Paradise Killer - Pseudo Suda meets Ace Attorney meets Miami Vice

So, this is a weird one. A Suda style - 80's neon style murder mystery on an island populated by alien Gods who are trying to destroy the world in order to rebuild it from scratch. But before they can do that, you must investigate the inhabitants to find out who - amongst an...eclectic bunch, is a murderer and place them on trial with the evidence you've collected. 

...Still with me? Just watch the trailer. 

I've put about 4-5 hours into this since yesterday and it's pretty special. You play a character called Lady Love Dies, an investigator who has been exiled from paradise, but forced to return on the eve of its destruction to solve a murder. On the way, you'll meet a motley bunch of Gods, each one stranger than the last as you try and figure out exactly who is responsible. The map is open world and it's quite relaxing to just wander around, collecting random stuff and occasionally interviewing someone to find out what they know. The game throws you in at the deep end - it takes a couple of hours to get a feel for how it all works, but the characters and world draw you in. There's one main mystery to solve, with a couple of major side quests and a few minor ones as well. You build up relationships with the characters and the more they like you, the more they'll tell you. And the soundtrack is amazing. Like, seriously great. 

Apparently it's about 10-15 hours long if you aim to try and get most of the evidence. It's a proper unusual beast, full of WTF world building moments. So far, it's a strong recommendation from me, but it definitely isn't for everyone. The game has a 20% discount for the next few days on both Switch and Steam at the minute if you're interested. 

And seriously, the soundtrack is brilliant. :wub:

GameSpot gave it a 9/10:

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/paradise-killer-review/1900-6417557/

And PC Gamer gave it 91%:

https://www.pcgamer.com/paradise-killer-review/

I’m about to sit down and start this, been looking forward to it for a while.  Oli, one half of the team that made this is my friend’s (& ex-colleague) fiancé so I’ve been following it for a while, really happy for them to see it review so well :D.

I picked it up on Switch ahead of release but I've only played the opening 30 minutes. Pretty overwhelming so far but I love the aesthetic and soundtrack. I am absolutely useless at looking around with the right stick in first person games so I'll need to see if there's gyro options.

It's so weird. And seems right up my street. The only thing I would disagree with OP is that it's less 80s, and more 80/90s vapourware kind of thing. 

I've not really got time to give it the attention it deserves right now, but it is ace.

Got the game for under a tenner on Humble (with subscriber discount) and then proceeded to buy the soundtrack on Steam anyway :) Not had chance to play it but the tunes have been playing all weekend :) I really liked the demo but only played a little bit as there was no save to cross over.

This is extremely my shit.  I’m not doing too much investigation atm, more throwing myself off roofs to collect things and finding Shinji in strange places.  Loving the soundtrack.  My friend Rachel as well as doing art for it also voices Starlight :lol:

Is this a good 'couples' game? For example, my wife and I really loved playing through Return of the Obra Dinn together because a lot of it was deduction and discussion between us. This sounds like it might be in a vaguely similar territory, except if it's quite explorey and half the fun is being in control and literally following your nose, perhaps it might just lead to whoever doesn't have the pad feeling a bit frustrated?

I'm definitely sold on wanting to play it, it just depends on whether I just play it myself or offer it up as an activity.

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

Is this a good 'couples' game? For example, my wife and I really loved playing through Return of the Obra Dinn together because a lot of it was deduction and discussion between us. This sounds like it might be in a vaguely similar territory, except if it's quite explorey and half the fun is being in control and literally following your nose, perhaps it might just lead to whoever doesn't have the pad feeling a bit frustrated?

I'm definitely sold on wanting to play it, it just depends on whether I just play it myself or offer it up as an activity.

I don't think it's all that similar, really. In Obra Dinn, there's discussions that can be had about who's who and callbacks to previous visions. This isn't like that. You wander around, talking to people who give you statements which are filed away in the relevant cases. You aim to find enough information to go to trial with for the endgame. But there's no real 'discoveries' like in Obra Dinn. 

I would still strongly recommend it - it's probably going to end up somewhere in my top 5 of the year - but I can't really compare it to Obra Dinn. 

Thanks, but I guess I wasn't wondering if it was similar as such, just, can you play two people together, thinking through the deductions and information and reaching that conclusion about the trial together. 

I don't know if anyone's played Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective (the 'board' game) but that's a brilliant example of something where the gameplay is all in your head, just figuring it all out. Discussion on that one helped massively. As did Obra Dinn. That makes sense?  

4 hours ago, cowfields said:

Thanks, but I guess I wasn't wondering if it was similar as such, just, can you play two people together, thinking through the deductions and information and reaching that conclusion about the trial together. 

I don't know if anyone's played Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective (the 'board' game) but that's a brilliant example of something where the gameplay is all in your head, just figuring it all out. Discussion on that one helped massively. As did Obra Dinn. That makes sense?  

There's not much in the way of deduction. You're never really asked to figure anything out as such. It's just wandering and interviewing and looking for clues. Maybe there is at the trial at the end but I haven't reached that yet. 

I'm getting close to the end now, though. I have a feeling I've figured it, but I'm mopping up the last few clues before the trial starts. 

On 07/09/2020 at 07:39, mdn2 said:

So, after wandering around for a good while I've just stumbled onto 

Reveal hidden contents

The Foot Baths. 

That should make things easier. 

Found that last night. Game changer!

Finally made my way to Henry and had a chat with him.

I never really thought that there would be a "real world" in this game. Was interesting to hear about how people are abducted, brought to this island for this grand experiment, before being killed off after their experiment fails. Fuck the Gods, man. Gave me some proper Dark City vibes.

If there's one thing I don't like about this, it's the map. Am I being thick or is there no way to zoom in on the Map screen? I was trying to get to the Barracks last night to investigate, but kept bouncing between the Apartment blocks, such is my shit sense of direction.

And finished. What a fantastic and utterly mental game. There was some proper detective work to get all the evidence and the final trial felt like Phoenix Wright turned up to 11. One of my games of the year. 

@mdn2 any hint on finding why Lydia & Sam we’re meeting at the farm?

I’ve found the space helmet that smells of her perfume & her tablet

Only thing I need to do outside of finding evidence of a vampire before starting the trials.

15 minutes ago, The Bag said:

@mdn2 any hint on finding why Lydia & Sam we’re meeting at the farm?

[spoilers]I’ve found the space helmet that smells of her perfume & her tablet[/spoiler]

Only thing I need to do outside of finding evidence of a vampire before starting the trials.

Go look near the farm instead of the farm itself. More specifically if you want the actual location:

Spoiler

Check out the beach near the bridge where the Reality Folding Drive is. 

And as for your Vampire side quest, a small hint:

Spoiler

Who would be the best person to go and see if you got bit by a vampire? 

I think it's absolutely fantastic from an AV point of view, and I enjoy the sense of exploration and feeling like you're going out of bounds/behind the scenery at times. The dialogue and actual gameplay don't do much for me, though. I dropped it pretty quickly because the central conceit didn't grab me at all. It may be one I return to to in the coming months but I think I'll just stick to the soundtrack. 

2 minutes ago, The Bag said:

And finished, I fucking loved it.

Finding Bear in there was such a surreal moment, she’s Rachel & Oli’s dog :lol:

:D That's awesome. I thought the dog was such a random moment, it's nice to hear it was there for a reason. 

Tell her that some random guy on the internet loved her game. 

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Just started this. I’m so fucking confused lol

Yeah, it's incredibly dense to begin with but that's probably better than just constant exposition. It's the kind of world where you always feel a few steps short of being able to properly understand it but you definitely start to get a feel for things the more you play. 

For those that are finished:

Spoiler

Who did you convict?

I’ve been chatting to them and it’s absolutely possible to convict the wrong people depending on the evidence you have and the case you build. 

:sherlock:

Edit - I guess not the wrong people because it’s about you finding your truth and proving it.  But not the people actually responsible.

I convicted

for plot 1:

The architect

Her son

Yuri

Akiko

for plot 2:

The Witness

The Daybreaks

and after the trial I executed Crimson for her part

This game needs a better map :(

Are blood crystals finite? I’ve been avoiding fast travelling in case they are.

Are the secrets you can buy new info or are they help/hints if stuck but info you can find elsewhere?

@Hexx They are finite, but there’s no shortage of them.  I had almost 40 of the at the end of the game having bought everything I could, used all the altars, unlocked all the fast travel points, and fast travelled a bunch.

I always found things I needed a single blood crystal for (unlocking fast travel, drinks machines) usually had one fairly close by.

There is an information broker character who’ll sell you secrets, she contacts you after a while.

13 minutes ago, The Bag said:

There is an information broker character who’ll sell you secrets, she contacts you after a while.

That's what I mean - is she selling "new"/"unique" info, or is she a help/catch up system?

3 minutes ago, Hexx said:

That's what I mean - is she selling "new"/"unique" info, or is she a help/catch up system?

Most of it seems unique - she did sell me some info once about something I'd already accidentally stumbled upon. 

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

How do you get to the graveyard?

Through 

Spoiler

The Opulent Ziggurat. There's a puzzle in there which leads you there when you solve it.