IGNORED

The difficulty of buying a decent games mag.

angel

Look, if Xevious is allowed to pimp UGVM, I'll do the same; www.blessedmagazine.com

There. Probably not what you're looking for, though, angel.

I wasn't pimping http://www.ugvm.org.uk at all. I made no mention of http://www.ugvm.org.uk. I mentioned the name, ugvm, but not http://www.ugvm.org.uk. As a result, http://www.ugvm.org.uk remains unpimped.

It is amazing how well shite mags do just because they have a dvd stuck on the front

But then shite sells nowdays in the uk

(see The Sun, Footballers Wives, Eastenders, Carling, McDonalds, Ford etc etc )

And as for Arcade, it was good, but perhaps its time to let it go now.

PSM has really pissed me off this month. The DVD is cool with the driver footage but i hate the way they use the word ...

"VERDICT"

Driv3er (kiss VC goodbye).

It gives you the thinking they've reviewed the game and they don't.

Fuckers. Last time you get my cash.

Oh and would you please ensure you put your mags in unopenable bags else i'll read them anyway and steal the coverdisk.

Well with all of this dissing of Official Magazines I have to disagree. I read the last 2 issues of OPS2 magazine (the ones bundled with Edge for free), and I was impressed. I wouldn't buy it cos I am poor, but the standard of writing and most of the reviews are dead good. Just subtract 1 from most of the review scores and you've got a good mag there.

games tm means well but really they re writing ability is piss poor compared to the edge. "could do with better gameplay..." hmm. Sort of like saying "could do with being a better film"

Though their enthusasium (sp) for games seems genuine.

Edit: I was drunk when I wrote this, god i sound like a pillock when im drunk.

games tm means well but really they re writing ability is piss poor compared to the edge. "could do with better gameplay..." hmm. Sort of like saying "could do with being a better film"

Though their enthusasium (sp) for games seems genuine.

Edit: I was drunk when I wrote this, god i sound like a pillock when im drunk.

The enthusiasm is there, but the knowledge and writing ability isn't.

The historical errors they make are just fucking hilarious, and a lot of the features are half-assed.

Still, I enjoy reading it.

Aside from Edge and the occasional issue of Games TM (if I like the retro features at the time), and not counting Retro Gamer because that was one mag so far, I don't buy mags.

Ok, that sounds like a daft statement. But I just don't look at other mags anymore. There's little need for them because the net gives me all the info, quicker. Heck, this forum alone gives me more info than any mag, and it's much easier to access.

I buy Edge for some good editorial pieces, I buy Games TM for the enthusiasm and retro stuff, and Retro Gamer had some interesting features in its first issue. The rest seem full of hype, "exclusive" reviews, and demos. I just don't buy games mags to read about the games...

I really don't see the point in bothering with anyting but EDGE and OXM if it has some decent demos at the moment.

All the info and media I want on games can be found online and EDGE still provide some interesting features, info and views on the industry as well as the games.

Hey no-one`s mentioned OXBM, its got to be the best magazine ever!

Why its so good with it`s cunt-faced reviewers pretending to be some kind of mono-browed celebrities.

I hate the look-at-us mentality of video game journalism, I mean you don`t see any of that crap in Empire, or even DVD review (and that was edited by Dave (Bandana) Perry for a while), or in any other review mags.....

You people are NOT stars, we don`t give a FUCKING TOSS what you look like.

Ok, rant over....I need a nice cup of tea......

As valid as some of those points are, I can't help but think that article is driven by a vendetta against the whole system that has chewed up, twisted and spat that man out.

I don't think that lessens their validity though.

Although I think Campbell is a bit too defeatist in the view that just because Future own most of the market and are incapable of delivering a decent games mag, there's no hope of anyone taking up the challenge.

Dennis Publishing seem to have managed to maintain some kind of presence in the market by reliably not following Future's blueprint, and if they're willing to put out guaranteed failures like Custom PC (and its previous incarnation that I forget the name of), surely a decent games mag would be a comparatively low-risk venture.

I think Stuart Cambells bloody great, even if he ignored a fairly routine PM congratulating him on his work and asking if he still played Sensible Soccer online. I suppose he gets that all day tho.

He should bring out his own mag. Entire issue percentage scores would barely reach 100. Itd be a blinding read.

Way of the Rodent is rather amusing and Campbell has submitted one or two pieces to the site. Places like Penny Arcade, Acts of Gord, Uncle Clive, Sean Baby serve to entertain. There's a lot of good stuff out on the net that fills a hole that good magazines used to fill.

Someone was selling off an entire collection of Mean Machines recently on the NTSC uk trading forum.

I finally bought a copy of GamesTM before I went away on holiday last week to see what the fuss was about. I'm afraid it's just not a patch on Edge. They seem to have taken some of Edge's aesthetic virtues just to fuck it up with the standard chaotic disorder of most games mags. I realise it's not all about aesthetics but I want to be able to read a magazine from beginning to end without having to look at umpteen box-outs. That alone put me off.

The writing style is very average; I'm not looking for John Updike to review games but why target the style at 12 year olds? I was under the impression they were after Edge's demographic.

I'm no Edge groupie but it remains the best games mag around and, unfortunately, has absolutely no challengers (in paper form at least).

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any magazines on the go that feature that distinct Your Sinclair style of irreverent humour?

Obviously there's Biffo in Edge, who has taken the style to a whole new level.

Sorry to hijack the topic, gents. But seeing as you're interested, go here: www.mrbiffo.com

Love you!

Uncle B.

xxx