Will you buy Mario Kart Home Circuit?

We are a one-Switch household. Does this have 2-player split-screen? The price is putting me off, but also 2020 has been a shitshow, and xmas deserves this kind of carnage. 

But only if we can have 2 players on one Switch. 

Pretty amazed to get a bullet and watch the kart do a lap of the living room steering by itself.

Also mirror mode totally broke my brain, flipped footage but also the controls so you drive normally on a reverse room.

On 06/09/2020 at 12:42, LaveDisco said:

so a game with a remote control car and digital camera should cost the same as a game with neither. Got it. 

Arguably the game content is significantly lower in this - you create the courses yourself. 

On 06/09/2020 at 12:15, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Yet to see how it copes with the speed difference... in the trailer it was a 1 to 1 representation, but unless the physical kart is very slow, laps would take seconds and would be so fast it wouldn't be very enjoyable on screen. Think scalextric, without the guided rails.

The cars are, in the physical world, quite slow but from the Kart’s position, low on the floor, there’s a great sense of speed.

having thought it's a ridiculous waste of money, I've bought one for a week away with my (small, probably too small) nieces for the hell of it. though I still think it's a ridiculous waste of money, and I'm keenly aware that my wife has already seen how much these things cost...

13 hours ago, Strafe said:

Arguably the game content is significantly lower in this - you create the courses yourself. 

:lol:

Yes, because there's no development effort in the way courses are made based on your checkpoint positions, the direction arrows and driving to lay it out (plus all the other virtual shit it can display around it). A bunch of Mario Kart courses is basically a solved problem for the team (or at least was 5 years ago when they made the game) meanwhile this required a completely new set of features.

I'm so impressed about this, from the trailer I was worried about the speed of the kart, but I've just unlocked 150 cc and it's almost too bloody nippy. Can't imagine what 200 cc is like.  Sure, if you watch the kart itself, it's slow, but when your watching the screen it's a different world. The fact that they've made a physical kart feel like the normal game is a staggering achievement. The trickiery behind the power slide alone is fantastic.

My 2.5 year old is loving it chasing after it, and genuinely thinks 'wee-gee' is alive.

On 22/10/2020 at 08:48, thesnwmn said:

:lol:

Yes, because there's no development effort in the way courses are made based on your checkpoint positions, the direction arrows and driving to lay it out (plus all the other virtual shit it can display around it). A bunch of Mario Kart courses is basically a solved problem for the team (or at least was 5 years ago when they made the game) meanwhile this required a completely new set of features.

yeah but that’s not what I said, is it

Just now, pledge said:

The way they sell them now that's unlikely. It's just 2 packs, not a pack that contains both karts.

Yeah, it is just quite expensive for multiplayer. A double pack at £150 would be the sweet spot for me. Even then it is probably a bit of a novelty but multiplayer for £200.....

28 minutes ago, Cheeko said:

Anyone else just had a random parcel turn up with no explanation at all of what it is for?

A couple of Hone Circuit folding signs and a blank workbook.

E7055F01-D980-4EFF-8086-8C13534E3253.jpeg

Where did you buy it from? Nintendo store?

On 25/10/2020 at 19:28, sbrandon111 said:

I wonder what it's like on carpet? I want to buy it but think the living room / dining room carpet would be slightly too thick :(

Okish, but it needs a fairly large amount of space. The turning circle on the kart isn’t all that great, and the bluetooth range also leaves something to be desired, given that your Switch isn’t going to be in the centre of most tracks but in the corner of the room.

I think I could just about set up a figure of eight loop in my 5m by 3m living room. It may have to go under a sofa, which would be its own problem. Anything trying to get a kart up to speed in 100cc, let alone 200cc, would be doomed.

On 25/10/2020 at 14:17, gospvg said:

This really shows up the limitations. Not that I was ever in the market for it, but it’s a decent proof of concept at least.

When they can shrink the cars down to half the size or thereabouts, they’ll have something decent.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

This really shows up the limitations. Not that I was ever in the market for it, but it’s a decent proof of concept at least.

When they can shrink the cars down to half the size or thereabouts, they’ll have something decent.

Agree if they can reduce the size of the cars & drop the price down to £59.99 or £100 for the set I think they could shift quite a few, I'm curious so will pick up one at some point to try.

Was at my brother's house yesterday and they were showing this off on This Morning. Had to laugh because Holly Willoughby was playing it purely like a remote-control car and only twigged later you're supposed to use the screen. It did look interesting though. You'd need a massive front room by the looks. 

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

Agree if they can reduce the size of the cars & drop the price down to £59.99 or £100 for the set I think they could shift quite a few, I'm curious so will pick up one at some point to try.

Agreed. I mean, this is Nintendo so it is probably selling well anyway but it feels like it really needed a £100 set of two to go mainstream. 

The requirement to have 2 Switch consoles to play 2 player is also a bit of a bummer. 

It looks like a fun novelty but for me it is just to expensive to justify what I am sure would be a Christmas week or fun before being dismantled and never used again. 

4 hours ago, McCoy said:

Agreed. I mean, this is Nintendo so it is probably selling well anyway but it feels like it really needed a £100 set of two to go mainstream. 

I suppose the question is did they intend it to go mainstream (by which I'm assuming you mean millions of sales), it seems to be close to sold out currently. I wonder who it's selling to, is it the hardcore, or is it actually 'mainstream' and parents are buying it for their young kids?