IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

1 minute ago, Lying Cat said:

But might be offset if they only make, like - 12 of them. Plus the 3090 can be dumped into SLI (for whatever that's worth) so they're more likely to be legitimately sold off in bunches. Personally, I'd prefer a two-per-household limit so both my girlfriend and I can grab one at launch, but if worst comes to the worst, I can stick with my 2080ti for a bit.

On an unrelated note - I bought some dinky GPU support stands off amazon and they arrived today. I don't think I've ever felt quite so nerdy yet happy when adding a non-necessary bit of gumpf into a computer. I never even considered GPU sag until when I rebuilt a computer with a 970 GTX in it - after a few years of that thing, the motherboard was almost creaking!

It’s all the talk about how good the cards may be for crypto mining that might fuck things up for everyone! 

A pox on crypto currency.

4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

It’s all the talk about how good the cards may be for crypto mining that might fuck things up for everyone! 

A pox on crypto currency.

Honestly, the last time they did a launch, it ran dry after two hours - so if you want one you're almost certainly going to be able to get one provided you log in around 2pm. As much as I've heard report of them completely selling out in seconds, I've seen a fair few people saying that stock is looking good, with a wink.

34 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Honestly, the last time they did a launch, it ran dry after two hours - so if you want one you're almost certainly going to be able to get one provided you log in around 2pm. As much as I've heard report of them completely selling out in seconds, I've seen a fair few people saying that stock is looking good, with a wink.

That gives me hope.

Is that the usual 'go live' time, 2pm?

9 minutes ago, Fallows said:

That gives me hope.

Is that the usual 'go live' time, 2pm?

Both nVidia and Scan were talking about that point in time as being the 'go live' point around when the cards were formally announced, but they seem to have backed off a little on that front now! Maybe realised that giving the exact moment was asking for their website to get DDOS'd.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don’t know if evga are any good or not, I’m guessing the rgb on the fans is part of the price increase for the Asus. The gigabyte equivalent is 729 I think. 

I'd hope that ASUS is clocked higher than standard too for that price as a near £200 uplift for some lighting is a bit much.

EVGA have a very good reputation.

3 hours ago, spanx said:

Any news on sizing for the third party cards yet? FE will fit nicely and leave space for a radiator if needed down the line, some of these third party cards look fucking massive

The product pages on Overclockers have dimensions for some of the cards.  I assume other retailers too.  Some of them are definitely on the large size!

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

By the way pretty sure that picture from OCUK in Dr Shark’s post up there is the wrong EVGA card. Looks like the FTW3, not the base ICX3 model, which lacks the fancy RGB panel amongst other things.

It is the wrong card. The icx3 is all black more or less and thinner. The only accurate listings and pricings wre probably the Asus strix cards 

It's very frustrating that the benchmarks have been delayed to such a short time before release - there's absolutely no room to vacillate endlessly and torture yourself over which brand to buy after the EVGA cards disappear into a puff of smoke.

I've resigned myself to no new build until New Year and risk Brexit screwing it all up - want to wait for what AMD is bringing in terms of new processors. Like, I realise I don't need to upgrade the 7700k right here right now - but new toys are always fun.

Edit - Plus: Exciting Conspiracy Theory!

7 minutes ago, snowbind said:

Are Nvidia the only people selling founders editions on their own site?

In the UK yes based on what I've seen

In the US it appears Best Buy are selling them so no idea if another store will get them

Can anyone quantify why EVGA are generally regarded as the 'go to' brand please?  Not sure whether to delay for decent benchmarks (and possibly for the Ryzen 4's) or just to gamble on whatever popular brand people are recommending, which seems to be EVGA for some reason?