IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

On 02/10/2020 at 09:27, Uzi said:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-3070-available-october-29/

3070 delayed to Oct 29th

This GPU company is really struggling to make GPU's huh?

I think everyone’s struggling to make everything at the moment. Probably delayed to get a few more ready for day one. 

Amazon have had 3080 drops all day. If you monitor the specific pages for the 3080s you might be quick enough to snag one. Gigabytes and TUFs have been on and off today. Mines still pending but it said Saturday Sunday. Even if it gets delayed I’ll Probably keep the order - if Amazon can’t get it to me nobody can. 

I think it's quite telling they used Borderlands 3, in a couple of ways. It shows their performance lead is probably very game dependent and that's an "AMD" comarketing deal where they've put a lot of effort into driver performance. It also shows how far behind they are in that regard - they're able to make this deals with oddly specific midtier games but Nvidia still has total dominance over the marketing, prerelease driver, RTX stuff. They've always been great at creating demand out of nothing to stiff their competitors or at least put them on the back foot and force them to adopt an alternative (Gsync, PhysX, RTX etc).

AMD now have a quarter of the CPU market according to the latest Steam hardware survey. That's huge for AMD and I hope they can use it to crowbar some market share for GPUs. It'd make sense given both new consoles are using AMD.

It'll all come down to value I expect. If it's 10% worse than the 3080 but 25% cheaper, that puts it in 3070 territory so it's a no brainer alternative for loads of people. It's really nice to see AMD come out swinging like this repeatedly.

Nah I'm alright, I was way past caring after the Very fiasco (still waiting for my refund incidentally). 

Here's what I can tell you about my adventures:

Overclockers: Scumbags. Selling stock that literally doesn't exist in this plane of reality to try and weather the current economic climate. Avoid like the plague. Had to fill in a fucking Google form to cancel which took several days. They then let people switch the card they'd ordered to skip the queues. They then shut down all discussion on their forums about it.

Ebuyer: Pretty crap. Website too slow to recognise that they're selling something that went out of stock ages ago. Easy enough to automatically cancel.

Alza: Looks like a website designed by Homer Simpson but was actually pretty slick. When I called to see if my order actually existed I got through very quickly and they automatically knew my order number based on my phone number without any annoying verification. 10/10 accent Czech girl let me down gently. She said it had gone out of stock but if I waited I would be first in line for the next batch. Then I very quickly got a refund and the order switched to cancelled. So I guess the warehouse are cancelling them and not doing preorders, which is fair enough. Couldn't really complain that much.

Very: They mislabelled the card so it didn't show up in search. Then they sold far more of them than they had in stock. Then they manually called everyone to check their orders were legit. Then they told everyone that the orders would be dispatching next day. Then they started cancelling orders at random with no relation to how early the orders went through or were charged for. They didn't cancel mine though. It took me four phone calls to get them to admit "the supplier" wasn't MSI and it was just their warehouse. They seem to communicate through scrying crystals and tea leaves. MSI themselves were very helpful on Twitter and many many people asked them to stop using Very as a supplier. Eventually Very told me the order probably wouldn't be coming any time soon, so I manually cancelled it. I'm still waiting for a refund 7 working days later. Then two days after I manually cancelled it I got an email saying they had to cancel it. They didn't send me the 20% off code that they were giving to other people. I would climb inside a rancid corpse and eat my way back out before using Very again for anything.

Amazon: Item was flapping in and out of stock all day, but always out of stock by the time I hit the buy button. Eventually I managed to get one ordered which initially said Sat/Sun but quickly went to delivery date unknown. However given that I've seen it flap in and out of stock quite a few times this week I'm still hopeful. Amazon CS were also helpful and told me that my order would take precedence over any new orders - so if I see it flap to in stock before mine picks up a delivery date, I know they're lying. They told me they wouldn't charge me until it dispatched and I told them they'd already charged me. They said sorry. I also used the wrong card by mistake and they were happy to switch it to the right one and process it as a refund-recharge type job without me losing my place in "the queue". That one was my mistake. I'm hanging onto it because I know that in theory there's no giant queue (as it in stock yesterday!) and that it's been coming in and out of stock pretty regularly up until today. I'll still try and get a TUF if I can though. Wish me luck.

