NVIDIA GeForce 30-series reveal - PS5/SeriesX-slaying graphics

11 hours ago, amc said:

DLSS is happening, I don't care what big Navi reputes.  No I'm not in the know but this tech isn't hairworks. It's serious shit. It encompasses both RT and 4K. There is no way it isn't going to be a premium tech going forward. No way, regardless of console or AMD Big Navi.

Just base your purchase to include DLSS. Try it, it's potent stuff.

I wish I could DLSS my impending jog. Organic DLSS, run 5 minutes, body behaves like you’ve run 30, same or better results. Or on our calls to the in-laws instead of having to visit them today. Suppose all I could do is ask.

4 hours ago, Faded said:

Because I am a total idiot I recently bought a new pc with a 2080s in it. (I was aware this was a stupid decision at the time)

Due to this year ruining a bunch of plans I could afford a new card without much of a sting but I would feel weird about the hit I’d take on the current one versus how much use I’ve gotten out of it. 

Also games still look real nice to me since I spent the last five years playing games on a toaster. 

You probably won't *need* to upgrade for a few years yet, unless you're determined to run at 8k and ultra settings in the upcoming years games I suppose

The last pc I built was about 4 years ago now, and has a 970 which still copes admirably well with most stuff. It's only Flight Sim which has really punished this system and made me look at upgrades (and complete rebuilds)

Yeah I understand that the 2080s is still a fine card and I’m not maximum settings obsessed. Being able to just set stuff to max and not worry about it sure is nice though. I am also failing to get excited about new consoles so that’s money I could spend on a card without feeling too guilty about it. 

This machine is my first using an ssd though. I never realised what a dark age I was living in. That’s the upgrade that anyone who hasn’t should make before anything else. 

I understand that I am the last person to realise this. 

• Upvote 2

So I take it actually getting one of these anytime close to Sept 17th is going to be Very Difficult?

Also is it just the Founder one that’s available then or will some of these third party cards be available too?

10 minutes ago, spanx said:

So I take it actually getting one of these anytime close to Sept 17th is going to be Very Difficult?

Also is it just the Founder one that’s available then or will some of these third party cards be available too?

They’ll be available for order. Whether they’ll be available for delivery?

As a rule, getting a cheap one will be extremely difficult, getting any one (eg. spend another £n on top of the price) will probably be possible if you order immediately. It was easier for the 1080 launch because the founders edition was £50-£100 more than the cheap one, and versions were created by each of the third parties, and therefore was easier to get.

24 minutes ago, spanx said:

Loads of third party cards are listed at overclockers (ranging from £640 to £800+). No pre orders but at least allows you to see what’s lined up...

I'll order one and just wait. It'd be nice to have it arrive before Cyberpunk comes along but if it doesn't...well, it'll be an excuse to get on with the painting I supposed to be doing ;) 

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Last one I remember buying was this:

71TAHKYG20L._AC_SX466_.gif

Came with Half-Life! 

Wasn't the last card I bought, just the last one I remember. 

I've got that card kicking about in my loft, I recall thinking it should be extracted from my PC as a reminder as to how awful the whole process used to be.

I feel like I need to dig it out....

1 hour ago, Faded said:

This machine is my first using an ssd though. I never realised what a dark age I was living in. That’s the upgrade that anyone who hasn’t should make before anything else. 

Crikey. I've had an SSD in my laptop since 2013, and they were never that expensive. Do they even still bother making mechanical drives?

You're right. It's such a leap. To this day I'm still grateful for that advancement each time I boot my PC.

1 hour ago, Faded said:

Yeah I understand that the 2080s is still a fine card and I’m not maximum settings obsessed. Being able to just set stuff to max and not worry about it sure is nice though. I am also failing to get excited about new consoles so that’s money I could spend on a card without feeling too guilty about it. 

I understand that I am the last person to realise this. 

