NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

3 hours ago, Trigg said:

That’s the sensible play but I must want something better than my current 1080 for Cyberpunk and Watchdogs. 

Same here. Problem is my current Asus ROG G20CB is power supply constrained at 410W, or 180W for the GPU. So only the RTX3060 or perhaps a RTX2070 Super will cut it. But how much of an upgrade are those from a GTX1080? Don't want to spend big bus on a marginal upgrade.

I have a 1440p monitor but I will probably hook up my PC to my TV to play CyberPunk2077 as it gives much better framerates/quality at 1080p (and better pure blacks). 

59 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

RTX2070 Super will cut it. But how much of an upgrade are those from a GTX1080?

2070s is similar to 1080ti so not a big upgrade in raw power but does have dlss and rtx i guess.

2 hours ago, milko said:

@Trigg it's here- https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-2070-Super-WINDFORCE/dp/B07X51LTKK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=2070&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1602668233&s=warehouse-deals&sr=8-2

20% off in the checkout takes it to £355. The 'completely new' as opposed to Warehouse Deals one is £470.

Nice price that. Power draw would be a bit much for my current PSU. Any way of reducing wattage via GeForce Experience?

It’s easy done via AMD’s Adrenalin software (you just select ‘Power Saving’).

6 hours ago, vezna said:

Nice price that. Power draw would be a bit much for my current PSU. Any way of reducing wattage via GeForce Experience?

It’s easy done via AMD’s Adrenalin software (you just select ‘Power Saving’).

Think you may need to undervolt to decrease power consumption. Don't think there is a software alternative for lowering draw with Nvidia GPUs like what you describe, well unless you down clock via Afterburner or something, think you can also undervolt using that too, unsure. I might be way off as I have no experience in lowering power draw, it's usually the opposite for me lol.

If you're upgrading further down the road anyway then might be time to upgrade your PSU.

You kind of feel that all this is part of nVidia's gameplan...

No 30xx cards, so it forces folks to buy the overstocked 20xx ones instead.

They're evil geniuses...

2 hours ago, spanx said:

Cancelled my 3080 TUF preorder and going AMD. Overclockers are shit, Nvidia are shit. Don’t want either of them to have my money. 

On the fence at the moment with all this. AMD vs NVidia, Intel Vs AMD... 

Can't say I've ever noticed that much difference other than price and mostly AMD/AMD are the cheapest combination and Intel/NVidia the most expensive.

Unless you are doing some serious number crunching work guessing most people in real terms won't actually notice a difference when playing a game or editing a spreadsheet, surfing the web or whatever. I mean I'm sat on a 3+ year old machine here, it has a 6 core Ryzen Processor (1st Gen Ryzen 5), 16GB DDR4 memory and a NVidia GTX980Ti video card with a super fast m2 system disk and a 1TB SSD. Seems to be working quite well TBH. Sure I can't run game X at 60fps@4K in ultra details. To be honest I probably wouldn't be bothered 1080/1400p looks nice enough in games anyway - the (4K) monitor can upscale if needed. Frame rate is nice and steady. Just talking myself out of an upgrade again! :D

Yeah that’s my feeling. If the Radeon is going to be in the ball park performance wise, cheaper and more power efficient I’ll go for that. Worst case I’ll upgrade in a couple of years time

Its not so much Nvidia though really, I just find Overclockers a shit show - just wanted to hit them where it hurts. Their bank balance. 

15 minutes ago, spanx said:

Its not so much Nvidia though really, I just find Overclockers a shit show - just wanted to hit them where it hurts. Their bank balance. 

Think the whole thing is (a shit show). Like most popular tech releases these days its a mixture of hyping things up, the web and limited supply. The pandemic won't be helping either. Lots of people working from home chomping at the bit for some new tech to play with. :)

NVidia will be laughing all the way to the bank though can't make those £700 cards quick enough and suppliers putting a nice markup on everything getting their nice little cut. Personally never noticed when a £700 graphics card became a high volume, massively in demand item. :o More so people reselling them at £1K. Jeez. Love gaming and tech but.... 

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Yeah that’s my feeling. If the Radeon is going to be in the ball park performance wise, cheaper and more power efficient I’ll go for that. Worst case I’ll upgrade in a couple of years time

338 -> 315. Just another 314 cancellations to go (because none of these cards have shipped) until I still don't get one. They're losing hundreds of preorders a few higher than that though. Doubt they care.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

You kind of feel that all this is part of nVidia's gameplan...

No 30xx cards, so it forces folks to buy the overstocked 20xx ones instead.

They're evil geniuses...

Plus rumour-mill says plenty NV cards in stock come November - including the 3070. Just in time with the AMD releases funnily enough. 

I saw somebody selling two 3090's on ebay for £820 a pop. What's the scam? eBay always sides with the buyer when it comes to non-arrival of product, so I can only assume somebody has gained access to somebody else's account, and will take the money out and then dump it before a refund can be put through, especially given that they've framed a UK > UK delivery as 8 days.

Brand new account too - so obviously something is suss, but I'm too much of an eBay n00b to know what they're doing.

ffs, even though I am third in the "queue" at Scan for my 3080, it appears after getting a convoluted email trying to explain what is happening, I will not be getting it for a least another 3 weeks! 

They actually rang me to explain the situation, which was a surprise granted, but the bottom line, I still have not got it, even after my order going through and been charged 5 mins after they became available on launch day.

1 hour ago, footle said:

338 -> 315. Just another 314 cancellations to go (because none of these cards have shipped) until I still don't get one. They're losing hundreds of preorders a few higher than that though. Doubt they care.

You can thank me for one of those position jumps :)

10 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Hmm, yeah both those support DLSS 2.0 so you'd see the benefit going from a 1080 to a 2070 Super for sure. Tricky position to be in.

Is Cyberpunk set to use DLSS 2.0 on release?  I've got a 2070s 

4 hours ago, spanx said:

I remember getting my 480 off them was a nightmare. They were letting people queue jump. I avoid them wherever possible. 

28 minutes ago, simms said:

Is Cyberpunk set to use DLSS 2.0 on release?  I've got a 2070s 

Yeah, any game that uses DLSS and DLSS 2.0 should see the 2070S very comfortably outperform a 1080ti. Without DLSS both cards basically have parity in raster performance. 

For Cyberpunk 2077 a DLSS enabled card is definitely the best option. We just need to see more DLSS games in the future to make the upgrade worth it. Pretty confident we will do too.

Though a 1080ti to 2070S may seem a poor upgrade (and it probably is atm) moving forward that will most definitely change.

Installed the card this morning - was slightly concerned as no power adapter in the box but thankfully the cable i was using for my 1080ti was fine.

Only managed to have a quick go at dead by daylight (not exactly pushing it i know) but i can no play in 2k ultrawide at ultra which is all good. Flight sim sems way better (and quicker loading) too.

I'll try Control tomorrow with some ray tracing!

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion