Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov

3 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

@PobI suppose because it's a pissing contents. Can you imagine what the Internet would have been like if they had both gone with 1440p consoles. They would have been laughed out of town consider their two top spec current gen machines are touted as 4k. No one would have cared what other benefits they brought to the table.

For MS, I guess as they crowed about 4K so much with the XB1X. PS Pro owners are used to resolutions around the 1440 mark. I understand the existence of a premium option - and I'm glad it exists - but after yesterday's announcement it suddenly looks like Sony don't have a mainstream option.

I just didn't think it'd be possible to have the same games on a £250 machine at 1440p. I guess it remains to be seen if the games are gimped in other ways.

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Discs still make up 50+% of console game sales so it’s not really just niche communities of no lifers or whatever. 

50%+ of sales of games that release on disc surely? Which doesn’t include the revenue generated by transactions in free to play games. A huge percentage of people are just playing Fortnite and Minecraft, and I doubt very much that the disc versions of those games account for 50% of their sales, if they’re even doing disc versions of them anymore. Plus that percentage reliably declines every single time figures are released.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

I just didn't think it'd be possible to have the same games on a £250 machine at 1440p.

My guess is that's it's (mostly) not. Yes, it can do 1440p and 120fps. But whether it'll do that for (say) Halo Infinite is a different question. I assume it's going to be much more common for it to be rendering at 1080p. Maybe you'll get to choose 1080/60 or 1440/30 or whatever.

On the other hand, as you say, the PS4 Pro is essentially a 1440p box. Maybe it is possible! It certainly makes the higher end boxes look ridiculous if so.

Not sure if this has been posted already - not got time to read through 24 pages...

MS have certainly put the squeeze on Sony with this price point - currently Series S is the same price as a base PS4 and £100 Cheaper than the PS4 Pro. With that in mind where does Sony go with the prices of last gen consoles?

PS4 £189

PS4 Pro £229 a 4 Tflop machine 1TB HDD on paper to a casual might seem like better value than the Series S but technically it's not in the same league) 

PS5 Digital - £349 (I suspect it will be £399 though with a 512GB £349 version released next year if Series S does well)

PS5 Disk - £449

MS on the overhand can firesale the Xbox 1X and Xbox 1 clear the inventory and move on

Xbox 1S currently retails or £249 - could see if go as low as £149

Xbox 1X is harder to drop currently it's about £399, £299 is going to be a tough sell with the Series S at £249 MS will take a loss on this and go at £199.

I'm pleased MS have been so aggressive on price though it was looking like PS5 would win this gen hands down, now Sony potentially have competition. Shame a Fortnite 120FPS edition Series S is a contradiction to it's market position (low end TVs) otherwise they would have a serious hit. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Sony directors meetings right now!

17 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

You're  right, I'm sorry @Jg15, but given that we've had discless consoles for a while now and most people under... 55? Are used to the idea of downloadable content. Physical media sales are dropping every year, etc. I don't think even the daily mail would run the story,  if they could find someone outraged by it. 

I didn't express that as nicely as I should have.

Yeah, I get that, I just think this sudden shift to digital only will catch some people out. I have plenty of colleagues and friends who are casuals that dont purchase digitally and still buy discs but that maybe because of the digital store prices. 

Personally I am a digital convert, although more from a "scour the weekly sales" and not purchasing a game at £60. Therefore the option of having a console with a disc drive is always appealing to me.

So tempted by this as I think it looks awesome and the lower resolution doesn’t bother me. But the lack of launch games is a problem. I’ve been a PS4 player this gen and I don’t see many Xbox One exclusives I could play to make up for that. Maybe Forza but I dunno.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

My guess is that's it's (mostly) not. Yes, it can do 1440p and 120fps. But whether it'll do that for (say) Halo Infinite is a different question. I assume it's going to be much more common for it to be rendering at 1080p. Maybe you'll get to choose 1080/60 or 1440/30 or whatever.

On the other hand, as you say, the PS4 Pro is essentially a 1440p box. Maybe it is possible! It certainly makes the higher end boxes look ridiculous if so.

