NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Unless I'm incorrectly remembering the numbers, Scan got their delayed "double shipment" and it was 50 cards. So there's still 900+ in the queue. Despite this their Twitter is suggesting they dont think its too long before they can open for orders again...

1 minute ago, pledge said:

Unless I'm incorrectly remembering the numbers, Scan got their delayed "double shipment" and it was 50 cards. So there's still 900+ in the queue. Despite this their Twitter is suggesting they dont think its too long before they can open for orders again...

Despite the whole cock-ups initially, Scan are about the only online store who've been pretty decent about what the heck's now going on with shipments. My good mood towards them has been increased by the really swift service I had from them yesterday whereupon I cocked up on an item and at 9pm they sorted it all out and I still got the goods today.

So, as and when I do buy a GPU/CPU etc I'll try and buy from them if at all possible, as they're generally great to use.

I partly agree in that I'd still use them in general and they got put in a difficult position here. But they are still doing the bare minimum in terms of communication - its just the others are even worse. I only vaguely know what's going on from reading their Twitter replies to people. In terms of actual contact they've only sent one email.

3 minutes ago, pledge said:

I partly agree in that I'd still use them in general and they got put in a difficult position here. But they are still doing the bare minimum in terms of communication - its just the others are even worse. I only vaguely know what's going on from reading their Twitter replies to people. In terms of actual contact they've only sent one email.

Ah, that’s not so good. I’m looking it at it from an outside perspective I guess, so their daily shipments chart seems pretty useful, but doesn’t help folks who’ve bought from them, that’s for sure.

2 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Does bestbuy.com ship to Canada? I doubt I'll be able to snipe an FE card but if it's possible I'll try and win the card lottery.

Sadly not I don't think but maybe you could pickup just across the border if you're nearby? Maybe grasping a straws a bit with that.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/international-orders/pcmcat204400050019.c?id=pcmcat204400050019

My card is sat just across the water in NJ currently. Tomorrow is the day.

UPS person just delivered and I got very, very excited, only to realise it was some towels and a skirt. Naughty wife playing with my emotions like that! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Len said:

Sadly not I don't think but maybe you could pickup just across the border if you're nearby? Maybe grasping a straws a bit with that.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/international-orders/pcmcat204400050019.c?id=pcmcat204400050019

I'm in Toronto so it'd be a day trip, and doable, but to be honest I'm so tired of the fucking around just to try get an order in I'm just going to give up and wait until next year. Fuck it.

15 hours ago, Uzi said:

Is buying a 3070 Super for £350 a bad shout to use until the 2021 nvidia refresh of cards?

If you mean a 2070 then I’m thinking of doing the same thing actually. I want a new card for Cyberpunk and I’m driving myself insane trying to get a 3080 right now. So figured I’d get a 2070 and sell it when I finally can get the 3080. 

Doesn’t make the most sense from an economic sense but saves me checking my phone seemingly every 20 mins. 

Where did you see them for £350 if you don’t mind me asking? 

If a card suddenly appeared - and it was one that didn't make me want to throw up due to dubious aesthetics - then I'll put in a cheeky order. 

But, quite honestly the urge to keep checking has passed now.

I'm in full-on anticipation mode for the new Ryzen chips, and seeing what their new cards can do.

It's all very exciting...attempting to get any of it, less so :P 

1 hour ago, Trigg said:

there were/are a couple on Amazon Marketplace and if you have Prime there’s 20% off that yesterday and today. It’s a little bit pot luck, but probably less so than trying to buy a 3080. 

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I'd at least wait till the end of the month on that. If the delay to the 3070's means better availability and the AMD cards are decent you'd be mad to go for a 2070 Super right now, and I say that as an owner of one.

That’s the sensible play but I must want something better than my current 1080 for Cyberpunk and Watchdogs. 

I was just going to sell it when I finally got my hands on a 3080 and take the hit on the loss. 

18 minutes ago, milko said:

there were/are a couple on Amazon Marketplace and if you have Prime there’s 20% off that yesterday and today. It’s a little bit pot luck, but probably less so than trying to buy a 3080. 

