NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Just spoke to Scan chat and they confirmed mine is now classed as pre-order. They are waiting on an ETA from their supplier and he doesn't know if any stock will be arriving.  They "can't" say where I am in the queue as it is automated.

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

So these Founder Editions then, do Nvidia typically just do a single launch run of them and then leave the market to the third parties, or do they continue to manufacture them throughout the lifecycle of the card? Apologies for stupid questions, I'm a bit new to this (the last time I bought a PC it had a TNT2 Ultra)

the 1080, everything at launch was founders: created by all the third parties. Not sure after that.

Horrible for anyone who has their order cancelled, I believe you took a punt on a couple of places UZI so hopefully you're still good, but I have to say what with talking about scalpers over on Ebay, who let's be honest cause these fuck-ups for genuine purchasers, that I'd love to be seeing a few of those chancer faces getting similar cancelation confirmation.

Rubbing their hands with a half a dozen confirmation emails, thinking of all that sweet scalper cash, only to get an email from the retailer telling them to jog on.

I don't mind a bit of capitalism but this shit just spoils proper people's day, so fuck 'em if it happens.

20 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Aaaand amazon just cancelled this. Not surprised. Oh well. 

Mine's still up! That'll be because I'm getting one and not that I'm 350,000 people lower in the order queue than you are and the mail server is still chewing through.

2 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Has a single person here got a confirmed order out for delivery yet?

From this and a bunch of posts on Reddit, it really does seem that there were about 20 cards, globally - I'm going to assume that there'll be a lot of scalpers having to explain to people that their guaranteed pre-order that they sold for double to triple the cost of the card isn't actually coming through and there's no no ETA. In the end, I'd like stores to make better use of Captcha stuff, but it's probably going to be better to remove myself from the "day one" mentality - I mean, I was pretty disappointed yesterday and I wasn't even shopping for myself on this one.

Still, I've got my order for the Oculus Quest 2 in for Day One. Facebook can harvest my thoughts and sell them to Nvidia so they know how sad I am.

It really has been a shit show like. Scan has taken my money, but I am guessing the card will arrive when the planets align as Apophis passes by, whilst someone at Nvidia sacrifices a small goat, on the alter of the moon god. 

Does anyone know how quiet the RTX3080 is? I'm thinking of upgrading from my GTX970. I saw yesterday there was an offer to get some of the first ones cheaper oddly enough but i only saw it too yesterday night after it was gone unfortunately. 

22 minutes ago, amc said:

Horrible for anyone who has their order cancelled, I believe you took a punt on a couple of places UZI so hopefully you're still good, but I have to say what with talking about scalpers over on Ebay, who let's be honest cause these fuck-ups for genuine purchasers, that I'd love to be seeing a few of those chancer faces getting similar cancelation confirmation.

Rubbing their hands with a half a dozen confirmation emails, thinking of all that sweet scalper cash, only to get an email from the retailer telling them to jog on.

I don't mind a bit of capitalism but this shit just spoils proper people's day, so fuck 'em if it happens.

I've just been keeping an eye on amazon sites across europe as I've ended up getting my 9th and 10th series cards from them at good prices with some patience and because I have plenty of amazon credit to help take off the financial brunt. My friend is about to make a new build in October so between me and him we had 3 preorders - now down to 2 after Amazon France cancelled! The Zotac germany one may eventually go the same way

Oh if I was getting one, was sorely tempted too, I'd have had a few pre orders spread across a couple of sites. But that's ok, that's because you want a bloody card. These tits who have no intention of putting the thing anywhere near a motherboard can fly into the Sun.

I'm not too bothered as my current kit plays everything fine, but my wife gave the go ahead and even said she'd pay half, so I thought why not.

Nvidia must have known how low the actual stock was (fair enough this year obviously) but to just go ahead and drum up the hype as usual when the reality was that stock was either non existent (the FE) or extremely low, with no systems in place to sell the low stock as fairly as possible just leaves the consumer looking like a seal clapping for a fish or something I dunno.

11 minutes ago, amc said:

Oh if I was getting one, was sorely tempted too, I'd have had a few pre orders spread across a couple of sites. But that's ok, that's because you want a bloody card. These tits who have no intention of putting the thing anywhere near a motherboard can fly into the Sun.

Unfortunately gotta hedge your bets for something where we have no idea when more stock is coming and how much. 

Sigh 

20 minutes ago, crocked said:

Does anyone know how quiet the RTX3080 is? I'm thinking of upgrading from my GTX970. I saw yesterday there was an offer to get some of the first ones cheaper oddly enough but i only saw it too yesterday night after it was gone unfortunately. 

Well, you'll have plenty of time to watch vids about the sound levels of all the cards the way things are going at the moment ;)

However, by all accounts, the sound levels on the cards seem to be fantastic.

25 minutes ago, crocked said:

They're all silent at the moment. Because they don't exist. 

Kitguru said the msi gaming trio os near silent. 