Pro has a disc drive too - and can do Raytracing... Not sure it can compete with the new CPU GPU combo of the Series S despite similar TFLOPS. Which is curious as it undermines the TFLOP argument altogether. PS4 Pro VS Series S - both 4 TFLOPS but the Series S is better. 

I'm not looking to make an argument at that the One X/PS4 Pro are in any way equivalent to the Series S, that wasn't the intended point of my post. Just that maybe I'm wrong and you can perhaps do more with £250 of Xbox than I wrote.

7 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

So come November am I gonna be able to play Outrun Online and Afterburner that I bought back in the 360 days?

If they don't run on Xbox One they won't run on Xbox Series.

30 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Discs still make up 50+% of console game sales so it’s not really just niche communities of no lifers or whatever. 

Don't thinks so, at least not in the UK - here's an article from 18 months ago talking about how 80% of game sales are digital. Covid will have only skewed that number even further in favour of digital.

Edit: on closer inspection that sounds more like 80% of revenue which includes DLC etc - even then, I'd be very surprised if game sales alone are anything like a 50/50 split these days.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The main reason I'd still get a Series X is because I'd hope that 60fps modes are more prevalent. I'd always take 60/1440 over 30/2160, and those options are much more likely on the Series X. Or are they? The talk always seems more focused around resolution than frame-rate, annoyingly!

1 minute ago, petrolgirls said:

Don't thinks so, at least not in the UK - here's an article from 18 months ago talking about how 80% of game sales are digital. Covid will have only skewed that number even further in favour of digital.

That article is terribly headlined and misleadingly started. It's 80% of game revenue being digital, but that includes all the microtransations, battle passes etc. Sales themselves are a little more even.

Just now, Uncle Mike said:

That article is terribly headlined and misleadingly started. It's 80% of game revenue being digital, but that includes all the microtransations, battle passes etc. Sales themselves are a little more even.

You're right, I'd already edited my post to reflect that.

11 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

the option of having a console with a disc drive is always appealing to me

Same here, more options is better as far as I'm concerned. 

I still think times have changed more than these threads give credit for and that a lot

of the time the concern for the technically illiterate comes from a different place than it might initially seem. I'm not suggesting you were doing such a thing, but that informed my reaction (also my reply to @teddymeow yesterday) and I'm sorry. 

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

Unless we get some sort of HDD archive function, I suspect that folk with huge libraries are going to be inconvenienced quite a bit this gen.

We are. Micorosft have said multiple times you can move your Series games onto an external drive to save space on your internal, and just move them back over when you want to play. 

51 minutes ago, Broker said:

The death of most high street retailers that rely on disc sales and constant figures showing that digital is gaining in popularity every month suggest otherwise, as does the increased frequency of devices without disc drives being released. There’s still people buying discs, especially in niche communities like this, but they’re clearly declining in popularity constantly, which isn’t a trend I can see being reversed anytime soon. They’re only really important now to people who want to play a lot more games than the average user does, and for movies it’s even more pronounced.

Yeah. I think the generation after the XSX/PS5 will do away with a disc drive*. 

*Could be a load of bollocks but I’m putting it out there anyway. 

I don't think I would get a Series S got too many 360, OG Xbox game discs I'd like to play, So it's an Xbox One X or a Series X for me, but I'll wait on Halo. Let's face it the Series S isn't really for the core gamers unless it's your second console next your PS5.

12 minutes ago, DumbMagician said:

So tempted by this as I think it looks awesome and the lower resolution doesn’t bother me. But the lack of launch games is a problem. I’ve been a PS4 player this gen and I don’t see many Xbox One exclusives I could play to make up for that. Maybe Forza but I dunno.

If it helps here is a list of exclusives that are available on Gamepass that are worth playing:

Gears 4

Gears 5

Ryse

Halo MCC (all Halo games up to 4, including Reach)

Halo 5

Sunset Overdrive

Forza Horizon 4

Tell Me Why

Crackdown 3

Quantum Break

ReCore

Both Ori games.

There are more but these were off the top of my head.

