NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

There are a lot of complainers bitching about the 3090 having poor increased performance for games when they were previously considering shelling out a ton of money for it - while simultaneously not doing doing the most rudimentary research on their huge purchase so they know what the card's intended for. Fools and their money. 

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

https://www.techradar.com/news/some-people-are-running-into-some-serious-rtx-3080-problems

Mmmmmm. Perhaps them being hard to get at the moment is a blessing :) Trying to stay positive during the wait here .... :)

https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-real-what-can-be-investigative-within-the-crashes-and-instabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

tl;dr OEM's cheapening out on the power circuitry is to blame.

Still pondering over all this.

Have a first gen Ryzen based system so actually thinking that a 3080 card would be wasted on my setup at the moment as I don't really want to do a full system upgrade.

Looking around I thought the prices of 2080Ti's might have dropped a bit with the recent events but they are still over a grand - insane. I have the offer of a second hand one for £600 but not 100% about spending so much on second hand electronics.

Think I should perhaps leave any upgrades to next year and see how things pan out. I have a 980Ti in my system at the moment which seems to be doing OK at 1080p/1440. So no massive hardship waiting.  First world problems eh?!

I mean AMD have yet to play their next card with the PC variant of their console GPU, which I expect will release early next year. Also games aren't going to take advantage of all this GPU horsepower for a while.

Waiting is always a good thing with tech I guess
Gets cheaper usually and more powerful. The software seems to take a while to catch up with everything. 

15 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Still pondering over all this.

Have a first gen Ryzen based system so actually thinking that a 3080 card would be wasted on my setup at the moment as I don't really want to do a full system upgrade.

Looking around I thought the prices of 2080Ti's might have dropped a bit with the recent events but they are still over a grand - insane. I have the offer of a second hand one for £600 but not 100% about spending so much on second hand electronics.

Think I should perhaps leave any upgrades to next year and see how things pan out. I have a 980Ti in my system at the moment which seems to be doing OK at 1080p/1440. So no massive hardship waiting.  First world problems eh?!

I mean AMD have yet to play their next card with the PC variant of their console GPU, which I expect will release early next year. Also games aren't going to take advantage of all this GPU horsepower for a while.

Waiting is always a good thing with tech I guess
Gets cheaper usually and more powerful. The software seems to take a while to catch up with everything. 

Knowing who owned the 2080ti is a big difference. Top level cards are frequently either thrashed to within an inch of their lives or basically never used. 

I do think that buying a card that’s a jump ahead of the consoles can’t be overvalued though. You’re good at least until the Series X Pro is out. That’s a lot of time to get around to a complete system rebuild. 

Well decided the best thing for me to do right now is to do a system update - its been around 4 years so time to replace the 1st gen Ryzen 5 with a 3rd gen Ryzen 7 and go for a X570 chipset board and get 32GB of faster memory. I will keep the 980Ti for a while longer and see what AMD come up with next year for graphics cards. I can then reassess the situation. At least my system will be ready for whatever comes up over the next year or so.

I like the idea of going with a AMD GPU this time around actually as well the new consoles are using the tech so should have more performance parity and exceed that of the consoles. :)

Meanwhile order cancelled at Overclockers. One less on the queue I guess. :)  

25 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Which x570 board did you go for?

AMD are announcing the next gen of Ryzen processors in about two weeks, you know. It may have meant a more powerful one for you or a price drop on the 3700x. 

Gigabyte one. Supports 3rd gen Ryzen processors. (https://www.cclonline.com/product/288357/X570-GAMING-X/Motherboards/Gigabyte-X570-GAMING-X-AMD-Socket-AM4-X570-Chipset-ATX-Motherboard/MBD2657/).

Its fine there is *never* a good time to buy PC bits always something new around the corner!

Got £30 off my processor anyway so perhaps that is why it is discounted .....

https://www.cclonline.com/product/320494/100-100000279WOF/CPU-Processors/AMD-Ryzen-7-3800XT-3-9GHz-Octa-Core-Processor-with-8-Cores-16-Threads-105W-TDP-36MB-Cache-4-7GHz-Turbo-No-Cooler/CPU0670/

That is the processor I went for. Should be good for a bit now and whatever GPUs get released over the next year!

I think I've more or less decided on an MSI Tomahawk motherboard at this point. We know there's going to be no x670 this year, and the x570 is EOL.

The Tomahawk is solid, has all the features I want and is relatively cheap for a 'premium' motherboard. With the x670 and all likely to be carrying DDR5, it doesn't feel prudent to be spending too much on something that's at the end of it's life.

I'm actually quite wary of ordering things and having them sit around in case they're DOA and I don't know. I'm giving some serious thought to just picking up a 3100 processor and chucking it in there to tide me over.

8 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

ooh snap. I've ordered the P500a too. Not due until 20th of frakkin Oct at OCuk

They're in stock at CaseKing.de, whom I understand to be reputable, and their site has an 'English Mode'.

3 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Thought about getting a new CPU/mobo combo as am still on PCIe3.

Thing is, the faster Intel CPUs don’t do PCIe4 properly yet and the AMD ones that do don’t appear powerful enough vs high end Intel.

Best to wait and see for a while I reckon 

The amd ones are almost imperceptibly close to the intel for far less money. 

“The best graphics card that could have been”.

good explanation here as to what the issues are. Essentially some manufacturers are using cheaper components which introduce too much ‘noise’ when the card is over clocked and cause the cards to short out. The fix, if there is one, will be updated vbios which reduces the over clock potential of the card. 

The only one he found not to have cheaped out is the ASUS TUF, which went with the more expensive parts configuration.

These AIB's that have cheaped out on components surely must have had some idea of what they've been doing? How come ASUS on their TUF line that isn't even the most expensive one could afford MLCC's in all 6 positions? Seems some companies just got overly greedy this time. 

Zotac Trinity owner here.  While I've had no problems so far, and I don't really plan to overclock (120fps Vs 130fps matters little to me), it's still a bit of a shitter knowing they cheaped out.  Still, the 5 year warranty and UK RMA center helps allay some worry.

2 hours ago, krenzler said:

These AIB's that have cheaped out on components surely must have had some idea of what they've been doing? How come ASUS on their TUF line that isn't even the most expensive one could afford MLCC's in all 6 positions? Seems some companies just got overly greedy this time. 

Seems like ASUS was originally going to use the cheaper solution but found issues in testing and swapped out for all MLCC's at the last minute as their promotional shots for the TUF line show they were using 6 SP-Caps to begin with. EVGA meanwhile delayed their launch to change from all SP-Caps to 4 SP-Caps and 2 banks of MLCC's. Seeing how ASUS had TUF boards available day 1 I imagine they were one of the first to detect the issue and we able to react in time and quickly change to the other configuration. You have to wonder how much NVIDIA knew once this issue was starting to be detected and if they informed all manufacturers or some of them were in the dark at launch. 

3 hours ago, Moz said:

I would definitely wait for the new AMD CPUs for desktop. 

TBH they'll be more expensive and not sure if they will make a huge difference at the level I'm going in at. I usually skip a couple of generations anyway and pick up at the point just before new stuff is announced as older stuff is discounted slightly whilst still giving me a nice boost over my existing setup.

You are never at the cutting edge for more than 3 months these days it seems. And you could play the waiting game forever :)

As long as you are happy with the price you are paying for the performance you want then just go for it I say.

I'd be buying a GPU too however need to reign in the spending a bit at the moment. That can come next year! 

But ASUS didn't have to switch all 6 with the FE being 2/4 and the reference PCB 1/5 but they did anyway. Perhaps not being sure and going all in for peace of mind? Will we see an "updated" TUF with 2/4 down the line to save some cost? No idea how much these add pr unit over the cheaper solution?