I managed to snag one during the rush on Scan, and it went through, I got the emails through and have been charged, but on their website it said pending payment authorization. I went on their chat and asked when it would be shipped, and they said the 21st to me, which is fine as I can prepare my PC.

2 hours ago, footle said:

Overclockers were very open about the fact that if you didn’t get in in the first two minutes they were overselling their allocation, to the point of never actually having anything but a preorder button. But then they’ve always done that for graphics cards (I was lucky with my 1080 FE order four years ago, but it wasn’t quite as frantic).

not sure about scan.

The problem is, the site died before 2pm. I had it in my basket at 14:00 and it took me an hour to check out. So nobody knows what's going on or if they actually got an order or a preorder. Partly due to the fact they kept updating the price and description of the times while people were queuing to checkout. Some people even processed the payment at £650 and got charged £700 for example, and now their order is in limbo.

I'm annoyed with myself a little for rushing into ordering yesterday once it became apparent how few cards stores actually had from suppliers. I went for an MSI at Scan that I knew nothing about as it seemed most likely to go through. But now it isn't the MSI that's been highly reviewed its a cheaper model. I'd rather have paid the difference now. 

2 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I managed to snag one during the rush on Scan, and it went thorugh, I got the emails through and have been charged, but on their website it said pending payment authorization. I went on their chat and asked when it would be shipped, and they said the 21st to me, which is fine as I can prepare my PC.

Which one did you order and at what time?

1 hour ago, spanx said:

So these Founder Editions then, do Nvidia typically just do a single launch run of them and then leave the market to the third parties, or do they continue to manufacture them throughout the lifecycle of the card? Apologies for stupid questions, I'm a bit new to this (the last time I bought a PC it had a TNT2 Ultra)

not sure if they're classed as founders edition but nvidia still have their 2060/70/80 super cards available to buy.

26 minutes ago, Moz said:

The problem is, the site died before 2pm. I had it in my basket at 14:00 and it took me an hour to check out. So nobody knows what's going on or if they actually got an order or a preorder. Partly due to the fact they kept updating the price and description of the times while people were queuing to checkout. Some people even processed the payment at £650 and got charged £700 for example, and now their order is in limbo.

My order for the Zotac Trinity went through at 14:03.  I was hopeful of being in the initial batch, but no despatch email so it's not looking likely.

32 minutes ago, pledge said:

Which one did you order and at what time?

I went for the Zotac as I had the GTX 1080 from them and it has been flawless and they have the 5 years warranty. My order was taken at about 2:10 on launch day.

Dammit. I'm still waiting for the flood of cheap 2060s in the trading folder and then this happens :( Just to give some perspective :omg:

Looks like there's some seriously shitty behaviour going on with the scalpers/bots. It's why we can't have nice unnecessary but shiny things :(

gamersnexus did a vid about how they had spoken to stores and board partners, and there was stock, more than the 20serries, it just sold, instantly.

meanwhile....good, fuck them fucking scalping cunts

SA9vnWc.jpg

6E214sO.jpg

The rep from OCUK on their forums is now basically saying they've taken everyone's money but they don't really know what's going on or when anything's turning up so everyone has to wait and you can get a refund if you want but not yet.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/search/50418365/

Good job lads. Maybe Nvidia should stick them on Ocado next time instead or some website with a queuing system that can handle some traffic.

I mean I'm just playing Battletoads and Life Is Strange 2 at the moment but I'm still annoyed.

That link doesn't work for me.  It's shitty.  But Overclockers have always taken money for pre-orders on products where the release of stock is unknown.  And all the cards were listed as pre-order when they went up (despite a forum post indicating there was some stock of some items).

I had a monitor ordered for a while, with no known delivery date so I cancelled in the end.  It was a quick and hassle free process though.

So I knew what I was getting into when I ordered, thankfully.  So I don't mind sitting in an unknown pre order queue for a while.  I'll just cancel if it takes too long, or if I change my mind on the order.

But yeah, it's still a shitty system.  They should only charge customers when they ship.

16 minutes ago, Moz said:

The rep from OCUK on their forums is now basically saying they've taken everyone's money but they don't really know what's going on or when anything's turning up so everyone has to wait and you can get a refund if you want but not yet.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/search/50418365/

Good job lads. Maybe Nvidia should stick them on Ocado next time instead or some website with a queuing system that can handle some traffic.

"It's launch day! We're going to be quids in guys!"

"But none of the stock has arrived. Well, we got three of the Gigabye cards, but... *shakes box, no noise", I think these might be display boxes?"

"Nah, just let people get ordering. They said the stock would be here today. I bet it's just caught in traffic. We'll be shipping out by 4pm at the latest".

I think a small part of the last minute price increases was due to the fact they absolutely knew how few cards they had coming in the next few weeks and they are hedging their bets against big currency swings at the end of October and December when Brexit kicks in. That and being gouging bastards.

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion