Super Mario Bros Nintendo Game & Watch - 13th November

Got mine this afternoon and played through Super Mario Bros (with warps). It's a nice wee thing; doesn't feel quite as premium as I'd hoped and the buttons are spongy (just like the original Game & Watches) but they work well enough for playing these games. I initially thought there were issues with the sound but it turns out I was just covering the speaker with my left index finger, haha. Packaging was lovely too.

I wish it had a little kickstand so I could rest it on my bedside table. I'll likely use it as an alarm and play through a level or two of The Lost Levels each night.

I accidentally activated an Infinite Lives cheat at one point and tried to recreate it with various combinations of buttons with no luck so I looked it up:

Spoiler

Just hold down A when starting your game on either Super Mario Bros title screen.

18 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

anyone had theirs from nintendo (pointless question?)

Mine was from Nintendo.

Got one delivered today from GameStop. Packaging is lovely. Turned it on, set the time and played the first two levels of Super Mario Bros. 

It's fine. Screen is nicer than I expected. Cool thing to have but I don't think I'll use it that much. I don't see much value in it being hacked as a general emulation device but I think the same thing about all these mini console type releases. 

Both my orders arrived today - Amazon and Nintendo. No idea why I kept both orders.

Impressions:

- Screen is bright, LCD, and very small. Perhaps a little too small to enjoy the game, a bit like a Game Boy Micro.

- Screen is pixel-perfect at least vertically - the aspect ratio of the games is 4:3, so there's horizontal scrolling shimmer.

- Colour palette is on the "blue sky, orange bricks" side

- It feels very light and hollow. Not flimsy, but more like a toy than a device.

- Buttons are spongey rubber.

- No headphone jack... of course... there shouldn't be. But still.

- Brightness and volume control are on the "Pause/Set" button

- Doesn't seem to be any save states, but it will remember your position if you change to the clock or put in standby.

- Clock is fun, but everyone is right - it needed a stand.

- Worth £45? Not really I guess, but it's pretty sweet.

29 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Mine is still with Royal Mail :(

Same here despite them saying it would be with me between 9.15 and 13.15.  The mrs new hairdryer is supposed to be comin between this time slot as well but I have seen the postie and the postie in a van this morning and neither stopped to drop anything off. :angry:

This is 

2 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Same here despite them saying it would be with me between 9.15 and 13.15.  The mrs new hairdryer is supposed to be comin between this time slot as well but I have seen the postie and the postie in a van this morning and neither stopped to drop anything off. :angry:

This is the worst G&W release day ever.

21 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Ignore the time slot it's based on the normal time a postie would be out on delivery but due to covid loads of us are working later shifts and don't finish until late.

I found a thing!

So you can't continue from the world you died in by holding A+Start (the open secret that everyone always knew from the NES), because there isn't a Start button. But! To make up for it, hold A on the title screen for about 5 seconds to start a game with infinite lives.

56 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I found a thing!

So you can't continue from the world you died in by holding A+Start (the open secret that everyone always knew from the NES), because there isn't a Start button. But! To make up for it, hold A on the title screen for about 5 seconds to start a game with infinite lives.

Nice. There is also something going on with the clock. If you press A and B the clock lights up and perhaps more enemies appear on screen. Not sure...