Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 Nov

John Lewis are one of the only ones doing a good job with diverse high end tech. We'll be left with cheap variants in shops with good markup but the quality will be worse than that old Alba TV you used to have that some car booter is selling on Ebay now for £100. 

45 minutes ago, bankies said:

Surprised a Day 1 edition XSX has not been announced 

I'm still of the thought that there has to be another hype show, perhaps next week and around preorder opening time, where stuff like this could be announced.

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

More so than simply or shop to.   I suppose Amazon or Microsoft are the bankers in this equation. 

I think independent online gaming retailers are fine for the foreseeable future.  They tend to be the cheaper options for physical games (especially new releases when compared to the high street) and given the new next gen will still support this, that can only help them.  Obviously digital is on the up but clearly there is still a market out there for physical for those preferring to get money back on trade ins/sell etc.  The real challenge will come when consoles are only all digital and then no doubt they will have to adapt to a cd keys type platform.  I'm going with Simply or ShopTo for the Series X. 

7 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Sorry to ruin the hype, guys, but have you seen these specs?

:unsure:

USB C is just 3.1 in a nicer shape, Bluetooth 5 is a speed and range improvement, which probably isn’t that consequential for a joypad. If you’ve got a faster than 3.5Gb/ps internet connection the wifi would be a burden though.

20 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I wont pretend to understand what WiFi 5 and 6 are but I assume 6 is better? Does it mean quicker download speeds or something?

20 minutes ago, Rev said:

USB C is just 3.1 in a nicer shape, Bluetooth 5 is a speed and range improvement, which probably isn’t that consequential for a joypad. If you’ve got a faster than 3.5Gb/ps internet connection the wifi would be a burden though.

Sorry, to be clear, I thought it was a funny tweet - the reach to find a way to pitch one system as better than the other. 

Shit, shit, shit... ...The usb ports! YES!  (and to be fair, I think everything should have USB C now).

I mean WiFi 5 or 6 no one really cares. But when the kids were on COD lockdown and mother was trying to video conference at the same time it’s the sort of thing that would’ve helped. But no one gives a F about better broadband, the election proved that last year.

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Sorry, to be clear, I thought it was a funny tweet - the reach to find a way to pitch one system as better than the other. 

Shit, shit, shit... ...The usb ports! YES! 

(USB C is very nice tbf.)

1 minute ago, mikeyl said:

I mean WiFi 5 or 6 no one really cares. But when the kids were on COD lockdown and mother was trying to video conference at the same time it’s the sort of thing that would’ve helped. But no one gives a F about better broadband, the election proved that last year.

Would it? Surely the problem was your connection, not the congestion within your own home?

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

See edit. :)

Motion passed.

At least we are in standard wires now. That’s one thing that is definitely better about modern gaming. The original Xbox’s USB in disguise for controllers was a disgrace. 

2 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Would it? Surely the problem was your connection, not the congestion within your own home?

isn’t the tech about managing multiple connected devices and stability rather than speed?

Like I said, no one would care as it’s all magic air numbers even though there may be tangible differences, especially in a cloud gaming and WFH future. Was livid the other day as had to set up a separate 2.4ghz connection for the PS4 as it couldn’t take 5ghz and the Ethernet cable didn’t reach.

11 minutes ago, Wallace said:

I'm confused by the USB Type-C bit... Doesn't Series X/S support USB Type-C? Because I'd like to be able to charge my Elite 2.0 Controller from it.

You'll just use a cable with USB C on one end and the vintage turn it upside down 3 times until it fits plug on the other end. 

Whoops. 

I think I'm struggling with 100 devices all pinging messages and emails at me at once, sorry.

I've edited but the gist is that the cable you use now is going to work (assuming you charge your Elite2 on your current Xbox).

15 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

isn’t the tech about managing multiple connected devices and stability rather than speed?

Like I said, no one would care as it’s all magic air numbers even though there may be tangible differences, especially in a cloud gaming and WFH future. Was livid the other day as had to set up a separate 2.4ghz connection for the PS4 as it couldn’t take 5ghz and the Ethernet cable didn’t reach.

6 helps with multiple users, but 6E is the one that opens up the extra frequency.

Realistically, on a 30MbPS internet connection, the problem isn’t going to be in the house.

Yes I agree that it makes hardly any tangible difference but incremental changes makes everything better. If you had a capable router and the old iPhone can connect why shouldn’t the new consoles etc

12 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Yes I agree that it makes hardly any tangible difference but incremental changes makes everything better. If you had a capable router and the old iPhone can connect why shouldn’t the new consoles etc

For anyone who cares, it’s probably an argument for getting an S and waiting for an X Pro, but realistically anyone who cares isn’t using Wi-fi. 

I think Microsoft have probably made the sensible choice, but I’m still surprised they didn’t include them all just for the sake of saying they have. 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Sorry to ruin the hype, guys, but have you seen these specs?

:unsure:

Fair play to Sony, as for all the premium chat for the series X, it should have these newer standards in place.

8 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I realised I had never actually read through the BC list before, there are some properly brilliant titles in there! 

I'm thinking I may treat myself and buy up a few oldy but goodies on digital to enjoy on a shiny new S. It will basically just become a modern 360 + GamePass :) 

I had the opposite reaction unfortunately. Realised there was no Outrun, Rez, Ridge Racer, Afterburner or Street Fighter 3 and basically put me off a Series S. :(

Decided to just order a new power supply for my 360. 

Big case of YMMV but hopefully they get the program up and running again or maybe the publishers need to play ball more? SEGA in particular.

30 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Realised there was no Outrun, Rez, Ridge Racer, Afterburner or Street Fighter 3

Don't get me wrong there are definitely some big gaps in it. It's just that there is just a much better selection than I had realised and I might dip my toe into a few again.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 Nov