22 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Not sure if this has been posted already - not got time to read through 24 pages...

MS have certainly put the squeeze on Sony with this price point - currently Series S is the same price as a base PS4 and £100 Cheaper than the PS4 Pro. With that in mind where does Sony go with the prices of last gen consoles?

PS4 £189

PS4 Pro £229 a 4 Tflop machine 1TB HDD on paper to a casual might seem like better value than the Series S but technically it's not in the same league) 

PS5 Digital - £349 (I suspect it will be £399 though with a 512GB £349 version released next year if Series S does well)

PS5 Disk - £449

MS on the overhand can firesale the Xbox 1X and Xbox 1 clear the inventory and move on

Xbox 1S currently retails or £249 - could see if go as low as £149

Xbox 1X is harder to drop currently it's about £399, £299 is going to be a tough sell with the Series S at £249 MS will take a loss on this and go at £199.

I'm pleased MS have been so aggressive on price though it was looking like PS5 would win this gen hands down, now Sony potentially have competition. Shame a Fortnite 120FPS edition Series S is a contradiction to it's market position (low end TVs) otherwise they would have a serious hit. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Sony directors meetings right now!

I’m confident Microsoft will indeed firesale their current consoles and be out of old inventory very quickly. 

1 minute ago, Ethers said:

I’m confident Microsoft will indeed firesale their current consoles and be out of old inventory very quickly. 

Considering they were recently selling Microsoft refurbished 1X consoles for £180 on Amazon, I reckon it's exactly what they intend to do. 

I really think anyone expecting the Series S to be a Series X without a disk drive that plays next-gen games identically but at 1080p (let alone 1440p) is going to end up being disappointed.

We'll see.

7 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

We are. Micorosft have said multiple times you can move your Series games onto an external drive to save space on your internal, and just move them back over when you want to play. 

And that'll be pretty essential pretty quickly for the S. In fact it's what'll make it viable.

3 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

If it helps here is a list of exclusives that are available on Gamepass that are worth playing:

Gears 4

Gears 5

Ryse

Halo MCC (all Halo games up to 4, including Reach)

Halo 5

Sunset Overdrive

Forza Horizon 4

Tell Me Why

Crackdown 3

Quantum Break

ReCore

Both Ori games.

There are more but these were off the top of my head.

Thank you but Forza is the only tempting title on that list. 

Is there a big third-party next gen exclusive game on the horizon? I can't think of any.

When one does come along, though, the only way to play it for a reasonable outlay will be on a Series S.

Just now, Halo said:

I really think anyone expecting the Series S to be a Series X without a disk drive that plays next-gen games identically but at 1080p (let alone 1440p) then you're going to end up being disappointed.

We'll see.

I'm not sure they will be at launch, especially when MS published games will still be trying to run on a One X, but in the middle of a generation there's going to start to be things.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

I'm not sure they will be at launch, especially when MS published games will still be trying to run on a One X, but in the middle of a generation there's going to start to be things.

By that point you might be able to upgrade to a discless verison of the Series X for £250 though.

34 minutes ago, Broker said:

50%+ of sales of games that release on disc surely? Which doesn’t include the revenue generated by transactions in free to play games. A huge percentage of people are just playing Fortnite and Minecraft, and I doubt very much that the disc versions of those games account for 50% of their sales, if they’re even doing disc versions of them anymore. Plus that percentage reliably declines every single time figures are released.

You’re moving the goalposts. You said discs are niche. When games are selling 20+ million on release and 100million over the course of their lifespans and some chunk (let’s call it 40%) is physical, it’s not niche and not just nerds on forums who want discs. 

Yeah, it was hitting it occasionally to be fair, notable 4 of those 10 have caveats.

I guess what I'd say is, don't expect that to be norm on S, although in reality if that makes 1440P60 the norm it's a good result.

I guess we won't know until it's out but I'm assuming this thing is going to be noisy as hell to get all that heat out as quickly as possible. Unless the sheer size of vents negates that but the size difference to the X is staggering. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Xbox Series S - £249 - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S - 10 Nov