NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

The most exciting thing in that photo is that the £10 Zelda Switch stand makes the perfect replacement for the rubbish Streamdeck stand. Holds it higher than your keyboard so you can stab at it easier and doesn't slide as much, either. If you use this idea I'll only charge a small fee.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-play-stand-the-legend-of-zelda-edition/11844858.html

Dark rumours on Reddit that eBuyer aren't following any sort of queue. Paranoid whispers abound that they're deliberately sending cards to people who paid the Currency Adjusted price first.

I haven't logged on to a single vendor today.

Whatever you do never buy a Samsung monitor. I had an ultra wide and  it went up and melted the screen, the bezels were white hot and my hand was like that bloke from raiders of the lost ark. 

Internet  is full of cases of monitors  and their TVs bursting into flames. 
If I hadn’t had been in the room the house would have gone up. 
had to sign an NDA in order to get a refund which took 3 months. 
fuck Samsung 

12 minutes ago, JoeK said:

So, we all prepared for the coming week of excitement, anticipation and eventual disappointment then?

I know I am! 

Oh yes, bring it on. 

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Anything big due this week apart from the Ryzen 5000 CPU announce?

The Nvidia store will get 1 3090 and 4 3080's. But only if you go via the Uzbekistan store.

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

That's fucked up.

edit - I'm now pretty annoyed that I've got P500a case sat here not doing much now that I'm coming around to the idea of skipping this round of processors and waiting for the 4080. I can't really be bothered to move my current computer into it, but it feels absurd having it sit around gathering dust. Even though it's not really gathering dust as it came in a really nice bag thing.

Now toying with the idea of waiting until the 5000 announcement, and trying to grab a B550/3700X combo reasonably cheap and to scratch the upgrade itch, but moar coars are always good. And then I slap myself because I know the next stage in my plan is going to be picking up a 3070FE to keep me going, and we all know that's not going to happen.

Hah.

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Whatever you do never buy a Samsung monitor. I had an ultra wide and  it went up and melted the screen, the bezels were white hot and my hand was like that bloke from raiders of the lost ark. 

Internet  is full of cases of monitors  and their TVs bursting into flames. 
If I hadn’t had been in the room the house would have gone up. 
fuck Samsung 

I am surprised that they could enforce an NDA as a pre-requirement to issuing a refund for a (presumably) warrantied monitor that caught fire as a result of a manufacturing fault. I'd have told them to fuck right off with that demand...

1 hour ago, layten said:

The Nvidia store will get 1 3090 and 4 3080's. But only if you go via the Uzbekistan store.

/switchesvpninreadiness

On the other hand all the Samsung teles and monitors I've ever had have been brilliant. Including the ultrawides.

Speaking of which I must get the G9 out of the box today. Also, gaming on the CRG9 (it's predecessor) is just fantastic so I expect it to be even better on this. 

But obviously I would also be pretty unhappy if that had happened to me of course. 

Anyway, back to the important things. That telegram link someone posted seems pretty good for stock updates though seems more Eurocentric than I'd like. 

I think I posted that. It started popping instantly last Thursday when the FE's went up. I'm pretty sure I only missed out because Nvidia's website is garbage. 

Anyway, I kind of feel like I'm out now. I feel the same way about the Xbox and the PS5. Brief launch-day madness attempts to preorder were so badly managed that it put me off any kind of early adopter buzz. I think I'll just wait and buy an entire new PC some time next year with the 20GB 3080 or whatever. Gonna pay a few bills in the meantime and batten down the hatches for Brexit.

Thanks for that. 

Anyway, here's what we're all planning to do when our cards arrive mid-week, it will be mid-week won't it, isn't it? 

Won’t bore you with the full story but they actually lost the monitor  conveniently on its return back to them. 
if I wasn’t in such a blind panic I should have filmed it and got a lawyer involved. 
the nda thing was a joke and shows what a corrupt piece of shit company they are. 

fingers crossed the new build arrives this week with the 3090 installed. 

31 minutes ago, Dave White said:

fingers crossed the new build arrives this week with the 3090 installed. 

Not if I find the courier first...

Fun story.

Gigabyte launched their highly anticipated Aorus Master 3080, which I think is the overclocked one? Anyway, the link on Newegg was being kept under wraps because of the whole bot situation.

The community rep in charge flubs the link and product code, and by the time humans are allowed to get a the card the stock is entirely gone, because of course it is. Botters scraping the site then let on that the launch stock for this card was a whopping 36 units.

What the fuck is going on?

10 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

What the fuck is going on?

2 weeks ago I was 100 percent planning to buy a 3080. No doubt whatsoever. Fully committed to 649.99

Now I am very content and happy to buy an AMD 6900XT if it meets the leaked expectations 

I'm sure I'm not alone - that's whats going on. Take my money dickheads - not my time, patience and sleep and punishing my human ability to hit buttons on a website

I don't understand the tech in any way, shape or form but surely it can't be impossible to work out something on these retail sites' software to stop bots from doing this.

Is it really that difficult to defend against this sort of thing?

I mean, I guess the stores might say they're concerned about it, but they do get their money either way.

Although the dramatic loss of good will (no-one's going to be buying their next GPU from Overclockers in a hurry) might mean more long term I guess.

35 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I don't understand the tech in any way, shape or form but surely it can't be impossible to work out something on these retail sites' software to stop bots from doing this.

I mean, I guess the stores might say they're concerned about it, but they do get their money either way.

Although the dramatic loss of good will (no-one's going to be buying their next GPU from Overclockers in a hurry) might mean more long term I guess.

I mean it possible to try.  But the stores will lose against the bots.

In fact trying to do so more than they do would only make you even more angry. It’s a race between their site devs and the bot makers. Every change the site devs make to prevent a bot will risk breaking something be it making the site slower or detecting lots of normal people as bots. The bot makers can be fast and agile. They can change to get around changes in hours, if not minutes.

Assume the bots click buttons on the page. You might think they do this by its position, but that’s unlikely. They will be using meta data in the page code to find the right button to click or field to put data in. Now maybe you could try removing or changing some of that meta data. But whilst you might manage to do so you may now have broken your side for anyone who is visually impaired who uses screen reading software to find these same elements.

I think the solution has to be in analysis of the purchase itself. Like multiple orders to the same address and similar. But I suspect they already do some of that and these people are avoiding it somehow.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

It's impossible to defend against them. Practically anything a person can do in a browser can be automated, and even if you manage to work something in that can't be automated you can make it so there only needs to be a human for that part. So while real customers are putting things in baskets, filling in forms, and doing the anti-bot bit, scalpers only need to do the anti-bot bit because they automated the rest. They will *always* be quicker.

There is a solution though. Shops could let customers pre-order and then just fulfil a randomised selection of orders with however many cards they have to sell.

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion