IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

Just now, Links said:

That's the UK pricing that's just gone up on the Nvidia site. 

Even better value as I was expecting closer to a straight dollar to pound conversion.

New PC sometime in October I think, assuming the cards are available in anything like the numbers needed. Almost certainly no new Xbox this gen for me then and the PS5 needs a substantial redesign before I buy that just for Demon’s Souls...

15 minutes ago, layten said:

The 90 is the Titan replacement. This is what I posted a few days ago in the PC building thread.

So if I understand it right the 3090 will be the most powerful card for the foreseeable future. But if you don’t need 24gb of memory you can save quite a bit and wait for the 3080ti. Would having all that extra memory make a significant difference for just a gamer?

Good points re: MS going to where their customers are rather than vice versa these days. I guess I was lumping "consoles" in together. Nvidia is definitely taking a shot at them and Sony with this pricing though, even if MS are probably happy either way.

9 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I knew I should've sold my 2080 before this presentation. (And not bought it in the first place; needed a new GPU at the time.)

Good time to be fishing around on the used market - I do think the 10 / 20 series cards will be good for quite a few years yet, depending on your requirements of course.

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Link? Can't see that anywhere on the GB site.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/buy/

Right up on the store, my dude.

I dunno, but I'm feeling those prices at the moment - my invoice from Ebuyer says that I ended up forking out £418 for my 1070 MSI Gaming X back in June 2016. buying the equivalent for £470 isn't a massive push, all things considered.

4 minutes ago, Siri said:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/buy/

Right up on the store, my dude.

Thanks. I must have a caching issue, as when I click your link I do indeed see the right page, but if I go straight to the nVidia geforce site I still see the video of Jensen, and the geforce page layout is totally different and only has 2080Ti and down.

28 minutes ago, layten said:

The 90 is the Titan replacement. This is what I posted a few days ago in the PC building thread.

I'll be curious to see if AMD and RDNA 2 is actually going to be good enough that Nvidia need to have some sort of response ready. I just don't see them making that sort of massive leap forward.  

Wierd, it was still only showing the 20 series cards when I checked a second ago.

The 3070 is actually cheaper than they said! Only by £10, but still.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year in terms of the lower tier cards. They could be very affordable, judging by this. Will also be interesting to see if there are non-RTX variants.

This slide only got a few seconds, but is clearly aimed at the PS5 (and XSX) super fast custom SSD hardware.  Hopefully it can do the same generational leap!

Screen-Shot-2020-09-01-at-9.23.39-AM-2-1440x810.png

And I hope they release this as a "playable" demo/toy to show off with

3 minutes ago, Valver said:

This slide only got a few seconds, but is clearly aimed at the PS5 (and XSX) super fast custom SSD hardware.  Hopefully it can do the same generational leap!

Screen-Shot-2020-09-01-at-9.23.39-AM-2-1440x810.png

Doesn't entirely make sense though - I don't believe there is any bus on the motherboard that can take data straight from storage to PCIe devices? Which is not the situation with the new consoles. Maybe there is some creativity going on here. If it's just the CPU offloading to dedicated decompression hardware on the GPU, then I guess it would still be a significant improvement, but it's still using up some CPU time / bandwidth so the diagram isn't exactly completely honest.

27 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Good time to be fishing around on the used market - I do think the 10 / 20 series cards will be good for quite a few years yet, depending on your requirements of course.

Oh, it'll still be a good card, especially if DLSS 2.0 gains traction; Control internally rendering at 720p with full ray tracing looks fantastic. I can just practically see my 2080 FE shedding the pounds, and not in a good way.

25 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

“8K60*“ is some inspired PR.

*via DLSS

I mean, if these AI upscaler things offer better than native image quality, and the processing requirements no longer scale linearly, why not just go whole hog and support absurd futureproofed resolutions now?

The whole upsell thing of one increase every five years kind of goes out of the window, although not for the screens themselves.

23 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's the state of HDR on PC like these days? Do most games which have it on console have it on PC?

No HDR on Forza Horizon 3 really wound me up.

Still a mixed bag I think, but the two games that really stood out for me were Gears 5, and more recently Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

AC Odyssey on PC is the best example of HDR for me, better than anything on the PS4 and XBox One.

Well fuck. That's a lot of power for a really reasonable price.

God DAMMIT.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean, if these AI upscaler things offer better than native image quality, and the power requirements no longer scale linearly, why not just go whole hog and support absurd futureproofed resolutions now?

The whole upsell thing of one increase every five years kind of goes out of the window, although not for the screens themselves.

DLSS 2.0 is really scary. Death Stranding looked better with it on than off.

2 minutes ago, bignige said:

GEFORCE RTX™ NVLINK® BRIDGE

(FOR 30 SERIES PRODUCTS). 

Am I likely to be out of luck with a mini ITX build? It houses a full sized 5700 XT. 

NVLink is just for datacentres basically, ignore it.

Looks like the 3080 and 70 are both the same size or smaller than a 5700 XT tbh.

6 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Doesn't entirely make sense though - I don't believe there is any bus on the motherboard that can take data straight from storage to PCIe devices? Which is not the situation with the new consoles. Maybe there is some creativity going on here. If it's just the CPU offloading to dedicated decompression hardware on the GPU, then I guess it would still be a significant improvement, but it's still using up some CPU time / bandwidth so the diagram isn't exactly completely honest.

The CPU is still the PCIe switch, just like it is in the PS5. I guess part of the new Directstorage API is to allow DMA transfers from storage to gfx card with minimal to no CPU involvement.

31 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's the state of HDR on PC like these days? Do most games which have it on console have it on PC?

No HDR on Forza Horizon 3 really wound me up.

The HDR implementation is a bit rubbish - loads of games don't let you use HDR if HDR isn't turned on within windows, for example.

The bigger issue is finding monitors that are true HDR. You need to plug your PC into a TV really.

8 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean, if these AI upscaler things offer better than native image quality, and the processing requirements no longer scale linearly, why not just go whole hog and support absurd futureproofed resolutions now?

It’s a real step change technology. It puts nVidia about five years ahead - or it will when it’s inevitably brought down to even the lowest end cards.

Surely some of this new tech is going to drip down to the next Switch?

I'm just glad I managed to hold onto my company during the absolute shitstorm that has been 2020. I'll make a 20% saving at checkout "because I need one for work". ;p

All the talk about the new 12-pin connector - not on any of the new cards so far. Looking at the spec sheet for the 3090, it's actually fine with a 750w psu and two 8-pin connectors in it. 

So what the heck is that 12-pin connector for...hmm!