IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

26 minutes ago, footle said:

It’s all the way down the value chain now, though the suppliers to the retailers are now charging far over the fake RRP.

that £350 GPU isn’t £350 of GPU. It’s now at least £700: unless we’re prepared to just ignore the last two years.

Does this mean the retailers are also paying more? Because I found it pretty disgusting how they just jacked up the prices because supply was low. I might be naive but this isn't really common is it? I mean the next gen consoles are also in low supply but most retailers are just charging the normal price whenever they do have some stock. 

Well all this has priced me out of the PC market now - just can't justify the expense to play games.

Not even interested in upgrading my PC anymore so I'll stick with my current setup until its no longer viable to play games on then just stick with consoles for playing games and just use a laptop for other PC related things. 

26 minutes ago, Sane said:

Does this mean the retailers are also paying more? Because I found it pretty disgusting how they just jacked up the prices because supply was low. I might be naive but this isn't really common is it? I mean the next gen consoles are also in low supply but most retailers are just charging the normal price whenever they do have some stock. 

yes, they’re paying far more for AIB cards; and there aren’t any first party cards.

the console supply chain and subsequent razor blade subscription model isn’t vaguely comparable to a one off graphics card purchase from a retailer and the likes of ASUS, gigabyte etc.

2 hours ago, footle said:

It’s all the way down the value chain now, though the suppliers to the retailers are now charging far over the fake RRP.

that £350 GPU isn’t £350 of GPU. It’s now at least £700: unless we’re prepared to just ignore the last two years.

It just seems odd that Nvidia are still listing RRPs that are nothing but fantasy. But if the OEMs are charging more then there’s no real way around it, I suppose. Like Matty, I’ve been completely priced out of an upgrade. 

I have a 6GB 1060, nothing special by any means but it's sitting spare right now. What's the consensus with pricing? eBay with discount priced in for you forum lot?

I'm very thankful I managed to snag a 3060ti a while back, before the massive price hikes.

23 minutes ago, Adrock said:

I have a 6GB 1060, nothing special by any means but it's sitting spare right now. What's the consensus with pricing? eBay with discount priced in for you forum lot?

I'm very thankful I managed to snag a 3060ti a while back, before the massive price hikes.

It's what I did with  my last gpu sale. Put it on here discounted from the regular ebay/scalpersbook price. Tried FB marketplace but that seemed to be as full of dickheads as ebay. You're also far less likely to get some chancer on here :)

Is it easy to get BotW set up via emulation these days? I obviously have it on Switch but I'm curious if it's solid and glitch free now and worth the faff.

That’s the Wii U version, no idea of the state of the Switch version but I can’t imagine it’s anywhere near as good yet. Pretty painless setup via Wii U USB Helper, which runs CEMU. Mostly automated. Just turn everything to maximum, turn on ASYNC to stop the frame drops  and enjoy.

I’m dreaming that someone gets BOTW2 running on a Switch emulator right after launch so I can buy it and then chuck it on a shelf and emulate it. Given that BOTW only supports ultrawide after five years on a very established emulator for a much older system I don’t have a lot of hope. 

On 29/12/2021 at 13:06, Adrock said:

did this go up for sale anywhere?

You got to admire the balls on nVidia when they blithely say it's time for everyone to step up to the 30xx series...

$250 for a 3050. 

Let's make it $500 shall we?

More?

Oh go on then.

I didn't have a problem getting a FE card from Scan for RRP.  At the time, I could have chosen any of the cards.  Of course, they only come into stock every few weeks, and you have to be ready to go when they pop into stock, but I think it should be possible for people to secure one.  Let me know if you want me to share the Telegram group I was using for alerts.  I just made sure I was already logged into Scan and then just followed the link in the Telegram post and was able to get a 3070 without issue.

Oh, I'm all good. I was lucky enough to get a 3090 at launch which I proceeded to flog, but then managed to snag a 3070ti as a 'refurb' from Box for retail. The packaging was missing stuff, but the card itself had never been used, so all good :)

12 minutes ago, klargon said:

I didn't have a problem getting a FE card from Scan for RRP.  At the time, I could have chosen any of the cards.  Of course, they only come into stock every few weeks, and you have to be ready to go when they pop into stock, but I think it should be possible for people to secure one.  Let me know if you want me to share the Telegram group I was using for alerts.  I just made sure I was already logged into Scan and then just followed the link in the Telegram post and was able to get a 3070 without issue.

I'd be interested in that Telegram group if it's still active; I'm hoping to build my brother a new PC for his birthday this year - something with proper oomph. I'd actually considered downgrading to just an APU in the short term and cannibalising my current (2080 Ti) PC for him, but I can't see him maintaining my homebrew watercooled setup, so it'd be helpful if I could get my hands on a modern card without destroying the bank within the next five months or so! 

I think this link should do it - https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEii3xT81U1A6tLjrQ/.  Couple of things worth noting:

1. It'll ping you for non-UK stock, which isn't particularly helpful

2. You can only order one RTX card from Scan with one account, even if it's a different model you want

It's far quicker at alerting you than something like HotUKDeals.  There were no performance issues with the Scan site or any queuing when I got mine at the end of November.  Doesn't seem to be any consistency in the times they make the stock available - I was mid bike ride when I got mine!