Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov

6 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

A small word of caution for you.  At my last house, I could only accommodate a PS4 Pro and X1X by placing them behind the TV as you’re proposing.  It did dramatically reduce controller range and (in my specific case) made accessing the disc drives a pain in the ass.  Hopefully you’ll be fine on both counts. 8-)

Huh, never thought about that. Couch is about 8 feet away, will they be ok? Like, if your legs are touching the couch, Kinect says you're in the right spot to play (i.e. a bit useless). 

The 360 era games are still getting upgrades.  Maybe they are not games you want to play every day but it's nice to have them on hand.  Also they are pretty much guaranteed to look better than ever before because of your current set up and I assume  the BC programme ensures they have been thoroughly tested.   This seems to me to be a major selling point.  

I'm going for the Series S as it's going to be a sort of second console to my primary PS5.

I intend to use it purely as a Game Pass machine, which should work out quite well as I'll be able to catch up on any Xbone stuff I missed out on due to never owning one (the offering there is quite slim for my tastes to be honest, but there's a few things I'm interested in playing) and all the forthcoming MS first party stuff over the next few years.

It'll also become my new Destiny machine too, seeing as the game and all expansions will be on Game Pass and Bungie now offer cross save, so I'll be able to transfer all my years of progress and gear across from my PS4 account. That alone will save me having to buy the expansions separately so I'm up £35 before I even start.

PS5 as my main gaming feast for Sony first-party and any big third-party games I want to play and then a Series S with Game Pass to fill in the gaps between those releases. I love it when a plan comes together. *chef's kiss*

The way I see it is that if you have a 4k TV or are in the market for a 4k TV go for the X. Even if you're going all digital the X just seems a better option.

My reasoning for the S is I'm not in for 4k, I don't give a fuck about disc games, but I'm considering a Series S because of the upgraded versions of current gen games and, tragically, a 60 frames Destiny 2 machine.

I have no idea what's wrong with me.

6 hours ago, TehStu said:

Huh, never thought about that. Couch is about 8 feet away, will they be ok? Like, if your legs are touching the couch, Kinect says you're in the right spot to play (i.e. a bit useless). 

You’ll probably have to wait and see to know exactly but I’d say 8ft was about where I sat and was fine most of the time.  I’m sure other variables play a part like the type of TV, distance between TV and console etc.  You could perhaps test with a console you already have now?

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

So are people going for the S over the X? I'm tempted but know if I go S il instantly wish I got the more powerful X. 

My plan is pretty much identical to @pinholestar... PS5 will be my main console replacing my PS4, and probably a Series S (but not at launch) replacing my OG XBox One as chiefly a GamePass/360 box.

I’m then planning on putting the current Xbox in the lounge (instead of the play room where the 4K is) as blu-ray player and something I can do a few indie games on if the other TV is being used by the family, and the PS4 is going up into my office so I can play Squadrons/Elite more easily with the HOTAS on the desk.

A plan is coming together nicely :sherlock:

1 hour ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

You’ll probably have to wait and see to know exactly but I’d say 8ft was about where I sat and was fine most of the time.  I’m sure other variables play a part like the type of TV, distance between TV and console etc.  You could perhaps test with a console you already have now?

Good point. Think that would be awkward, so we'll suck it and see come Nov 10. I mean at worst, I can just about fit it in sideways on the open soundbar shelf under the TV. Not ideal, but still. 

This is my plan also! Series S at launch as a Gamepass machine to hoover up multiplatform stuff Im somewhat interested in, Xbox exclusives etc, a PS5 later down the line for Sony exclusives and stuff I'm really excited about.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-this-is-how-xbox-series-s-back-compat-really-works

This is pretty much the news I've been waiting for:

:omg:

It does say 'select' but I can't see any reason why it's not a simple thing for the devs to push, the article says as much. Depends if a) they can be arsed and b) if they're still able to do so as in they're still in work. Its abated my worries a little.

That’s great news. 1440p 360 games is pretty much the best you can hope for. 

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

I phrased it as a question because I only think it's a valid enough reason.

If you've already got a One X, and your reason for upgrading to a Series S/X is for back compat, then surely a Series S is the one to go for given the back compat games won't be in 4K. Maybe I'm not following correctly... 

17 hours ago, TehStu said:

For the whole of this gen, my Xbox One and PS4 lived in a large under-stairs cupboard, separated from the lounge by 20-30cm of double-brick and plaster. I never had any issue with wireless controller reception. I imagine you're only really likely to have controller reception issues with the consoles located behind the TV if something else is causing interference.

I am also in on THE PLAN.

I'm kinda hoping that by the time I get to the PS5 there will have been a redesign too, but I think that might be a bit ambitious. 

Getting rather excited! I spent a happy half hour yestersay drawing up a list of the Game Pass stuff I want to play and the bits in my digital 360 library that I'm eager to revisit and are on the backwards compatible list. I can almost see the eyeroll from my wife now as she sees I'm swearing at Geometry Wars again on my fancy new machine :wub:

9 hours ago, Wallace said:

then surely a Series S is the one to go for given the back compat games won't be in 4K. Maybe I'm not following correctly... 

You're not. BC on the X will be 4K. Re-read the article.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I imagine you're only really likely to have controller reception issues with the consoles located behind the TV if something else is causing interference.

Like all the shit going on inside the TV?

9 hours ago, Wallace said:

If you've already got a One X, and your reason for upgrading to a Series S/X is for back compat, then surely a Series S is the one to go for given the back compat games won't be in 4K. Maybe I'm not following correctly... 

Plenty of games on Xbox One X are 4k, as they'll be on Xbox Series X, but not S.

1 minute ago, scoobysi said:

I’ve not had an XBOX since the 360 and was wondering about an S. I have these discs (and others) but am I right in thinking the only one that is backwards compatible is Split/Second? Looking here https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

NFS Hot Pursuit

NFS Most Wanted

PGR4

Sega Rally

Split/Second

Yep, none of the others will work.

It’s a bit odd that some of the Xbox 1 games which are BC on 360, don’t work on Xbox One. 

It’d be nice if they got it working so I don’t have to worry about our 360 breaking, but I suspect the number of people who want to play Justice League Heroes still is pretty small.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov