NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

And they're giving some free stuff with it too! Admittedly, it's just the new Watchdogs game and a year's free Geforce Now membership, but it's better than what they usually do...which is nothing :) 

I sort of need AMD to announce a Ryzen 3 release date so I can make a plan.

I don't even need a new computer. I think I'm probably going to have to take myself out back and work myself over with a two by four or something because I'm being stupid.

4 minutes ago, layten said:

Lying

How depressingly on point.

I mean, it's sensible to buy one of these things, right? Brexit is just around the corner and picking up a 4080 from my local Techno-Barbarian conclave will probably cost me a literal arm and a leg. 

9 minutes ago, layten said:

The next gen consoles were left behind by a card Nvidia released 2 years ago.

But at a much higher price, and with much higher power consumption. Judging by this pricing and what we've seen of performance, I feel like the 3060 will be competitive with the PS5 at least, and probably significantly more powerful than the Series S GPU.

19 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Well, yeah. Consoles haven’t outperformed the fastest available PC components in decades, arguably. You’re spending twice as much as a console on a single component in a contest where simply having more lets you do better. Sky’s the limit.

We don't know what prices the new consoles will be coming in at. $500 seems like it's towards the lower end of what they will come in at. Not sure where you're getting "twice as much" from.

15 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I mean, it's sensible to buy one of these things, right? Brexit is just around the corner and picking up a 4080 from my local Techno-Barbarian conclave will probably cost me a literal arm and a leg. 

That's how I'm looking at it too. I don't see anything that will drive the price of these down further in the short to medium term, unless AMD wants to start a price war. I reckon they'll just decide to be happy with how many CPUs they'll sell to people buying new Nvidia cards. I do think it's going to be the most GPU you'll be able to buy for the price for quite some time.

Just now, carlospie said:

Will DF get to keep the cards they test? 

If they do they probably won't be able to tell us anything more until the standard review embargo lifts.

4 minutes ago, Meat said:

I wonder if the 3080/90 will hit 60fps+ on flight sim at 4K Ultra. I’ve seen the 2080ti get just over 30fps.

It will, in Digital Foundry's first look at 3080, they were getting close to double performance in lots of tests vs 2080. Unbelievable. 

5 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

£470.

It's bonkers.

Sorry, not read all the thread. I've been wanting to build a gaming rig for a few months but was told to hold fire for this and AMD's new range.

How soon for these new cards to effect the price point of the current range of cards? Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Sorry, not read all the thread. I've been wanting to build a gaming rig for a few months but was told to hold fire for this and AMD's new range.

How soon for these new cards to effect the price point of the current range of cards? Cheers. 

Well, considering the 3080 is about two weeks away, I expect it'll be affecting the prices now-ish. People on tech forums saying there's some crazy bargains to be had on ebay already. I mean, if you want to use ebay for a purchase like that.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's the state of HDR on PC like these days? Do most games which have it on console have it on PC?

No HDR on Forza Horizon 3 really wound me up.

HDR *does* work on FH3.

There's a bug, however, that HDR gets disabled if you set the in-game resolution to be the same as the desktop. Choosing a different resolution in settings and it works (go figure)

I use an LG OLED and I created a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel of 3840x1900 and HDR stays enabled.

Drove me nuts when I first set it up. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ForzaHorizon/comments/9eqck2/can_someone_confirm_a_horizon_3_pc_hdr_detail_for/

since I don't want 4K (1440p for me!) am I right in thinking I may as well only bother with the "cheap" one? And then it'll just be a decision between Nvidia's version or somebody like EVGA making one that can be super-boosted or something?

I think the internet is a bit dangerous and Five Hundred Pounds is still quite a lot of money!

29 minutes ago, Liamness said:

We don't know what prices the new consoles will be coming in at. $500 seems like it's towards the lower end of what they will come in at. Not sure where you're getting "twice as much" from.

I was hypnotised by that high end one (and the very high new performance ceiling), I hadn’t noticed how reasonable the low end one was. Still whole-console money but the performance to justify it, even before DLSS. They could probably do a DLSS Steambox that was twice as fast as the next gen consoles for half the price.

I’m still getting my head around the implications for the assumed performance per buck advantage of consoles.