NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

It's VR that's making me wonder if I want a 3080 instead of a 3070. I'm fairly confident I won't be doing 4K gaming for a year or two yet but the VR presumably pushes things similarly hard, right?

2 hours ago, milko said:

It's VR that's making me wonder if I want a 3080 instead of a 3070. I'm fairly confident I won't be doing 4K gaming for a year or two yet but the VR presumably pushes things similarly hard, right?

It does, but the vast majority of VR targets a 970. A 1070 is overkill (though not that much). A 2070 is definitely overkill though nice to have. A 3070 or 2080Ti will be massive overkill. A 3080...

2 hours ago, milko said:

The most taxing games my VR setup has encountered are Elite Dangerous and Assetto Corsa Competizione. The former struggles because David Braben is a twat who doesn't like VR despite his game still being one of the best showcases for the medium; the latter struggles (but nowhere near as much) because the engine is made for calculating physics of racecars, it's a genuine simulator of GT3 cars, and the devs are a small team.

Everything else in VR ... my system (Rift S, i9900k, 2080ti with 11gb VRAM, and 32gb system ram) runs without issue, the best example being Half Life: Alyx. A phenomenal achievement in VR gaming.

If the 3070 is only a small performance bump over the 2080ti, then you'll still be golden for the games that are made for VR, while running them on the VR tech that's out now like the Oculus Rift S/Quest and the Valve Index. Future headsets that target 2160p in each eye (the forthcoming HPReverb G2 for example) may choke on a 3070 for future games, like say Flight Simulator if/when the VR mode comes out.

14 minutes ago, footle said:

It does, but the vast majority of VR targets a 970. A 1070 is overkill (though not that much). A 2070 is definitely overkill though nice to have. A 3070 or 2080Ti will be massive overkill. A 3080...

What about a 3090?

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Future headsets that target 2160p in each eye (the forthcoming HPReverb G2 for example) may choke on a 3070 for future games, like say Flight Simulator if/when the VR mode comes out.

yeah, given I don’t upgrade the graphics card probably more than every four years or so, it might be worth me getting a little bit of future proofing done. The Quest being so nearly incredibly amazing makes me think I might upgrade that sooner rather than later too. 

On 07/09/2020 at 09:58, Mogster said:

I have one of these lapboard things for couch gaming:

image.thumb.png.046d0e17f41cc244d6c43cf35290f205.png

It's really comfy, and one of the best things I've ever bought. Unfortunately they seem to be discontinued now, which... isn't helpful.

To be honest though, I usually just use an Xbox One pad when I'm playing on the TV, and use my desk for mouse and keyboard stuff.

I've actually been looking into better ways to switch monitors. I've got three monitors on my desk, and a TV all connected at the same time. I keep the TV disabled in Windows until I want to use it, when I have to enable it and set it as my main display. It's one of those little things that put me off switching at all sometimes, so I wanted to find a quicker method. Sadly Win+P only really seems to work if you only have two monitors, but I did find MultiMonitorTool:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multi_monitor_tool.html

It works using command lines as well as a GUI, so now I've just set two batch files. One enables the TV and sets it as main, and the other does the opposite. :D

They are great. I have the corsair version which has the benefit of being wireless

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Might look into that for myself @Uzi :hat:

It's pricey but I managed to find some new in box on ebay for cheaper. The other benefit of the corsair is the keyboard just slots in and is bought separately so when you are not using it for couch/tv gaming - the keyboard slides out and can be used on a desk as normal which is great flexibility for me and why I paid more.

For everyone else in the thread - a good recommendation below for  casual couch use for browsing/media/point and click style games I've been using these for years - they're awesome and cheap (often go on offer for around 15-17)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows-Android/dp/B00XJ3LVPI/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs1_0?cv_ct_cx=logitech+k400&dchild=1&keywords=logitech+k400&pd_rd_i=B00XJ3LVPI&pd_rd_r=30a00f8b-d673-4f75-aa28-1f8710748212&pd_rd_w=Ygy3P&pd_rd_wg=VYKnN&pf_rd_p=17736ecb-713f-42f4-87f4-0de65a993334&pf_rd_r=NHN5C55Z7V86GVSSNCZ1&psc=1&qid=1599653007&sr=1-1-95fb4f3c-fa15-48dc-bab1-67b29ab0ca13

Ahh shit. Why did I check this thread after thinking about PC gaming on the couch in the Steam controller thread. Just bought the above wireless lapboard and wireless Corsair K63 keyboard. Keeping my Logitech MX Master 2S mouse though, may not be a dedicated gaming mouse but works superb, plus I'm scared to look into gaming mice as my poor impulse control will have me buying one of those too. Nice chunk of my 3080Ti fund gone there:(

Looking forward to finally trying a mechanical keyboard.

I use a combo of Xbox pad and Chrome remote desktop. It allows me to use my phone screen like a touchpad and keyboard, perfect for switching between launchers etc.

I splashed out on a Logitech G613/G603 keyboard and mouse. Next project is to make my own lap board. The keyboard is sturdy enough to sit on my lap but currently balancing the mouse on a book next to me

Hurry up releases! I can't wait to retire my 970! :D

Gonna have to sacrifice my Quest to afford it, but I've not used it in months. A worthy trade to play Cyberpunk as it was meant to be played. 

Just hope I dont need to get a new psu..think mine is 650w, thats gonna manage a 3070, right? 

That's the reason I'm going for a 3070 as my PSU is 650W too.

My 980TI served me well and managed VR pretty well too but it's time to jump up to the 3070.  

Quietly waiting to see if a quest 2 is launched next week.

23 hours ago, robdood said:

Hurry up releases! I can't wait to retire my 970! :D

Gonna have to sacrifice my Quest to afford it, but I've not used it in months. A worthy trade to play Cyberpunk as it was meant to be played. 

Just hope I dont need to get a new psu..think mine is 650w, thats gonna manage a 3070, right? 

As long as you dont have a power hungry overclocked crazy CPU and you're not intending to put in a 3 x 8pin overclocked 3080 - you should be fine if your PSU is good quality and 80 plus certified. Reviews on monday will confirm power draw of the FE.

9 minutes ago, simms said:

When are reviews/benchmarks going to come out?  I want to see real world tests to see how the 3070 and 3080 compares to my 3 month old 2070super.  

14th for founders edition 

17th for the AIB/custom cards 

15 minutes ago, simms said:

When are reviews/benchmarks going to come out?  I want to see real world tests to see how the 3070 and 3080 compares to my 3 month old 2070super.  

Well early indications seem to suggest it'll be twice as powerful as a 2080, so my guess is the answer is it compares fairly well to the 2070...

10 hours ago, robdood said:

Hm - are there rumours of that?  Suddenly anxious about the price I might get for mine! :ph34r:

there are indeed, you might want to get cracking with your sale.

That's the 1080 Ti sold off. Ended up with £400 for it. I just hope I can get my order in for the 3080 FE before they go out of stock, as I don't have a GPU currently.

What time do Nvidia usually put the order process live? Is it at the stroke of midnight, or in morning? I've got plenty of work on my plate so I can pull an all-nighter and F5 my way to victory.

32 minutes ago, artz said:

Possible performance leaks? Not looking earth shattering but hard to tell without knowing the setup.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-synthetic-and-gaming-performance-leaked

image.thumb.png.fe05dbc7c928dacb85b29d0f3b1d5b01.png

image.thumb.png.8d2b699f55a850cc5bb1edfe28e7e275.png

So Nvidia compared against the 2080, rather than the 2080S, so if we assume that the 2070S is about equivalent...

Far Cry New Dawn is clearly CPU limited, though 60% improvement at 4k is pretty good from generation to generation (you'd normally compare relative performance to the last generation, rather than the approach taken there). 70% for the 4k DLSS case, 90% for the 4k none DLSS case, 62% and 70% for the 1440p case.

What were you expecting?!

16 minutes ago, Fallows said:

That's the 1080 Ti sold off. Ended up with £400 for it. I just hope I can get my order in for the 3080 FE before they go out of stock, as I don't have a GPU currently.

What time do Nvidia usually put the order process live? Is it at the stroke of midnight, or in morning? I've got plenty of work on my plate so I can pull an all-nighter and F5 my way to victory.

Really? Where did you sell it for £400? Might put mine up.

4 minutes ago, footle said:

So Nvidia compared against the 2080, rather than the 2080S, so if we assume that the 2070S is about equivalent...

I suppose I have blanked out the existence of the 2080 non Super.

• Meat changed the title to NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion