Jump to content

Turrican Anniversary anthology collections


Recommended Posts

Turrican was great at the time, particularly in terms of graphics and music ... But with hindsight it's obvious that it was an attempt at a console style action game by people who only really understood how to make home computer games - it plays like a souped up version of a game by Hewson or someone, like Exolon or Cybernoid, rather than Contra or something like that, which it was clearly trying to ape the look and feel of. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bplus said:

I never played turrican. Is it sort of a metroid style game?

 

If I was to play it, what's a good one to start with? Super turrican? Megadrive turrican?


It’s nothing like Metroid apart from the fact that the character can turn into a ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lord help me but I actually sprung for the collectors (99) edition. I've always loved the series and this is one of those times where having a physical collection in some sort of special package really appealed, despite knowing it's an outrageous rip off. Splitting the games up is really cynical, (and I'm surprised they didn't add Universal Soldier in there, perhaps sans license)  and I would have loved to see the home 8-bit versions.

 

My first experience of Turrican was on the Spectrum where its bright bold graphics without clash and multidirectional scrolling really wowed back in the day. It missed a good AY soundtrack though, but that's where I fell in love with the series. Obviously in later years I played it on the Amiga and eventually the Mega Drive, which I must say is one of my favourite versions of the game. The music in all these games is such a part of the Turrican experience, I shall be cranking it up come delivery day.

Here's hoping all this Turrican talk is a precursor for a new version, will certainly be checking out Gunlord-X @Vimster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robo_1 said:

Here's hoping all this Turrican talk is a precursor for a new version, will certainly be checking out Gunlord-X @Vimster.

 

It's a deliberate attempt to do a modern Turrican by a German developer, right down to the selection of weapons, the music, the way you pick up power-ups, the lot. Was originally on Dreamcast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

it's obvious that it was an attempt at a console style action game by people who only really understood how to make home computer games - it plays like a souped up version of a game by Hewson or someone, like Exolon or Cybernoid, rather than Contra or something like that, which it was clearly trying to ape the look and feel of. 

 

Manfred Trenz has said that the inspiration was actually Data East's Psycho-Nics-Oscar. Like @K said, for the most part creators at this point looked to the arcades not the consoles. Although the ball is certainly reminiscent of Metroid. 

 

Here's Psycho-Nics-Oscar

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This definitely didn't need splitting over two discs. You're basically being inconvenienced there. The price is absolutely batshit as well.

 

Turrican has some heavy duty nostalgia hitting power, but I suspect it'll be played as a novelty for a bit and then shelved. There's just much better examples of the genre out there if you want to run and gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Are any of the console versions good?

 

I'll stick up for Mega Turrican (Turrican 3 on Amiga). It's not up there with the best 16-bit console action games but it's decent enough with a good soundtrack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Are any of the console versions good?

 

The MD version is fantastic. I frequently return to it and the soundtrack is probably worth the price of entry by itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

 

Manfred Trenz has said that the inspiration was actually Data East's Psycho-Nics-Oscar. Like @K said, for the most part creators at this point looked to the arcades not the consoles. Although the ball is certainly reminiscent of Metroid. 

 

Here's Psycho-Nics-Oscar

 

I know Psycho-Nics very well - it was in the first batch of arcade games we licensed when I was at Antstream, and one of the few that wasn't completely pointless to play these days. I'd actually consider it to be a much more fun game than Turrican, mainly due to it ripping off Gradius's excellent power-up mechanic. 

 

Having said that I did find Turrican and especially Turrican 2 a lot of fun back in the day. But I agree with the comments in this thread that it hasn't aged particularly well. I've booted it up on emulators plenty of times since but never played it for long, too hard to avoid the enemies due to not being able to see them until they are on top of you, and lots of leap-of-faith platforming .

The soundtrack is still awesome though of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I know Psycho-Nics very well - it was in the first batch of arcade games we licensed when I was at Antstream, and one of the few that wasn't completely pointless to play these days. I'd actually consider it to be a much more fun game than Turrican, mainly due to it ripping off Gradius's excellent power-up mechanic. 

 

Having said that I did find Turrican and especially Turrican 2 a lot of fun back in the day. But I agree with the comments in this thread that it hasn't aged particularly well. I've booted it up on emulators plenty of times since but never played it for long, too hard to avoid the enemies due to not being able to see them until they are on top of you, and lots of leap-of-faith platforming .

The soundtrack is still awesome though of course. 

 

I have to admit I don't think I'd ever seen Psycho-Nics Oscar until today. It looks decent!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

 

I have to admit I don't think I'd ever seen Psycho-Nics Oscar until today. It looks decent!

It's one of those arcade games that's still relatively fun to play even on MAME with infinite credits because you go back to checkpoints when you die, forcing you to get though sections without being killed to see what's next. Like Ghouls n Ghosts or Strider. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2020 at 17:03, Anne Summers said:

It's one of those arcade games that's still relatively fun to play even on MAME with infinite credits because you go back to checkpoints when you die, forcing you to get though sections without being killed to see what's next. Like Ghouls n Ghosts or Strider. 

It's the game I spent the most time playing on Antstream.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2020 at 12:37, Rex Grossman said:

 

Manfred Trenz has said that the inspiration was actually Data East's Psycho-Nics-Oscar. Like @K said, for the most part creators at this point looked to the arcades not the consoles. Although the ball is certainly reminiscent of Metroid. 

 

Here's Psycho-Nics-Oscar

 

 

Well, I've learnt 2 things from this thread which I started:

 

1) A lot of people don't think much of Turrican :( Especially Super Turrican on the SNES which i still play a lot, I never get very far but i really love the music.

2) Psycho-Nics-Oscar is pretty awesome - I'd never heard of this before! You can really see how it influenced Turrican. I'm pleased to have found this.

 

I ordered both of the collections  but I think i might scrap volume 2 - that seem to be a bit of a rip off tbh, I don't think I had twigged that Mega Turrican and Turrican 3 were the same game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honest opinion time... As a former Amiga owner, I basically regard Turrican & Turrican 2 on a similar level as Shadow of the Beast or Ubisoft’s Unreal, as in great tech demos for the stock Amiga hardware, but they aren’t great games at all, certainly by modern standards. Yes, T&T2 look, sound and play much better than Shadow of the Beast, but they aren’t gameplay classics. If you own the 16-bit consoles, or have console emulators (or MAME)  on your PC or Mac, you’ve already got access to far better games from the platform-shooter genre. IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Honest opinion time... As a former Amiga owner, I basically regard Turrican & Turrican 2 on a similar level as Shadow of the Beast or Ubisoft’s Unreal, as in great tech demos for the stock Amiga hardware, but they aren’t great games at all, certainly by modern standards. Yes, T&T2 look, sound and play much better than Shadow of the Beast, but they aren’t gameplay classics. If you own the 16-bit consoles, or have console emulators (or MAME)  on your PC or Mac, you’ve already got access to far better games from the platform-shooter genre. IMO.


I think SOTB was never a good game even at the time. I think Turrican was (especially for the C64) but I personally didn’t get on with it. Gameplay-wise it’s not aged well but few one-button action games from 1990 have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.