Still waiting on the Very refund myself, so I’m with you with not trying to use them again.

I also find it highly annoying that the 20% off voucher I got from them only works on certain things and not for everything like it said on the message I got from them. 

Also, I’m not entirely sure why they bother having a customer service team as they literally just go into the account online and parrot everything you can find out for yourself.

10 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Power consumption too. If AMD can put something out that can compete with 3070/3080 performance without requiring the sacrifice of a small forest to power then they get my money.

image.png.f72c095af18b096bbc45666b5b3a46ec.png

It should realistically be within grasp of a 3080 from all the spec leaks this is what makes sense. DLSS is the main other consideration but at the moment i genuinely think the true price of picking up a 3080 will be around 750 plus. If big navi is around 600 ish it'll be very difficult to justify DLSS for an extra 100-150 as technically its no longer free performance in that consiferation. Its amazing performance but still only in a relative minority of games (although in the triple a sector where it is needed it is getting more common). 

The 16gb will be a nice bonus too

16 minutes ago, Moz said:

If stock levels are better it'll be the only choice, which could play hugely in their favour.

Gears, Borderlands a few others are listed on the AMD Gaming page and are part of comarketing deals (tressFX baby!) I'll be interested to see performance in games that haven't had that sort of attention from AMD.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/featured-games

Very true - everything to be taken with a pinch of salt but it definitely looks closer to a 3080 on average than a 3070/2080ti

It just needs to undercut the current rate of a 3080 which is £750plus by £100 - be readily available and it'll completely change the AMD mindshare for the higher end 

Still assuming there'll be some magical supply of 3080s that Nvidia and their partners find down the back of the sofa, some time around 28th Oct.

A roughly 3080 level card that's a) cheaper and b) less power hungry is a tempting proposition though. Of course, it'll get scalped to hell just like the 3080 though.

Exactly. If AMD come with a strong message of on par fps, a competitive price and have 100k units ready to ship. Then they might score big here. Nvidia have created a massive demand, but just aren't able to fill it. It all I think depends on how AMD have built their supply line. If it is pushed to the limits because of the consoles they may be a bit fucked, but if they've built in that capacity, then christ the turns may table. 

43 minutes ago, snowbind said:

Exactly. If AMD come with a strong message of on par fps, a competitive price and have 100k units ready to ship. Then they might score big here. Nvidia have created a massive demand, but just aren't able to fill it. It all I think depends on how AMD have built their supply line. If it is pushed to the limits because of the consoles they may be a bit fucked, but if they've built in that capacity, then christ the turns may table. 

This makes me somewhat naively hope that AMD do pull out a blinder of a gfx card, price it reasonably, and have stock to back it up with - such that Nvidia are suddenly left with a situation where they just ramped up 3080 production massively and have their glut of cards hit the market just when they'rere no longer the only show in town. 

...and therefore the price of those 3rd party Nvidia boards all drop down towards the FE RRP.

Even if AMD bring out an equal card to a 3080 I think I'm still going to pick a 3080 because my monitor has the GSync module, and I love the ideas of DLSS.

Do we have any details on how AMDs raytracing support looks?

3 hours ago, Moz said:

Aye, it's a shitty boomer company that deserves to die. Amazon is a corporate deathcult but at least they can sell you a product without it turning into a Greek tragedy. 

Boomer company? I thought they're basically what Littlewoods and Woolworths turned into.

The only PC part store I think is remotely decent is Scan. Helps that you get free postage if you sign up to the Hexus forums.

Overclockers are the scummiest of them all. Aria are also terrible.

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hearing the Very horror stories has me worried about my PS5 Pre-order with them now. :unsure:

2020 tech, like all things in this cursed year, is an utter shitshow.

Very are fine. They're getting bad mouthed in this thread for sure, and for good reason, but most of the time they are bang on. There are very few places where you can get a variety of kit for 12 months interest free without inflated prices.