Jump to content
IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion


Meat
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not for a real good while yet, imo.  Maybe 18 months from now things will be what could be considered on the high side of reasonable.

 

It'll get better than it is now if there is another dip in crypto mining (though that has seen a rise in recent weeks again, since a dip a month or so ago becauae of Chinese regulations), but not to the extent that things become widely available for MSRP.

 

Other raw materials besides the silicon to make them, the metals and plastics, have seen substantial rises in their cost due to shortages caused by the long term knock on effects of Covid work shortages.

 

If/when Nvidea pump out the 4000 series cards next year, that will only cause another mad rush to get whatever actually gets released, then that will also cause the 2nd hand market for 2000/3000 series cards to stay high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over the last week I’ve been getting constant pings from one of the stock apps saying Amazon has the 3060ti in stock, but the prices have been around £720-£780 which is just silly.

 

I really want to pick up an old 1060/1070 for my arcade cabinet, but there’s no way I’m paying 3070 RRP prices for one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Consider a 1660 if it will only be used for rasterization. It will give you the option of driver supported integer scaling.(Only Turing onwards supports this on Nvidia)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stock of RTX 3070 Ti seem to pop up from time to time on Amazon for £900, which is ridiculous. But it is more ridiculous than my need for one?

 

The issue now is my PC has a 550W PSU and an i7 6700k so do I just replace CPU, RAM and motherboard as well? Probably.

 

My biggest regret is passing up 20xx cards a few times when they probably would've suited my purpose and build something entirely new in another few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Stock of RTX 3070 Ti seem to pop up from time to time on Amazon for £900, which is ridiculous. But it is more ridiculous than my need for one?

 

The issue now is my PC has a 550W PSU and an i7 6700k so do I just replace CPU, RAM and motherboard as well? Probably.

 

My biggest regret is passing up 20xx cards a few times when they probably would've suited my purpose and build something entirely new in another few years.

3070ti FE was in stock today on scan for a good few mins for £529. Cards are coming through 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Scan order is due in a couple of weeks, and I must admit I am now wondering if I can make a last minute amendment to step up the 3060 to something with a bit more oomph. I knew something like this might happen when I put the order through, but I suppose if I'd have waited til now I wouldnt be getting it for another couple of months, so....  *shrug*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting genuinely tempted to sell off my 3090. I was 'lucky' enough to buy one at rrp, but with my 144hz 1440p monitor (and no desire to upgrade to 4k anytime soon), it feels like utter overkill, and quite honestly I'd be very happy with the extra cash in my pocket.

 

Obviously, this is made more complicated by the overall lack of graphics cards around - suspect I'd attempt to find a 3070 / 3070ti , but if I could find one I guess even at the stupidly inflated prices, I'd probably still walk away with money in the bank.

 

I dunno. 

 

What does the hive-mind say on the subject?


Also, if anyone wants to buy it, let me know. I'd be generous in my discounts...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

My gut says to keep it unless you’re desperate for the cash.

 

I certainly don't need the cash, but it's always nice to have the money in the bank just in case...

 

...just in case I buy an iPad Pro...and a new iPhone.

 

Oh, wait...I did that already.

 

Hmm, maybe I do need the cash :P

 

Anyway, I thought I'd use this as a bit of an experiment and see what happens...I put it up just a second ago ;) . 

 

Already got an offer of £300 more than I paid for the thing. But quite frankly, I'll let it run for the seven days and see what happens! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3080ti's were in stock on scan earlier in the week and stuck around for a good 15-20 mins or so 

 

They aren't going for much more on ebay either - sales seem to be settling around £1300 for a GPU that costs around £1060 delivered - there is currently a lull with the higher end cards. It doesn't help that and the 3090 that the 3080 exists and once was available for £649 at basically the same performance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I’m completely out of the loop. Could some kind soul fill me in on 3090 RRP v current street price? Is it really silly due to these shortages?


I paid £1500 for mine, and had an offer of £1800.

 

To be fair, I’ve sent him a counter offer for £50 more and I’d accept really. I’d probably accept lower too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JoeK said:


I paid £1500 for mine, and had an offer of £1800.

 

To be fair, I’ve sent him a counter offer for £50 more and I’d accept really. I’d probably accept lower too. 

Wow. That’s explains why everyone is so pissed. 
 

So the 3080 has gone from ~£600ish to a grand at retail. And the 3090 is even higher for about 15% extra performance. 
 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3090-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3080/4081vs4080

 

Might be time to try a new hobby for a few years then check in again. I mean the best part of two grand for a 2nd hand gpu. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

Wow. That’s explains why everyone is so pissed. 
 

So the 3080 has gone from ~£600ish to a grand at retail. And the 3090 is even higher for about 15% extra performance. 
 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3090-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3080/4081vs4080

 

Might be time to try a new hobby for a few years then check in again. I mean the best part of two grand for a 2nd hand gpu. 

 


Honestly, the consoles are doing such a good job that unless you really, really want the most rays ever, then that’s the way to go maybe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

I'm getting genuinely tempted to sell off my 3090. I was 'lucky' enough to buy one at rrp, but with my 144hz 1440p monitor (and no desire to upgrade to 4k anytime soon), it feels like utter overkill, and quite honestly I'd be very happy with the extra cash in my pocket.

 

Obviously, this is made more complicated by the overall lack of graphics cards around - suspect I'd attempt to find a 3070 / 3070ti , but if I could find one I guess even at the stupidly inflated prices, I'd probably still walk away with money in the bank.

 

I dunno. 

 

What does the hive-mind say on the subject?


Also, if anyone wants to buy it, let me know. I'd be generous in my discounts...

I'll swap you a two and a half year old 2080ti for it, best deal mate trust me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll go one better,  and offer up my 2 year old rog strix 2080ti, that can hit a 10,000 on 3dmark port royal.

 

 

It deffo wasn't over clocked to do that, or have an extra fan... Nope siree!

 

 

Honestly, I'm glad I bought that one,  as its still going strong! I will prob end up buying a new system next year when the 4000 series comes out though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Card sales at AVForums have died a complete death. You still see the odd one getting listed but few are paying the inflated prices now. I'll probably see out the year with my 2070 Super. I'd be interested in a 3070 / 3080 but there's nothing out there I can't currently run well enough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I installed the Discord alerts more out of interest than anything else. My 2060 is plenty good enough for 1080 75hz. Having said that, a Founders 3060ti came on for RRP but I was on holiday and didn't see it until hours later. I should probably check my PSU as that may need an update before GPU does. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I helped my brother get a 3070 FE from Scan last year for his new build. I got to the point where I was wanting my own FE card, but Scan's one FE card per household policy means that I was SOL. Looked like the minimum for a third-party 3080 was around £1050. Ended up getting an ROG Strix 3080 OC last week. I'm glad I have a card now, but it's frustrating that I could have easily got a 3080 Ti FE for the same money if that policy wasn't there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

at this point, its almost "cheaper" buying a new syustem! or at least, more cost effective... 😕

 

and in latest hardware survey, amd cards are still nowhere to be found on it!?! meanwhile the 2060 is now number 2!

 

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

 

 


I got a prebuilt from Scan a few months ago with an AMD 6700XT in it.

 

Are they hard to find then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AceGrace said:


I got a prebuilt from Scan a few months ago with an AMD 6700XT in it.

 

Are they hard to find then?

 

according to the steam hardware survey...they literally don't register as a product on it!

I would assume they are lumped to together as other AMD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.