IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

I finally, finally managed to get a 3080 today, for the going price of a 3070 on EBay. So hopefully it’s another straight swap, I’ve gone from a 1080ti to 3070 to 3080 without spending a penny assuming I get a decent price for my 3070. 

Built a little i5 10600 and 3060 machine for the bedroom. Sick of my gas bill so going to heat the bedroom this way jk. It's all fairly dinky and built for a low price, quality bits mind, powerful enough for 4K media streaming to the big telly and 1080p ultrawide gaming on my 29" LG with G-sync. 

Still have a i9 2080 TI machine in the living room for 4K gaming. And an Alienware R3 1060 6GB into a 27" 144hz, for films/youtube whilst gaming on the big telly, plus some low spec mad framerate games.

Got the card from a friend of the family for less than a 1660 Super and a proper second-hand price, it's only a couple of months old. The seller snagged a 3080 TI, somehow. 

It's a non LHR so could actually triple my money on ebay, if I was a twat.

I got a 2080 super locally for a good price so after selling my 2060 it cost 65 quid to upgrade.  People must be using some hefty big screens as I'm 1080p everything right up and my fps went from 80/90 to 120 ish which is good as I'm 144hz but tbh it's not that noticeable.  

Also I though of selling on ebay but put a couple of things up for trial and ebay fees were like 15% so I decided I'd rather sell it  for like 20% cheaper than ebay so someone else felt they were getting a deal as well.  Ebay is too expensive.  

Finally got my 3080 in. It’s great, I run at 3840x1600 so the 3070 felt plucky but also like I was pushing my luck a bit. The 3080 comes out like an angry Dave Bautista on PCP and wrecks the place. 

Here’s a bit of RDR at max everything running about 80-90fps. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, layten said:

I have a LG C1 OLED coming tomorrow to replace my trusty old GSYNC monitor (If anyone want a 27" 144Hz IPS GSYNC display on the cheap, let me know! ) so now all I need to do is replace my 2080ti with a 3000 series.

wish me luck!

I’m assuming you’ll be going for a 3080ti or 3090? Both are usually available now. Whether or not you like the prices is debatable!

13 minutes ago, layten said:

I'm holding out for the rumoured 3090ti.

Hi, my name is layten, and I have a problem.

By the time you get hold of one the 4080 will be around the corner 

I've had a stronger GPU than you since October 2020 - this is not right mate. This needs to be rectified. This is fucked up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 14:24, Uzi said:

I've had a stronger GPU than you since October 2020 - this is not right mate. This needs to be rectified. This is fucked up.

Thankfully this has now been resolved. We were one step away from Dogs and Cats living together.

I didn't quite anticipate just how truly awful this card looks (the name should have been a clue). :lol: Thank goodness my case is tucked away out of sight and the performance seems solid. Coming from somebody who has only had Nvidia reference design cards since the GTX480 this is quite something.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/palit-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gamerock-12gb-in-test-home-disco-in-the-superfast-lane/

2 minutes ago, layten said:

I didn't quite anticipate just how truly awful this card looks (the name should have been a clue). :lol: Thank goodness my case is tucked away out of sight and the performance seems solid. Coming from somebody who has only had Nvidia reference design cards since the GTX480 this is quite something.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/palit-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gamerock-12gb-in-test-home-disco-in-the-superfast-lane/

It is highly offensive - happy to swap it with my 3080 super sleek FE if you want 😏

2 hours ago, layten said:

They would give £601 cash for my 2080 Ti. The GFX card market is utterly fucked.

Indeed given up trying to upgrade my PC at the moment... 1) Don't have the time/energy to chase around looking for a card at a normal price 2) simply cannot justify spending so much to just play the games prettier... I mean for me RRP of the 3080 @ £650 was pushing it when it was announced. Anyhow looks like I'm stuck with my 980Ti and playing at 1080p on the settings that run things at 60fps which seems to be quite a few games TBH. Main thing I really wanted a new GPU for was my VR stuff.. however I'm just dropping the detail levels and being content :) 

Guess at least all this nonsense is saving me money...

Grateful too. Bought a 2060 for £250 about 18 months back when most were recommending waiting for the 30 series (obviously with no idea about pandemic/chip shortage). It plays everything well on my 1080p monitors with only RTX being a problem. Joined up to the Discord alerts but realised it was just new shiny FOMO rather than a necessary upgrade. So, left the alerts and preordered a Steam Deck instead...

1 hour ago, Moz said:

I bought a 1080TI for £666.66 when Doom came out (just a coincidence, Amazon misprice lol)

Sold it for £680 and bought a 3070 for £450 at launch.

Then sold the 3070 for £950, bought a 3080 for £1000.

So right now I've paid under £500 over five years to own a 1080ti, then 3070, then 3080.

And they say PC gaming is expensive!

Damn, if you'd managed to score a 3080FE for RRP you'd have almost been in profit! Good going.

2 hours ago, layten said:

Why does the top look like a phonebox window that's been vandalised? 

1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Grateful too. Bought a 2060 for £250 about 18 months back when most were recommending waiting for the 30 series (obviously with no idea about pandemic/chip shortage). It plays everything well on my 1080p monitors with only RTX being a problem. Joined up to the Discord alerts but realised it was just new shiny FOMO rather than a necessary upgrade. So, left the alerts and preordered a Steam Deck instead...

:) At the backend of 2019 I was going to upgrade my system however had to hold back on expenses due to changing circumstances. So I didn't. My 970 card was struggling with my VR stuff (mainly lack of memory) at the time and managed to snag a 980Ti of someone who had upgraded. For £50. I have seen people trying to push 980Ti's for £250+ at the moment. It's a 6 year old card. That is how silly the graphics card market is at the moment.

2 hours ago, Moz said:

I bought a 1080TI for £666.66 when Doom came out (just a coincidence, Amazon misprice lol)

Sold it for £680 and bought a 3070 for £450 at launch.

Then sold the 3070 for £950, bought a 3080 for £1000.

So right now I've paid under £500 over five years to own a 1080ti, then 3070, then 3080.

And they say PC gaming is expensive!

Same boat as me, pretty much. I paid €450 for a 1080Ti FE in 2018, sold it for €580 and then bought a 3080 FE for €520 (company purchase, so tax free) last November.

Since then I've played Cyberpunk and mined one whole Ethereum, leveraging our solar panels so we only end up paying €7 per month on electricity.

On 24/11/2021 at 12:28, layten said:

Thankfully this has now been resolved. We were one step away from Dogs and Cats living together.

@Uzi well I’m furious about this as I’ve had a more powerful GPU than @layten the entirety of my journey through PC ownership. This is unacceptable. Where can I get a 3090 stat?

4 hours ago, layten said:

Christ Alive!!!

That has to be the most hideous looking PC component I have ever seen and it’s not like the market is usually a model of restraint.

Fuck alone knows why, when buying or designing a high end component, someone might decide it would look better covered in that fake diamond styled plastic. Especially after seeing how sleek and smart the Nvidia solution looks. Even for the third party GPU market this really is quite something…

Please tell me that plastic addition lights up!