NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

So, as I’m not likely to get a 30 series anymore, what’s the view on a 2070s for building a 144Hz 3440x1440 machine around?

Will I be heavily GPU bound on something like Doom Eternal, MSFS or CP2077 if I lob an I9-9900 in there?

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

So, as I’m not likely to get a 30 series anymore, what’s the view on a 2070s for building a 144Hz 3440x1440 machine around?

Will I be heavily GPU bound on something like Doom Eternal, MSFS or CP2077 if I lob an I9-9900 in there?

Why can't you just wait for a 30XX series?

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

Doom Eternal will fly on that setup at 1440p. CP 2077 will also probably run very nice too. As Fallows says though, might be best to cool your jets and wait for the 3070. It's supposedly comparable with the 2080 ti and I can attest that that runs Doom Eternal like shit off a stick at 4K. I have a 9900k too, beast of a cpu. Again though, people say the smart money is on something from AMD if you're yet to buy a cpu, maybe go for a PCie 4 mobo etc.

EDIT. Just seen you want 144hz, unsure at that frame rate but if it's a Gsync screen you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I have a 1440p 144hz screen as well as a good 65" tv. Doom does run at a fair old lick on the monitor too, with Gsync enabled, Ultra Nightmare, well above 100 fps. Don't notice any lurches. 2080 ti mind.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Wait until the release of 3070 or 28th October. 20 series prices have shot back up due the fucked 3080 situation and they are a bad buy. 

We are less than one week after launch of one card . Its shit but you don't need to resort to overpriced 2018 video cards. 

A bad buy is a stretch. They're still great cards. If you found a 2070s around 200 to 250 you'd be gaming excellently for years.

Don't over pay but also don't think that 20xx cards are suddenly shit because of the 30 series. 

There will be plenty of bargains to be had soon enough.

15 minutes ago, amc said:

A bad buy is a stretch. They're still great cards. If you found a 2070s around 200 to 250 you'd be gaming excellently for years.

Don't over pay but also don't think that 20xx cards are suddenly shit because of the 30 series. 

There will be plenty of bargains to be had soon enough.

Cheapest buy it now 2070 Super is £380

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2070+super&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15

They are currently a bad buy because the second hand prices have gone up following the poor stock of the 3080. It is literally the worst time to buy them - prices will drop once supply opens back up

They're not suddenly shit but why settle for second best when the 3080 will be back in stock soon? Soon may mean a month, two or maybe even three but hold out and it'll be worth it. Or you've even got the 3070, and there won't be much difference in price between one of those and a new 2070. You'd be mad to buy a 2xxx series card right now. It's impatience, is all. 

Won't be that price for much longer. At that time they'll become a good value proposition. Now at silly money, yeah obviously a swerve. 

If I was smart I'd have my 2080 ti up on there but fuck it, I'll game well enough until the new year when things have settled and perhaps something else gets revealed from Jensen's oven.

20 minutes ago, amc said:

Won't be that price for much longer. At that time they'll become a good value proposition. Now at silly money, yeah obviously a swerve. 

If I was smart I'd have my 2080 ti up on there but fuck it, I'll game well enough until the new year when things have settled and perhaps something else gets revealed from Jensen's oven.

That's what I mean - they are a bad buy right now. By the time they're not £470 3070's should be readily available. Buying a 2070 super now near to 400 would be folly

Thanks all. I can see how it might look like impatience to you all who I’m guessing already have your gaming PC. But I’ve been jonesing for this machine, most of which I have, and had planned for a Zen 3 CPU and a 3080 (or at worst 3070) to put in it. So October will be fine, and I wasn't planning on buying a 20xx imminently,

But after the 3080/PS5/XSX madness, I’m worried that getting any 30xx for close to RRP before CP2077 releases (or even by January) could be unlikely.

I ain’t that patient. Hence the plan would be to buy a cheap 20xx (that wouldn’t utterly hobble my system) and take the resale hit on it next year for a 30xx Ti etc.

7 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Thanks all. I can see how it might look like impatience to you all who I’m guessing already have your gaming PC. But I’ve been jonesing for this machine, most of which I have, and had planned for a Zen 3 CPU and a 3080 (or at worst 3070) to put in it. So October will be fine, and I wasn't planning on buying a 20xx imminently,

But after the 3080/PS5/XSX madness, I’m worried that getting any 30xx for close to RRP before CP2077 releases (or even by January) could be unlikely.

I ain’t that patient. Hence the plan would be to buy a cheap 20xx (that wouldn’t utterly hobble my system) and take the resale hit on it next year for a 30xx Ti etc.

I've had no gpu since July :lol: if you have consoles and a backlog you could save some money by waiting for the additional options in October to hit and reassess then. 

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

I don't have a pc. I have a six year old laptop. I'm building the PC from scratch; it's something I've wanted to do for years and the 3080 reveal finally pushed me over the edge into getting back into pc gaming so I'll wait until I have it. 

38 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don't have a pc. I have a six year old laptop. I'm building the PC from scratch; it's something I've wanted to do for years and the 3080 reveal finally pushed me over the edge into getting back into pc gaming so I'll wait until I have it. 

Welcome back! A lot has changed over the years. For the better! 

The wait for the 3080 will be tortuous I've waited around 5 years for a suitable card upgrade after I bought my GTX 970. 

Really excited to be getting a decent new card. Feel like a child again waiting for Christmas. In fact I'm happy I can't get a card just yet. I strangely like to wait as it does build up excitement. Will be the best Christmas gift ever if it arrives before the big day. Might even get the other half to wrap it up! :)

11 hours ago, Isaac said:

It's only gone and fucking shipped, with a tracking number and everything!!!! Its coming tomorrow.

:omg:

7drHiqr.gif.0fb781937cb7d1977de6019f7c9e7621.gif

How much do you want for it 

11 hours ago, jonamok said:

The 30 series are restocking, albeit slowly, every single day.

I can only recommend eBuyer as a good option at the moment, given that their stock backend seems to be updating daily. You do need to add the card to cart to get a proper, up to date read on the stock though.

You could get lucky too - Resetera is full of people who randomly caught one of the newer (non-preordered) variants hitting a retailer recently.

At 4am this morning for example eBuyer had extremely limited stock of Palit, Zotac, PNY and Gigabyte at checkout if you went for next day delivery - it's now on preorder again but I imagine they're just reupping regularly.

As someone who has a card coming today from eBuyer through adding them to basket and refreshing every now and then until one showed in stock, I can only vouch that this approach works.

I'm waiting on some full in reviews of the 3090 now. It was genuinely fun to watch Linus get so enthusiastic about running Doom on a gigantic 8k screen, but the reality is that that use case scenario in the real world is probably under 1%!

Still, exciting though :P

16 hours ago, Uzi said:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-3080?p=1

Overclockers have jacked up all of their prices AGAIN

Expect this statement from them and Scan soon

Overclockers have always been scummy. They’re often barely able to conceal their contempt for their customers on their forums. 

Sadly, OEMs still give them preference in the UK market. 

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

I toyed with a similar idea. I’ve a Vega 56 and considered maybe getting a second hand 2070 variant to tide me over until the new 30** cards become more readily available. After looking at the going rate for 2070’s that idea was soon forgotten about. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Weavus said:

To no great surprise, amazon.de cancelled my Zotac order.

Mine too. I'm surprised really - sure it's a massive stack of pre-orders but nobody was being charged for them until they shipped and could cancel at any time. Surely it's a problem that would have just sorted itself out over the fullness of time.

Ah well.

12 minutes ago, Weavus said:

To no great surprise, amazon.de cancelled my Zotac order.

Same. Back to square one.  FUCK

Amazon have been atrocious. Normally they keep backorders for things but I'm guessing NVIDIA said no lol

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Amazon have been atrocious. Normally they keep backorders for things but I'm guessing NVIDIA said no lol

I honestly don't get why though. Why would you cancel a chunk of guaranteed sales of your expensive thing? No intention of creating that many things? It can't be a pure "no preorders" mandate as plenty of others sites are running them. It just makes no sense.

9 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I honestly don't get why though. Why would you cancel a chunk of guaranteed sales of your expensive thing? No intention of creating that many things? It can't be a pure "no preorders" mandate as plenty of others sites are running them. It just makes no sense.

Amazon just can't be arsed with the hassle of all the customer support for such a large backlog of orders. They will instantly sell what they get in anyway so its easier for them to just cancel all the 20,000 orders and not have to have a team of people answering the same question about when it will ship.

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion