes I need to make it works out cheaper by quite a lot).

39 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Dirt 5

Gears Tactics

Anything else confirmed?

Tetris Effect, I think.

16 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Comparable to the PS4 Pro in the graphics processing department, then ( The PS4 Pro performs at around 4.2 teraflops ).

Series S is RDNA 2.0, PS4 Pro isn't. So they're not equal teraflops (don't ask me to go into any more detail than that, it's over my head).

Christ, where do they get these people from....I mean honestly :doh:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5wSflp9jMjpdPdC3bKS633l/new-xbox-prices-revealed-the-console-wars-are-over

it’s a clever move on Microsoft’s part to be able to say “we have a next gen machine that’s half the price”. Of course, that argument falls down somewhat when one actually compares performance

Falls down!? It bloody doesn't. When you actually look at what you're getting, it goes the other way - it's astonishing that you basically get everything just at a lower resolution.

I'm now wondering the best place to preorder.

I imagine a lot of retailers will want a deposit, that's ok if they guarantee me one.  

Do I preorder at my local Currys or Argos and jump on the bus into town and get it early in the morning?

Do I go with an online retailer with the possibility of it not arriving for launch and me wasting a days holiday?

45 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Dirt 5

Gears Tactics

Anything else confirmed?

Its so crap, they're all cross gen. 343 might be numpties but one was expecting Forza 8 to be on time :( 

1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

Multiples of GameCubes is the only performance metric that matters around here.

Power - multiples of GameCube

Size - multiples of DVD case

It's the only way.

12 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm now wondering the best place to preorder.

I imagine a lot of retailers will want a deposit, that's ok if they guarantee me one.  

Do I preorder at my local Currys or Argos and jump on the bus into town and get it early in the morning?

Do I go with an online retailer with the possibility of it not arriving for launch and me wasting a days holiday?

I’d go with a physical store personally. I took Switch launch day off and Amazon  delivered mine at 7.45pm...

2 hours ago, Escaped said:

There is, however, a massive price hike once our £1 subs end.

It's quite a price hike, but so far I've added a year for £65 since then. Given that Live or PSPlus, even on discount, tends to be around £40 in your UK pounds bought at the UK store, that's not so bad.

Come this time in 2023, clearly I'll be either dropping it or shelling out £11/month if there are precisely no offers between now and then (and even then, that's my choice - I could buy an all-access version of the Series X, and I'd be paid up till 2025, protected from Games Pass Ultimate price rises, but it'll be interesting to see how the value changes over the next three years or so - I don't feel there's a rush).

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's so good about it? It's basically 0% interest on the full cost of an Xbox and that much game pass.

It's 0% interest and 2 years of game pass.  So no financial hit taking tha option over paying up front I would imagine?   Just another option for people who want to go that route without any penalties.

PS5 full fat edition is going to have to be 400 quid I would imagine now.  Digital edition £350/£300.   They'll still sell loads regardless of price but it' good to see MS keeping it all competitive rather than get themselves completely stomped into the ground.  

3 hours ago, JPL said:

EA Play (I’m guessing this is now what they’re calling EA Access) being part of GamePass Ultimate is also an excellent move.

3 hours ago, Pob said:

Eeep.  Missed this.  That GamePass subscription is absolutely amazing value.   Cloud Streaming too.   
Looking forward to what Sony's response is on the subscription front.

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

I think I’m in on the all access deal. I usually prefer buying things outright but that’s usually because it’s so much more otherwise. This feels like a good deal even if I’m unlikely to get the most out of it. 

Can someone tell me what ‘level’ of EA Play it’s likely to be? If it’s the one that’s going to mean I get FIFA 21 on release too then this will be ideal for me. 

Also, how do I sign up for the all access thing? Can I go through Microsoft on my Live account or do I have to deal with someone grubby like Game?

When I had EA Access you never got the new fifa until approx 6 months in. 

Just now, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Something completely off topic but I'm asking anyway...  Why is an Xbox Elite Pad  almost the same price as the new Series S Console?   What do those pads off for the price?!

They were about £180?

Basically, they're your high end equivalent to a steering wheel:

- Integrated battery

- Nicer grips

- Completely customisable paddles/stick/stick tension

- Customisable trigger positions

- Three internal memory settings for controls

- Bit heavier

They're a rip-off, unless you like nice controllers. In which case you're paying a premium for a very nice controller.

(see also the difference in price between a basic mouse, and a full MX Master 3: a leap in build quality and a couple of nice to have features + 300% of price, which may be, but probably isn't, worth it to you)

So my thinking right now is an All Access Series X and Cyberpunk 2077.

Reasoning being the initial outlay is quite small via all access, and since I skipped Xbox this generation I have a large library of exclusives from Game Pass plus some decent third party indies and other odds and sods to keep me entertained for months. I'll keep my PS4 pro for now after assuming I was going to replace it with a PS5 as other than Cyberpunk and Spider-man Miles Morales, I probably wasn't going to buy anything else this year anyway.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 November