NVIDIA GeForce 30-series reveal - PS5/SeriesX-slaying graphics

Yeah, I'm gonna say that the 3090 was never ever coming into stock today at the Nvidia site. 

What would be better all 'round is if you just don't fucking bother even giving a date that isn't remotely realistic and just tell people it will come out some other time.

Hey ho!

2 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Was that an "add to basket" or a pre-order? If it was a pre-order then you could still be waiting a while I'm afraid.

They said on their forum there is virtually no stock on 3090s and all orders should be considered preorders. 

I'm treating it very much as a pre-order until it's in my hands. eBuyer were quoting delivery timing around end November from what I could see... if I get it before then would be a bonus at this point I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Moz said:

So far this week I've managed to pay for 2 3080's and 3 Xbox Series X's that never existed.

The Palit 3080s at ebuyer definitely existed, but they were sold out in between the checkout and the payment page for you :(

I don't understand why Apple's very civilised pre-order system isn't used more widely. You just keep moving the date of shipment back as the orders pile up so everyone knows roughly where they are, and it's rarely wrong whenever I've bought something from them. I guess it needs communication and coordination though, so perhaps not.

7 minutes ago, Moz said:

So far this week I've managed to pay for 2 3080's and 3 Xbox Series X's that never existed.

It certainly does feel like this is a solid way for retailers to boost their short term cash flow in the face of Covid. Overclockers must have £millions sitting in their accounts right now

41 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I had a Zotac 780. Nice card, quiet, no issues. 3 year warranty I believe.

Same, that is the main reason I went for Zotac. I have a GTX 1080 from launch and no issues at all, plus 5 year warranty.

Just now, Lying Cat said:

I don't understand why Apple's very civilised pre-order system isn't used more widely. You just keep moving the date of shipment back as the orders pile up so everyone knows roughly where they are, and it's rarely wrong whenever I've bought something from them. I guess it needs communication and coordination though, so perhaps not.

Apple's logistics are probably second only to Amazon though. Tim Cook is a logistics guy, they've spent years optimising that.

Nvidia are not Apple

4 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Because we are heathens!

Ahem.

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

Best GN video for a while :lol: 

Anyone who would never have considered buying a Titan in the past, due to it basically being a work card as opposed to a game card, should really look at the 3090 in the same way. It's a Titan, no matter how much Nvidia have pushed it as a gaming card. Yeah it'll game better than any card but it's designed for workloads. Knew that as soon as they stated 24gb of vram.

There will definitely be a ti or S model in the new year that has around the same gaming performance divide there always has been between the real top gaming card and the Titans of the past, i.e not much.

No way would I even consider the 90 unless I did a shit ton of rendering work or whatever else these cards are really designed for. Complete waste of the architecture in a gaming setup. The increase for gaming is just not there, especially regards to cost. It's not really a gaming card.

Cool your jets and get a 3080 or wait for the S or ti in a few months.

Yeah, well you considered a Titan for whatever reason was worth the poor uptick of gaming performance to cost in the past so my post is not really aimed at someone like you. Make your workloads fly, or/and get you a few more frames. 

I'm talking about someone who would never have entertained a Titan in the past as they considered it a work card. It still is, just Nvidia are pushing a little harder toward the gaming crowd and renaming it to 90.

44 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Apple's Pickup-From-Store functionality has been amazing too. Their site sends a ticket to your Apple Wallet on purchase, that you get the staff running a separate queue on the door to scan, then get your item. I was super impressed.

Honestly, I cannot get overly excited about any of the other manufacturer's cards - especially as they've hiked up the prices of them all. The only one which is even vaguely reasonable is the TUFF one, and that's because it's possibly the most blandest piece of metal you could ever find. The rest are god awful pieces of cheap plastic.

And yes I know that's a spectacularly daft way of looking at a piece of tech that'll fit into a case and you'll very rarely look at ever, but that's the way it is :P 

The whole process has been a complete and utter ball ache, and I'm not entirely convinced that nVidia ever released any 3090s into the UK at all - in which case, don't bother with a release date at the moment, just say it'll come out later when stocks are healthier. 

I say all this, and I guarantee I'll be back on places like Scan attempting to buy one of the ugly ones just to assuage my  tech needs ;) 

9 minutes ago, JoeK said:

. The only one which is even vaguely reasonable is the TUFF one, and that's because it's possibly the most blandest piece of metal you could ever find.  

Not to mention it has tyre tracks, like it's been run over! 

I have a pre-order in at Overclockers and notice they keep bumping the prices up... its supposed to be a first come - first served basis however I ordered at a lower price so wonder if they will sell out on this idea and sell to to the higher priced orders first... :) 

A bit of a fiasco this. However to be expected I guess. Great card. Although £700 is big chunk of money TBH.

I was actually thinking of taking of advantage of the price drops on the older RTX cards (2070/2080) however not really done much of a comparison and looking at the prices they aren't that far off each other new. Might find a few people trying to offload their old cards though... is it worth going for a 2070 or 2080 and saving a bit of cash? Mainly just do a bit of VR gaming and other types of games. Have a 4K screen but I'm kind of happy with upscaled 1440p @ 60fps. Frame rate is key to me over resolution. 

I think the main deciding factor for me is can the older cards keep up with the new consoles on the horizon? Thoughts anyone? 

And I admit defeat. Like many others got to the last click on evga and booted to a product page. More coming though so no biggie. :)

Oh and best buy seem to think the release date is the 28th so haven't put any on sale. :lol:

I just went on the OverClockers forum. Jesus wept, what a nightmare. Still, looks like there's actually been some communication on there about product coming in. Apparently TUFs came in - alas I wasn't early enough but gives me some hope I may get a card this year