I got a new PC with a 2070 super knowing that these new cards where on the horizon.  I'm part disappointed with my impatient self that I could of waited, also I end up mostly playing things that don't really need power anyway except for my wireless Vive setup.  Now I'm trying to justify myself that I can stretch to a 3070 because that price is real tempting.   I'll probably wait for reviews/benchmark tests and third party cards and get one later this year or early next.  2000 cards are still no slouch and will support DLSS.

5 minutes ago, simms said:

I got a new PC with a 2070 super knowing that these new cards where on the horizon.  I'm part disappointed with my impatient self that I could of waited, also I end up mostly playing things that don't really need power anyway except for my wireless Vive setup.  Now I'm trying to justify myself that I can stretch to a 3070 because that price is real tempting.   I'll probably wait for reviews/benchmark tests and third party cards and get one later this year or early next.  2000 cards are still no slouch and will support DLSS.

You're a proper PC gamer now! Literally, the PC life is one of clicking a 'buy' button and then being informed that the new version is out in a couple of days time! 

• Upvote 7
20 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Crikey. I've had an SSD in my laptop since 2013, and they were never that expensive. Do they even still bother making mechanical drives?

You're right. It's such a leap. To this day I'm still grateful for that advancement each time I boot my PC.

I have a 2tb HDD in the machine just for backup of old pics and what not. I even hate the sound of it spinning up when I have occasion to access it. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Last one I remember buying was this:

71TAHKYG20L._AC_SX466_.gif

Came with Half-Life! 

Wasn't the last card I bought, just the last one I remember. 

That’s the last graphics card that I bought brand new!

Just to wade into the disposable income/ hobbies debate. My other hobbies are road bikes (fucking ch-ching!) and photography (how fucking much?!?) Whilst my wife is a kite surfer and you can easily be spending 1.5k on a new kite and she has four of the buggers.

To me dropping 500 quid on a card that will last you 2-3 years on something that is also useful is a no brained. I'm also lucky that my wife hasn't got a fucking clue what she is looking at so it's easy to buy new tech. #spineless

• Upvote 5
10 minutes ago, Faded said:

I have a 2tb HDD in the machine just for backup of old pics and what not. I even hate the sound of it spinning up when I have occasion to access it. 

Sure. I suppose they're good for bulk storage. I actually nearly went with one in mine, although the whole point of my case having Gamecube-like handles is so that I can quickly/recklessly lug it downstairs for 4K living room gaming. I didn't want to compromise the sturdiness with moving parts.

After seeing @Thors GPU Lego balancing tricks I'm obviously questioning myself...

1 minute ago, Fallows said:

Sure. I suppose they're good for bulk storage. I actually nearly went with one in mine, although the whole point of my case having Gamecube-like handles is so that I can quickly/recklessly lug it downstairs for 4K living room gaming. I didn't want to compromise the sturdiness with moving parts.

After seeing @Thors GPU Lego balancing tricks I'm obviously questioning myself...

I honestly don’t know why I bothered. I have everything copied to a 4tb external usb3 drive. I should have just copied my photo folder to a thumb stick for extra safety and for rid. Why I think I still need access to mp3 files I downloaded from Napster 20 years ago is a mystery to me. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I purposely make my wife dumb on the subject. IPS "eye protection system", and AI Tensor Cores which boost my web development. The 3070 won't fit into my case either because it's an entirely different socket to the 3080.

I love it.

That might make me a twat, but fuck it, it's my main hobby on the line.

Me buying a new pc means she gets the big telly more. It’s win win. 

1 hour ago, Faded said:

I honestly don’t know why I bothered. I have everything copied to a 4tb external usb3 drive. I should have just copied my photo folder to a thumb stick for extra safety and for rid. Why I think I still need access to mp3 files I downloaded from Napster 20 years ago is a mystery to me. 

Get it all in the cloud and be done with it. 

My lovely wife has no interest in technology and doesn't really care. She knows it's all my main hobby and what I enjoy so just says buy what you want. I'm a lucky man! :)

• Upvote 1