NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

29 minutes ago, footle said:

1% is silicon lottery numbers. I don’t think a single review comparing one sample of each can be that accurate.

You'd have to take the methodology up with the team running the benchmarks but they can only compare the cards they are supplied with.

It was the Zotac Trinity rated primarily against the Nividia FE (but also including 25 or so other Nvidia and AMD cards) using 23 games and rated  for relative FPS performance, performance per watt, and performance per dollar across all three typical resolutions. The Zoltan being approx 1% slower than the FE provided by Nvidia was their take home conclusion (with the proviso that it it less energy efficient) along with the 3080 being far and away the most powerful they have tested. For me, that was plenty to show that the card is, in real world terms, equivalent in performance to the FE but is cooler and much quieter and that is plenty good enough for me. 

I mean, I could wait until they test every card from every production line just to be sure but that would be a bit silly so, until then,  I'll need to rely on more traditional benchmarking methods.

Just now, Uzi said:

1% is not perceptible for anyone using it to play games - particularly on a card that powerful. 

A better cooling and noise system definitely is. 

Exactly. 

It is as good as identical.

I can see why people might be tempted to pay well over the odds for the cards though (unfortunately). They can justify it by thinking to themselves that it's a better card than the 2080ti, so even if the price goes over £1k, they're still 'winning' in terms of cost.

Obviously, that's a fucking ridiculous way of looking at it, and these people probably should be rocketed to the moon, but there we go.

If a lot of retailers have been overselling their alloted units there's gonna be a lot of sad sellers and buyers on Ebay. People are basically listing scans of their order and checkout process.

I know this is a pretty common thing, people selling their pre orders/orders but fuck me it's horrible, especially if places like Scan etc have pulled a moody for some sweet interest and a lock in sale against future stock.

5 minutes ago, amc said:

If a lot of retailers have been overselling their alloted units there's gonna be a lot of sad sellers and buyers on Ebay. People are basically listing scans of their order and checkout process.

I know this is a pretty common thing, people selling their pre orders/orders but fuck me it's horrible, especially if places like Scan etc have pulled a moody for some sweet interest and a lock in sale against future stock.

It's pretty pathetic really, unfortunately. I think the pandemic hasn't helped all the companies from trying to get as much dosh out of people as possible either.

I suspect we're going to get the same thing when the 3090 launches - any other time and I'd think the price of the cards would mean stock might have lasted long enough to allow a bit of time to get one, but I reckon stock levels are going to be incredibly, incredibly low on it.

Never mind, I'll get something eventually. It'd be nice to have one by the time Cyberpunk shows up, but I can't get too cut up about it.

7 minutes ago, amc said:

there’s fuck all interest to go round, certainly not enough to make taking even £200 to £400k of preorders and having that debt on the books to be potentially fucked over by exchange rate swings (400k, 3 months, 1k interest). You balance that by pricing the cards higher, of course.

I think Scan site was having so many problems that it wasn't clear that you were just making a pre-order despite them stating some of the cards had an expected date of "Today" (yesterday). They've listed their pre-order promise more prominently now, so I think I'm just in the queue for when they get stock again.  I got an email from them at 3am saying my order is now confirmed, despite an email from 4pm that my order had been received. Its still saying delivering today so its clearly wrong.

12 minutes ago, footle said:

there’s fuck all interest to go round, certainly not enough to make taking even £200 to £400k of preorders and having that debt on the books to be potentially fucked over by exchange rate swings (400k, 3 months, 1k interest). You balance that by pricing the cards higher, of course.

A lock in sale then, or whatever reason immoral companies sometimes oversell their allocation. Just put that there as a possible. I'll be sure to check interest rates before I post next time.

Anyway, it's a shitty business over on Ebay. Selling a scan of a checkout screen at a ridiculous mark-up. Shitty.

Preparing myself for a disappointing email from OC today. The preorder dates were broken on site and should have been taken down but weren’t. So there’s no stock, as I thought might be the case. Ho hum

10 minutes ago, amc said:

A lock in sale then, or whatever reason immoral companies sometimes oversell their allocation. Just put that there as a possible. I'll be sure to check interest rates before I post next time.

Overclockers were very open about the fact that if you didn’t get in in the first two minutes they were overselling their allocation, to the point of never actually having anything but a preorder button. But then they’ve always done that for graphics cards (I was lucky with my 1080 FE order four years ago, but it wasn’t quite as frantic).

not sure about scan.

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

Preparing myself for a disappointing email from OC today. The preorder dates were broken on site and should have been taken down but weren’t. So there’s no stock, as I thought might be the case. Ho hum

I think we hope for late October. There’s Hades to play till then.

I ordered by PayPal, and it is still in pending state. I was in their support chat queue yesterday, but the number going down was just them kicking people out of the queue so I got no reply.

26 minutes ago, amc said:

Err, what's going on here?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-XC3-BLACK-GAMING-10GB-Ray-Tracing-Graphics-Card/233716843988?hash=item366a9c05d4:g:LJEAAOSw9TtfY683  

Got to be a load of troll bidding, of course. 16 grand and 22 bids. Trololo.

Some disgruntled folks have been creating bots which knock up fake accounts to bid with. Those cards won't sell any time soon. :)

Well I've learned one thing through this episode, this whole bot/scalper thing. Never really been something I've been exposed to before, but seems madness that they can skew/ruin a launch so easily

9 minutes ago, spanx said:

Well I've learned one thing through this episode, this whole bot/scalper thing. Never really been something I've been exposed to before, but seems madness that they can skew/ruin a launch so easily

It's even further madness why Nvidia would leave them the opportunity.

Well, not really madness at all, is it? It's pretty obvious now that this was a paper launch all along. They never intended to sell any FEs due to that cooler costing far too much to manufacture, it would have eaten into their 50% margins too much.

Anyone else with an intent to actually sell would have taken pre-orders to both gauge interest and manage manufacturing, and opened up a queue.

I'm seriously tempted to use my GPU money to switch out my mobo and CPU, depending on what happens in October. That was the plan for next year anyway, so I could just bring that forwards a bit if I'm not going to play Cyberpunk until then anyway. :/

If AMD are going to be equally as obtuse I'll probably fuck it all off and just get a Series X. Something I never thought I'd be doing.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

Mine’s changed to “order received, not yet shipped”. At least they’ve got my money though that’s the main thing. 

Mine says the same thing, but apparently the card I ordered isn’t in stock and never has been. 

My Scan order is still Awaiting Picking too, so somehow I don't think I'll be seeing it any time soon. Still, that's a card at a sensible price pre-ordered so I'm not too disheartened.

I noticed that they seem to have removed the option to pre-order any of the cards now, so they're probably trying to sort through all the mess.

So these Founder Editions then, do Nvidia typically just do a single launch run of them and then leave the market to the third parties, or do they continue to manufacture them throughout the lifecycle of the card? Apologies for stupid questions, I'm a bit new to this (the last time I bought a PC it had a TNT2 Ultra)

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion