Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov

There's a few games I'll be redownloading for the new Series X shiny like Forza Horizon 4. I didn't finish Gears 5 so will be diving back into that also. My short attention span means I like to nip in and out of different games and yeah, I'm blessed to have the spare time. :)

Bit annoyed at Avengers not getting the SX patch, if ever. I was waiting on it so I could finish it but now I'll just get on with it and sell on.

Just having a think and I’ll probably have this lot on my drive for launch...

Forza Horizon 4

Destiny 2

Halo: MCC

Gears 5

Ori

and a few other indies off Gamepass 

Then Cyberpunk the week after.

I wonder how much that lot totals.

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

Just having a think and I’ll probably have this lot on my drive for launch...

Forza Horizon 4

Destiny 2

Halo: MCC

Gears 5

Ori

and a few other indies off Gamepass 

Then Cyberpunk the week after.

I wonder how much that lot totals.

FH4 - 75GB

Destiny 2 - 109GB

Halo MCC - 121GB

Gears 5 - 76GB

Ori - 9GB

They may be larger on the Series X will added shiny things. Cyberpunk must be pushing 100GB surely?

1 minute ago, Wallace said:

FH4 - 75GB

Destiny 2 - 109GB

Halo MCC - 121GB

Gears 5 - 76GB

Ori - 9GB

They may be larger on the Series X will added shiny things. Cyberpunk must be pushing 100GB surely?

Yeah, you’d think Cyberpunk would be around that size. I might need a drive sooner than I anticipated.

24 minutes ago, Wallace said:

FH4 - 75GB

Destiny 2 - 109GB

Halo MCC - 121GB

Gears 5 - 76GB

Ori - 9GB

Desinty will be smaller because of the squish and the Series version isn't out until the 8th December. As for Gears and FH4 I'd think they'll go up because of all new shininess. 

Remember how you’d see all those 360 20gb HDDs, and later the 120 ones, in cash converters and Cex etc? 

I can see a load of these 1tb cards sitting there with £120 stickers on them, having proven themselves useless but too expensive to really shift for less. The new version in stores will be 5tb for about £150 or less by then. 

It might be a dull, shitty thing to have a premonition about, but it’s clear and vivid. 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Gears 5 is getting raytracing as well as a framerate boost, which I didn't realise. 

Ignore the dig in the tweet there, but the comparison shows that the Series version looks to outperform the pc version (I assume they'll port it across). 

The Coalition don't get enough respect for their tech prowess, imo, it'd be nice if they got to make something other than Gears. 

Its actually just SSR (follow the tweet back), and it doesn't "outperform" the PC, as the insane setting is designed to look like that, its supposed to look like a reflection on a surface, not a mirror.

This starts from the bit about SSR, and you can see it looks more like the ultra/high mode, which is still a massive improvement over the one X's superlow version!

With usb storage, possibly this is something noone can yet answer but can you daisy chain more than one? Perhaps via a hub? 

As I have a spare USB ssd, which is only a terabyte but I also have a 6TB magnetic drive that I could pop in. But I wouldn't want to play games from it, as that seems too slow. Using both types, with the latter for archival could be nice to do. I'm guessing not though, and it's probably not a big deal. 

4 minutes ago, cowfields said:

With usb storage, possibly this is something noone can yet answer but can you daisy chain more than one? Perhaps via a hub? 

As I have a spare USB ssd, which is only a terabyte but I also have a 6TB magnetic drive that I could pop in. But I wouldn't want to play games from it, as that seems too slow. Using both types, with the latter for archival could be nice to do. I'm guessing not though, and it's probably not a big deal. 

The console has 3 USB ports so just plug them both in?

@cowfieldsThe SSD would still be too slow to play any Series games from, but it’d be fine for archiving. But seeing as you’ve got the 6tb, I don’t think there’s much point in it. Unless you mean it’d be a bit quicker for BC games?

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

@cowfieldsThe SSD would still be too slow to play any Series games from, but it’d be fine for archiving.

I thought (but could easily be wrong) that on the DF video they showed that the Samsung SSD was right up there speed wise? 

1 minute ago, womble9 said:

I thought (but could easily be wrong) that on the DF video they showed that the Samsung SSD was right up there speed wise? 

Not sure. I thought the bottleneck was the USB connection? 

Guys what will I need at launch and what’s it going to cost me so I can make sure I have the money aside, I’d like to pay for a years worth of Gold and a years worth of GamePass, before the console launches if poss

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not sure. I thought the bottleneck was the USB connection? 

He said that so long as you have the right bridge adapter (it that the right name? The cable connector thingy) it’s fine. Gonna double check as can get a good 2TB SSD for far less than two of the 1TB cards. 

8 minutes ago, womble9 said:

He said that so long as you have the right bridge adapter (it that the right name? The cable connector thingy) it’s fine. Gonna double check as can get a good 2TB SSD for far less than two of the 1TB cards. 

NO, its ONLY FOR legacy games, NOT series games

15 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Guys what will I need at launch and what’s it going to cost me so I can make sure I have the money aside, I’d like to pay for a years worth of Gold and a years worth of GamePass, before the console launches if poss

honestly not sure if serious, but, if so, go to the first post of this thread, as there is a short guide for how to get gamepass ultimate (which is live plus gamepass).

The best option is to buy 3 years of live, add it to you account, then convert, so, about £150 ish, for 3 years.

17 minutes ago, womble9 said:

The comparison was between different options for playing BC games, and it showed that a fast external SSD is more or less as good as the expensive branded expansion SSD for those games. But that’s with the caveat that none of those games use the “velocity engine” or whatever it’s called, so it’s simply a matter of how fast the game loads up and how fast levels, textures etc. load in. It doesn’t mean a generic external SSD is fast enough for Series-specific games though - they simply won’t run from anything other than the internal drive or official expansion.

53 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I recently used a USB hub when moving games across 3 USB drives and it worked just fine.

Yeah to clarify the point above, I see something in having 2 hard drives:

a USB 1TB SSD to install all 360 and Xbox One games that aren't Series enhanced. 

a USB 6TB hard drive for purely archiving anything that needs archiving.

This is all based on the fact that I just have these hard drives available in the house already. I'm not suggesting anyone makes the investment for this set up. I don't know why I imagined there was only 1 USB port on the back, so if they both connect, great. But on that video posted a while back, the painful load times of a mechanical hard drive make me feel like it's only going to be good for archival.

I think realistically I'll only have 2 or 3 Series X games installed early on, but I can see myself installing a LOT of old game pass games that I never played, seeing as I never had a One or a 360. Unless the devs go crazy, decide to do some series X patching on literally everything, and all of a sudden they enforce a restriction to the internal hard drive.

That might see me caving on an expansion sooner than anticipated, but I don't think it's likely. I'm curious at what point the OS decides that it is officially a  "Series X" game in such a way it restricts where you can install it. 

I mean, for example:

If the devs don't touch the velocity storage in the code, but just unlock the framerate. Small patch, but one that only applies to Series consoles, is it then suddenly not playable from the USB drives?

1 hour ago, Darren said:

The comparison was between different options for playing BC games, and it showed that a fast external SSD is more or less as good as the expensive branded expansion SSD for those games. But that’s with the caveat that none of those games use the “velocity engine” or whatever it’s called, so it’s simply a matter of how fast the game loads up and how fast levels, textures etc. load in. It doesn’t mean a generic external SSD is fast enough for Series-specific games though - they simply won’t run from anything other than the internal drive or official expansion.

Ah yes, now you mention it, it was indeed the BC side of it they were on about. Bugger! 

1 hour ago, multi said:

Ooh, bit of a co-oincidence but I got one of those on Saturday. It's quite nice. Even my wife likes it and she's normally very difficult to keep happy. Still need to sort out some of the cabling though but very happy with our purchase.

PXL_20201018_145859555.jpg

I should add though, that I am a total KING of flatpack furniture assembly, but this one was quite a challenge to be honest, lots of opportunities to fuck it up if you don't read the instructions properly.

Lovely looking setup you've got there :).

I'd happily go for one of the benches myself but sadly it's nowhere near deep enough (and if it were I'd probably then think it jutted out too much anyway) for my Yamaha receiver. 

14 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I've got an 8TB on my One X. I've got about 600 games installed. :unsure:

At one point, I was uninstalling old games because when they updated I had effectively wasted some of my monthly data cap. And then eventually just turned off auto updating. Now I pay a fortune to have enough data not to care! Until I start getting 4k games. 

I think data caps might be the greatest modern con ever. Probably since charging for text messages. 

Which makes me wonder. Okay, so digital is the future. And beyond that apparently streaming is the future. But how does that work with one of the biggest markets also being the most ass-backwards when it comes to internet?

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov