IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

1 hour ago, milko said:

I really need to upgrade my CPU soon to better use my 3080. Which will mean a new motherboard. And probably new RAM. And I kinda wouldn’t mind a new case I suppose. Leaves me thinking I’d be better off buying a full build with a lesser GPU and seeing if I can make a good second PC out of whatever leftovers I come out with. Prices are just silly. 

Out of interest, what CPU do you have?

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

Out of interest, what CPU do you have?

shit, I can never remember this! It’s an Intel i7 that long ago lived in Layten’s computer so was clearly a beast when new and honestly runs most games just fine to this day. Think it’s a 5960X. It’s only really ACC in VR that makes it show the age, stuff like Cyberpunk or Forza Horizon 5 run well on nearly maxed out settings at 1440p which is what my monitor is. 

19 minutes ago, milko said:

shit, I can never remember this! It’s an Intel i7 that long ago lived in Layten’s computer so was clearly a beast when new and honestly runs most games just fine to this day. Think it’s a 5960X. It’s only really ACC in VR that makes it show the age, stuff like Cyberpunk or Forza Horizon 5 run well on nearly maxed out settings at 1440p which is what my monitor is. 

How many people here have had layten's cast offs?  😆 Man, the i7-920 I had from him served me amazingly for ages.

7 hours ago, Moz said:

Wii U version via Wii U USB Helper, which somewhat automates CEMU and the download of game rips. I'm a bit unclear on what the rules around piracy are here these days, I don't want to get myself banned or sued by Bruce Everiss, please remove if not allowed. Being purposefully vague.

Given how open people are in the film & tv thread about downloading films and tv shows, I wouldn't worry about it. So long as you aren't trying to sell anything or talk about current systems I reckon it's fine.

France seem to have been bombarded with drops this past couple of days (three). Maybe they're just relisted bot attempts.

11 Jan edit: Just missed a drop because I was talking with my neighbour. :doh:

Pah... 3080 drop as I'd finished editing the above. The site was completely dead the instant the Telegram post hit. I could only add one to cart after many refreshes but then by the time things came back to life they were already sold out.

Utter madness. Hoping for a 3090 drop next. Maybe that'll be easier.

Just now, Fallows said:

Pah... 3080 drop as I'd finished editing the above. The site was completely dead the instant the Telegram post hit. I could only add one to cart after many refreshes but then by the time things came back to life they were already sold out.

Utter madness. Hoping for a 3090 drop next. Maybe that'll be easier.

yeah, same. Bots involved, I assume? 

5 minutes ago, alex3d said:

yeah, same. Bots involved, I assume? 

Probably. The last time I tried they had a waiting system in place, but now no more.

Why you can't just fucking pre-order things is totally beyond me at this point. That's the whole reason why pre-orders were invented, no?

19 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Probably. The last time I tried they had a waiting system in place, but now no more.

Why you can't just fucking pre-order things is totally beyond me at this point. That's the whole reason why pre-orders were invented, no?

You just end up with scalpers pre-ordering and things like the overclockers debacle. See also EVGA's queue.

People with more money, with multiple preorders, all over the shop, huge queues.

I wonder how the next series of gpus will fare? You’d assume that if they release the 40xx series next year the amount of people who would buy one would be reduced substantially, but I kind of remain fearful we’d have exactly the same clusterfuck again.

The reason I worry is because we have had, what 2 years now?, of people willing to pay outrageous prices for consumer electronics. 

What incentive is there for people to reduce prices going forward? whether they be scalpers or Nvidia/AMD people have shown they will pay the inflated prices time and time again.

13 minutes ago, Mallet said:

The reason I worry is because we have had, what 2 years now?, of people willing to pay outrageous prices for consumer electronics. 

What incentive is there for people to reduce prices going forward? whether they be scalpers or Nvidia/AMD people have shown they will pay the inflated prices time and time again.

Until the crypto market collapses it'll remain like this in perpetuity. 

When people can make back the price of their graphics card within 8-10 months (and then make profit after that) you will get rich speculators buying for mining farms.

If bitcoin dropped below £10k again (and ETH with it) we would see a flood of GPUs on the market and gamers would be able to buy again.

I'm still regretting saying "I'll wait for the next gen" when 20xx were easy to come by. At this point, I'm going to have to update my whole computer if I can even get a 30xx. Might just pack in PC gaming altogether for a bit. I use my Mac for everything else these days anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what the extra charge they'll be putting on the thing for the extra 2gb of memory...I know there's a bit of a boost in speeds, but in real terms I can't believe any normal (sane) soul would notice a difference?

I've not noticed a game I play or fare about exceed the 10gb vram on the 3080 so meh.

By the time they do the 40 series will be out (on paper)

The 12GB is an excuse to raise RRP prices

Yeah you can bet it’ll suddenly go from almost impossible to totally impossible to get a 3080 FE… the GPU cores will all be going in to 12gb models. They must now hate that £650  pricing. 

The 12gb model will easily be £850 for an FE… for basically fuck all

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-announces-dldsr-deep-learning-dynamic-super-resolution-coming-to-geforce-drivers-on-january-14th

Also:

Furthermore, NVIDIA has teamed up with the author of a popular tool called ReShade. NVIDIA will be adding new custom ReShare FreeStyle filters into its GeForce Experience tool:

SSRTGI (Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination), commonly known as the “Ray Tracing ReShade Filter” enhances lighting and shadows of your favorite titles to create a greater sense of depth and realism.

SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) emphasizes the appearance of shadows near the intersections of >- 3D objects, especially within dimly lit/indoor environments.

Dynamic DOF (Depth of Field) applies bokeh-style blur based on the proximity of objects within the scene giving your game a more cinematic suspenseful feel. With DLDSR and SSRTGI combined, you can enjoy a remastered experience in classic games like Prey.

57 minutes ago, Benny said:

This shit is getting as bad as all that image processing guff you have to turn off on TVs.

Not really. That stuff is shit. This stuff is pretty great, and it all adds up. Advancements like these are precisely how we can make something very old like Skyrim look like it's running on a PS6.

Nvidia might be terrible at getting their products into consumer's hands, but their engineering can't be scoffed at. At this point they're practically a whole generation ahead of their nearest and only competition.

Also why if you can get your hands on even a 'basic' rtx card, then you'll have a pretty capable gaming PC without spending too much money.

If things weren't so chronically fucked up with supply of course.