Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 Nov

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

It has 8/9 of the ram and assets need 1/4 of the space. It’s fine.

You know they’re talking about Xbox One games running on the Series S, right?

No one is saying Series S games won’t look fine. Just that for back compatibility it might play One S versions rather than One X. 

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

You know they’re talking about Xbox One games running on the Series S, right?

No one is saying Series S games won’t look fine. Just that for back compatibility it might play One S versions rather than One X. 

That’s a false distinction though. It’s a new version.

8 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

But they're not, really, are they? There's loads of games on Xbox One X which are not 4K, they're just much better than the base Xbox One version.

X Enhanced games can have higher resolutions, higher framerates, or improved textures. Only one of them is really relevant for the Series S.

13 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

X Enhanced games can have higher resolutions, higher framerates, or improved textures. Only one of them is really relevant for the Series S.

Why? Loads of Xbox One S games are sub HD and run awfully. I don’t see why all of those things wouldn’t be relevant. 

Do you think One X games which run at 1440p have “4K textures?”

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

They showed Gears 5 running on the S in 120fps with all of the PC Ultra upgrades, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

They showed Gears 5 running on the S in 120fps with all of the PC Ultra upgrades, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

It's not that complicated. I'm not saying that the Series S isn't powerful - it's probably more powerful than the Xbox One X, on balance.

It runs Gears 5 brilliantly, because they've gone back and made a version for Series S. What about Xbox One games which don't receive a patch or Smart Delivery version, though? How do you get that One X version to run on a system that has less RAM, without patching it to compensate for that in some way?

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

Xbox One games might not have the same tweakable emulation layer as original Xbox or 360 games

I thought it was exactly the same? Hence the BC team enhancing games on the Series even further with enhancements that the One S/X couldn't handle?

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What do you mean? Do you think someone is going to go back and patch Dark Souls Remastered and every other old game for Series S?

Someone? No. It can be entirely automated. You’ve only got to replace one texture with one from the other edition. 

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

How do you get that One X version to run on a system that has less RAM, without patching it to compensate for that in some way?

Sampler Feedback Streaming means the next-gen version will use less RAM inherently because the new architecture is able to only load only the lower-res part of the image for low-res textures on distant objects, rather than having to load the whole image as current-gen consoles have to do (and with 4K, it grows to be a bloody big image).

EdEwcebWoAweMGc?format=jpg&name=900x900

They showed this with their tech demo where with SFS it was using less than half the RAM of without.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

Sampler Feedback Streaming means the next-gen version will use less RAM inherently because the new architecture is able to only load only the lower-res part of the image for low-res textures on distant objects, rather than having to load the whole image as current-gen consoles have to do (and with 4K, it grows to be a bloody big image).

EdEwcebWoAweMGc?format=jpg&name=900x900

They showed this with their tech demo where with SFS it was using less than half the RAM of without.

Does this definitely apply to games running in backwards compat mode?

No idea, but the back compatible mode still runs on the new architecture, doesn't it? There's no separate chip there.

(There's also the point that most games are barely scraping the current gen RAM usage, when Nvidia launched their new cards they barely incremented it, because the actual amounts modern games use when running is still around 2-5GB, regardless of what it says on the back of the box)

Microsoft have literally just confirmed the Series S won't run the One X editions but will still get improvements to framerate etc. But notably, no talk of resolution improvements which I do think is kind of important when many One S versions of multiplats were running at 900p or less. But still, if you're buying the Series S because you're fine with 1080p it's arguable whether you'd care about One S games running at 900p either.

Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

No people aren't assuming that, they're just taking out the bit MS have no control over.  It's not fair to compare anything except pre-tax pricing.

It depends if you're talking from MS's or the consumer's POV. I agree that MS are 'being nice' or however you want to call it by eating some profit, or more likely increasing the loss, in the UK to keep the price down but, from our POV we are paying more money to get one than a consumer in the US is. 

Saying that the UK is getting the best deal is a bit misleading - we're not, but it's not dues to MS, it's VAT and they are giving us perhaps the best price in terms of what they're getting.

16 minutes ago, Rev said:

Someone? No. It can be entirely automated. You’ve only got to replace one texture with one from the other edition. 

Well we don’t know how simple it is yet because every game “enhanced for Xbox One X” is patched by the developer so how they use the extra power is up to them. Obviously for Series X this isn’t a problem because it has more RAM and a much beefier GPU, so it’s just a brute force solution, whereas Series S has less RAM and a weaker GPU, so it’s not clear whether each game would need to be patched individually or whether there is something they can do that makes them all work via a fix all patch. We just don’t know yet, but it’s not as if it’s a controversial opinion, even Digital Foundry voiced the same concerns, for example. 

3 hours ago, Pockets said:

This is just based on NYC tax rates and it can vary a lot.

We pay 1% more in my city than in our neighbouring city. The two border each other, and I can be at the city limit in 10 minutes' drive.

I imagine someone has done a very in-depth look at the power of each currency, general socioeconomic position of typical buyers, shipping logistics and all sorts to fret about price A versus price B, mind.

23 minutes ago, Majora said:

Microsoft have literally just confirmed the Series S won't run the One X editions but will still get improvements to framerate etc. But notably, no talk of resolution improvements which I do think is kind of important when many One S versions of multiplats were running at 900p or less.

Someone should let them know that it can be entirely automated.

24 minutes ago, Majora said:

Microsoft have literally just confirmed the Series S won't run the One X editions but will still get improvements to framerate etc. But notably, no talk of resolution improvements which I do think is kind of important when many One S versions of multiplats were running at 900p or less. But still, if you're buying the Series S because you're fine with 1080p it's arguable whether you'd care about One S games running at 900p either.

This has helped me decided to get the x then. I have the base bone and some stuff really looks grimy as fuck on it even compared to base ps4. 

As a side note, I don't think the Series S is a 1080p console at all - at least not intentionally. It's first and foremost a cheap Xbox, and after that, it's as much of a 4K console as the PS4 Pro. It doesn't make sense to target 1440p at all - no one has a 1440p TV. It's specifically chosen because it scales well to 4K.

@deerokus Depending on the games you're interested, you might want to check that they actually have One X patches. Lots do these days, but I've played through a few games recently that looks pretty nasty on the One X thanks to no patch.

So, if I play Forza Horizon 4 on the S will it run at 60 frames automatically? The X upgrade lets you choose between 4k or 60 frames and seeing as it won't need the 4k textures will the 60 frames be possible because of the natural power increase or is the 60 frames ability pushed because of the X enhancement?

The other notable performance increase was with the first Surge game, on my One S it wavered between 20some and 30 frames but on the One X it was 60 frames, pretty sure without an X specific upgrade. So the Series S should do that too.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - Power Your Dreams on 10 Nov