Ah I see. I’ll take a look at lunch and see if I can find anything. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Trigg said:

If you mean a 2070 then I’m thinking of doing the same thing actually. I want a new card for Cyberpunk and I’m driving myself insane trying to get a 3080 right now. So figured I’d get a 2070 and sell it when I finally can get the 3080. 

Doesn’t make the most sense from an economic sense but saves me checking my phone seemingly every 20 mins. 

Amazon warehouse. I would hold pff though to the end of the month! 

I haven't read into the current situation much, due to naively thinking my upgrade time would be a simple like for like Ti upgrade sometime in the new year. Now I'm thinking this colossal fuck up will definitely effect that once supposed smooth and simple process. 

Are they having problems fabricating the chips and getting poor yields or is it completely covid related? I know covid will be playing a large part of the supply constraints but are there other problems. If it's something to do with Samsung's fab process then the link layton posted earlier in the thread about them swapping to TSMC hopefully bodes well for more production and better performance.

Need that 3080Ti/S.

43 minutes ago, Trigg said:

That’s the sensible play but I must want something better than my current 1080 for Cyberpunk and Watchdogs. 

I'm waiting on an upgrade for my 980 :(

As such, I'm sure the 2070 Super would be fine but even £350 is too close to the 3070 RRP really.

I got that Amazon Warehouse 2070 Super. I can always return it if the 3070 and/or AMD stuff miraculously turns out to be readily attainable, but if not then it's a good value stopgap.

5 minutes ago, milko said:

I'm waiting on an upgrade for my 980 :(

As such, I'm sure the 2070 Super would be fine but even £350 is too close to the 3070 RRP really.

That's the problem. I thought the older cards would drop a bit in price. But guessing the volume is just not there on new cards yet. 

Don't really *need* a new GPU yet I guess though. In fact don't really *need* an upgrade at all. Just nice to haves! The VR content seems to be running well enough on my GTX980ti card and the framerate is acceptable. It runs everything else well enough so glad I held of on an upgrade really. Sometimes not being able to get things gives you a bit of time to reflect on whether what you have is doing what it needs for you.

Also makes me feel a bit better that I aren't just buying things for the "sake of it". For the new shinies. Too many times I have bought tech. In particular gaming tech to just marvel at the new shinies for an hour or so and then just realise its the same old thing but prettier! :D It would be nice to have a smoother VR experience I guess but I don't really miss what I don't have and I'm happy with what I have a the moment! :D

At this rate I'll probably be happy with my 980Ti for another year or so....

57 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Hmm, yeah both those support DLSS 2.0 so you'd see the benefit going from a 1080 to a 2070 Super for sure. Tricky position to be in.

Yeah annoyingly so! 

If I see one on Amazon then I might just bite the bullet and get it. Otherwise I’ll wait till end of the month and see what’s what. 

If anyone sees a cheapish 2070 super on Amazon let me know please! 

The problem is that as we have seen with the 3080, the £469 RRP on the 3070 is likely to be irrelevant for all but a relative handful of lucky people scalpers. If the only vaguely attainable models are £530+, that £355 2070 Super doesn't look so bad.

9 minutes ago, The Fox said:

The problem is that as we have seen with the 3080, the £469 RRP on the 3070 is likely to be irrelevant for all but a relative handful of lucky people scalpers. If the only vaguely attainable models are £530+, that £355 2070 Super doesn't look so bad.

Agreed - I didn't hold off buying it on reliance of the 3070 btw. I think people will be lucky to get one under £550 for a good amount of time. I'm genuinely holding off due to Big Navi just to have a 4k 60 card to use and see where the land lays next year with the refreshes to see if I want to come back to Nvidia. 8GB vram on a £500 plus card doesn't sit right with me. 10 is just enough for comfortable 4k gaming with higher res textures for me. 8GB on a £350 card is a lot more acceptable.

43 minutes ago, milko said:

@Trigg it's here- https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-2070-Super-WINDFORCE/dp/B07X51LTKK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=2070&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1602668233&s=warehouse-deals&sr=8-2

20% off in the checkout takes it to £355. The 'completely new' as opposed to Warehouse Deals one is £470.

Thank you. Bought one! 

Now I can pick up a 3080  FE when they become more readily available/or when nvidia decide who’s actually going to sell them in Europe...

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion