NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

24 minutes ago, Weavus said:

Doesn’t really matter, the people who it’s aimed at don’t care about cost vs performance.

I thought it was essentially a rebranding of what would have been this generation's Titan anyway? Interesting to see that TFLOPs doesn't scale linearly with realworld practical performance either, neither does the 20% extra shader units the RTX 3090 has. Utilisation bottlenecks I assume.

1 hour ago, layten said:

That's a big YIKES from me. Looks like I'll be sticking with the 2080ti until Nvidia are forced to release a 20GB 3080Super by AMD not being shit from once (we can hope lol).

Do you really believe in that layten? ;) 

3 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Do you really believe in that layten? ;) 

You'd like to think that one day AMD will surprise us by launching a world-beating GPU...Don't think it'll be this year, but you never know :P

2 hours ago, layten said:

That's a big YIKES from me. Looks like I'll be sticking with the 2080ti until Nvidia are forced to release a 20GB 3080Super by AMD not being shit from once (we can hope lol).

A great card for content creation I guess.

are you saying the last great ATI card was pre AMD?

Just now, SeanR said:

was that R200? cos the 9800pro, surely?

or maybe the AIW variant.

R300

9800pro was just a refresh of the 9700. The 9700pro was a complete revolution when it was released.

Will a 20GB card be better for running games at 4K - future proof wise? Isn't only worth it for editing?

I mean with DLSS or no AA at all - you don't even need that much ram do you? I wouldn't gain low frames (sub 60fps) by adding more ram would i?

I had completely forgot about the 9700 Pro, I just Googled it for nostalgia and came across this review on CNET 

When a single-chip video card requires its own internal power cable, you get the impression that it's a monster. ATI's Radeon 9700 Pro represents a major architectural evolution, and it packs serious raw power, stellar image quality, DirectX 9 compliance, AGP 8X, and features that games don't even use yet. Of course, as a high-end, $399 card, it's primarily intended for early adopters who can't wait to drop it in an already fast PC. 

Millions and millions
The graphics processor is made up of a whopping 110 million transistors using a conventional .15-micron manufacturing process. To put that in perspective, a Northwood Pentium 4 is composed of about 55 million transistors using a smaller .13-micron process, while the next-biggest graphics chip, Matrox's Parhelia, has 80 million. The result of having a chip so large and complex is that it needs extra power provided by an internal drive power connector, such as the one that 3dfx's dual-chip Voodoo5 used. The extra power ensures stability since at its peak performance, the Radeon 9700 can exceed the power spec for the AGP slot. ATI does include a splitter, and it's a quite simple step to connect it to the power cables inside a PC's case. 

The core clock flies at a frequency of 325MHz. The 256-bit DDR memory runs at an effective speed of 620MHz, and the extrawide data paths provide about double the memory bandwidth of a Radeon 8500 or GeForce4 Ti card. Between the high frequencies and the new architectural features, the Radeon 9700 harnesses a tremendous amount of raw power that's especially noticeable at higher resolutions. While at a low resolution of 800x600, the Radeon 9700 is about even with current cards, which themselves aren't stressed at low resolutions. However, when you move to the lofty resolutions of 1,280x1,024 and 1,600x1,200, it stands above all others. The difference is even greater when antialiasing is turned on. 

I was going to say simpler times, but rose tinted specs aside, it really wasn’t. PC building and gaming was hugely exciting though, nothing can take that away. 

13 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Will a 20GB card be better for running games at 4K - future proof wise? Isn't only worth it for editing?

I mean with DLSS or no AA at all - you don't even need that much ram do you? I wouldn't gain low frames (sub 60fps) by adding more ram would i?

Doom Eternal is an interesting example of this question in practice. With everything at 11, 8GB VRAM runs out of memory and causes performance dips. You are forced to turn down the texture setting to avoid that problem.

Is 10GB good for 4K until the end of this upcoming console gen? I wouldn't bet on it, if 8GB isn't enough at the end of this console gen for games.

Dropping the real rendering resolution or reducing settings is side-stepping the question.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Currys apparently put the Ventus 3080 cards up at 5am this morning, for a few lucky people who managed to grab one.

Do you have a source for that? My stock checking script ran every minute and didn't detect a change in availability this morning.

50 minutes ago, Weavus said:

Do you have a source for that? My stock checking script ran every minute and didn't detect a change in availability this morning.

Resetera / discord. Several people have said they got one.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Doom Eternal is an interesting example of this question in practice. With everything at 11, 8GB VRAM runs out of memory and causes performance dips. You are forced to turn down the texture setting to avoid that problem.

Is 10GB good for 4K until the end of this upcoming console gen? I wouldn't bet on it, if 8GB isn't enough at the end of this console gen for games.

Dropping the real rendering resolution or reducing settings is side-stepping the question.

probably? Your Xbox Series X and PS5 have 16GB total. 10GB of that is suitable for fastest access on the Series X, and although the PS5 doesn’t have that limit, it’s still got only 60% of the memory bandwidth (and a couple of GB will be reserved for the system, and the game has to go somewhere). It’ll really depend on direct storage though.

in any case, it’s a top tier graphic card, so you’re really looking for it to be excellent for two years, then competitive with a mid to high tier card in the three year timeframe, and superseded entirely in four years. The venn diagram of people prepared to spend £700 on a graphics card for their PC, and the Venn diagram of people expecting to buy a Pc and not change pretty much all of it over eight years, seems unlikely to have much of an intersection.

Well, after Scan took my money then said my card would be shipped Monday, they sent me the email below just now. I literally got my order confirmation email on launch day, then an email to say my payment had gone through on Saturday, then it said it was ready for "picking".

Hi,

Thank you for your order from Scan.

We are writing to inform you of a delay due to a temporary shortage in stock of the following item:

1.LN110437 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Trinity Ampere Graphics Card

This product is still on pre-order. We expect to receive more stock on 30 October 2020.

Should you require any further information or assistance, or wish to make any amendments to your order, please reply to this email.

Rest assured your custom is greatly valued and your complete order will be automatically despatched as soon as stock is available. We will send you further emails to confirm the successful completion and despatch.

End of October. Wow.

I've got a TUF on order with Alternate as a backup in case I can't score an FE before Cyberpunk. It's not sounding like much of a backup at this point, but there we go..

23 minutes ago, Sumire said:

1.LN110437 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Trinity Ampere Graphics Card

This product is still on pre-order. We expect to receive more stock on 30 October 2020.

The deceptive thing here is they don't say how many stock they are expecting to receive on the 30th October. 5? Enough to cover all the orders they took full payment for?

2 minutes ago, Weavus said:

The deceptive thing here is they don't say how many stock they are expecting to receive on the 30th October. 5? Enough to cover all the orders they took full payment for?

Yeah, that is it, come October they might say they cannot get one even then, so yeah, not sure what to do. I do not think they will commit to saying I will definitely get one of course.

Scan just seem to be guessing right now. Everyone is getting told something different. I think many people didn't really care which card they got, so now its the luck of the draw which you picked and when that manufacturer sends them stock rather than just one big queue.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

October? Yikes. I'm better off just buying the rest of my build now, really, aren't I, rather than expecting to get one of these on Friday coming :lol:

you could wait for zen 3?

though that may also be an availability shit show

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

It's a huge mess. Surely a pre-order and queueing system benefits everyone involved? Imagine how much stress both retail and manufacturing are under with all of this demand.

there is a preorder queuing system. It’s just per model, you pay all the money upfront, and you have no idea where you are in the queue or what stock might turn up. Or even get built.

even better, some vendors have deliberately sabotaged their £649 cards.

1 minute ago, footle said:

you could wait for zen 3?

though that may also be an availability shit show

I've already bought my cpu, a ryzen 3700x. I was going to buy the graphics card on Friday then a few bits at the end of October and finish it off end of November, but I might end up doing that backwards now due to stock issues. 

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

End of October. Wow.

I've got a TUF on order with Alternate as a backup in case I can't score an FE before Cyberpunk. It's not sounding like much of a backup at this point, but there we go..

The TUF cards seem like the best build and priced of all the ones not available right now. Gleaned from in-depth teardowns on the Tube. ASUS did good with the 3080 series it seems. At least the TUF's.

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion