Xbox Series X | S - 3 weeks to go!

30 minutes ago, S0L said:

As a cheap NextGen box for folks with 1080p TV's, that's one hell of a price. 

This is me. I don’t have any previous Xbox, and my current consoles are a Switch and PS4 Slim, both on a 1080 telly. I realise I’m not in the cutting edge of technology demographic but that’s why the S seems perfect for me. The X is for those who are. The genius move here is that we can all play the same games and all be happy with our purchases.

• Upvote 8

So what are the chances MS announce some new games next week? Based on what Phil Spencer tweeted out regarding the release announcement it seems like that was planned for next week. I'm hoping they had some game announcements also planned so what are the chances we see them next week? 

Or do they do hold back now until Sony reveal the PS5 price? 

I'd originally planned to trade in my One X for a Series X but the recent announcements made me think that the One X would crumble in value. Nope. Just got £180 for it which is pretty decent for a console I've barely played this year. The realisation that I've hardly touched it (basically played Neon Abyss and some BFV) has also made me question my day one XSX purchase, and so I'll see what November brings. Apart from Tetris Effect, which I already own, the launch games don't interest me at all at this point. I would have gone for AC: Valhalla but not any more. Even Cyberpunk seems unappealing with a proper next-gen version not coming til next year. I'd rather wait for the full fat experience. 

I think I’m settling on Series X via All Access, probably on launch. PS5 I can probably wait for a deal and/or a must-have title.

I got a 4K OLED during lockdown with an eye on the next gen so I really do want something shiny to show it all off and Microsoft absolutely killed it this week. 

Edit - of course that’s all dependent on what Sony do over the next month! 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

So could I transfer all my games to usb drive, sell my One X and then plug the drive into a Series X when it launches and be ready to go?

Very tempting to sell if that's the case!

Yep, that's exactly what I'll be doing. Have all my stuff in a big external drive already. Obviously you need to transfer games over to the internal Series X HDD to play them, but that isn't much of an issue. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I don't wish to play any Xbox One games on a new machine whatsoever. The last couple of years of gaming has been boring.
Well, you might roll your eyes/face at that i suppose :)

It's certainly an interesting take in a "next gen games console thread". Well worth the effort of typing.

• Upvote 2
Just now, petrolgirls said:

I'm not sure you will, at least not for Xbox one games. 

Ah yeah, of course! Though maybe if you want to make use of the quick start feature you might have to? 

21 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Ah yeah, of course! Though maybe if you want to make use of the quick start feature you might have to? 

That's essentially dumping the contents of RAM to the SSD, so I don't think the game itself running off an external HDD should matter.

I suspect people aren't going to want to go back to traditional load times once they've gotten used to running games off an internal SSD, mind.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Marlew said:

I'd originally planned to trade in my One X for a Series X but the recent announcements made me think that the One X would crumble in value. Nope. Just got £180 for it which is pretty decent for a console I've barely played this year. 

Where did you sell it, out of interest?

CEX are probably just putting a bet on that there will be limited stock. It’s never been an unreasonable bet, but it does feel like that will be less likely this time. The parts are less exotic. 

On 11/09/2020 at 15:20, pinholestar said:

Quite the opposite. For some reason the UK is getting the best deal of the lot.

Microsoft have been giving UK gamers a reach-around for generations, so it's just a continuation of their existing pricing policies.

As the UK remains their largest market outside of their homeland, it would certainly pay for them to keep this country sweet.

Some screenshots that are apparently from Series S gameplay here

"Note: these are compressed from youtube (1080p video), then compressed again via twitter, so image quality likely took a big hit, even at 1440p/1080p, these will look better in person (as always)."

:

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Microsoft have been giving UK gamers a reach-around for generations, so it's just a continuation of their existing pricing policies.

As the UK remains their largest market outside of their homeland, it would certainly pay for them to keep this country sweet.

Would make sense. I’m just surprised they went with such a favourable currency conversion considering the parlous state of sterling and the impending economic Armageddon from a no-deal Brexit on the horizon. Was fully expecting a 1:1 conversion from $ to £. Really hope Sony follow suit, whichever price they decide on.

On 11/09/2020 at 11:05, tobert said:

I wonder if MS will tighten up on pricing next gen, you offer stonking deals early on to attract people and build the service service but, once its becomes established, then  I would imagine they will look to maximum earngins. For example things like netflix or spotify don't see big discounts unless you were a new subscriber or its bundled with something else like a phone contract.

The people I know who use those services do so via 'grey market' workarounds. If those weren't available, it would be interesting to see how many people are actually willing to pay the UK SRP for things, or maybe the sort of people I know are the exceptions, rather than the norm.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The entire press briefing video for the Series S that they planned to send to journalists has now also leaked, not that it matters because they've gone ahead and revealed the information anyway.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-12-microsofts-xbox-series-s-virtual-press-briefing-leaks-online

You beat me by 2 minutes.  Watching it now, I'm not sure either of the people in part 2 have ever played a video game in their lives and I can't imagine them passing a controller to the next player then reaching for a handful of Doritos and a can of Mountain Dew.  I stopped after part 2 because it just feels like a load of waffle.  I need to see this in action and YouTube video quality on my 1080p TV is making all next get look like current gen to me.

2 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Would make sense. I’m just surprised they went with such a favourable currency conversion considering the parlous state of sterling and the impending economic Armageddon from a no-deal Brexit on the horizon. Was fully expecting a 1:1 conversion from $ to £. Really hope Sony follow suit, whichever price they decide on.

Shhh they might read it and change their minds 

47 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Shhh they might read it and change their minds 

I’d not thought about a $499 PS5 translating to a £549 PS5 (got to cover that potential currency drop to parity).

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 3 weeks to go!