IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

4 hours ago, Triple A said:

No because that would be price fixing. The retailer sets the end price.

Customers just need to remember which retailers fucked them over and avoid them for evermore as well warn others off very publicly.  But we know that shit doens't happen very often so retailer carry on doing it knowing our memories aren't very long.   someone should build a website to make it easier.   HasThisRetailerFuckedUsOver.com.

A page for each retailer and the times they fucked customers over.

30 minutes ago, milko said:

isn't that trustpilot, etc. 

That's user run.  Hundreds and hundreds ot reviews that average out the times they were total shits.

I'm talking about one that is populated by one or more editors and thast's it.  Store fucked users  over with price gouging?  Goes on your record permanently.  Nevar farget.

the editors are only going to find out this stuff through users though, no? I suppose someone could set something up that summarises the contents of a Trustpilot to filter the pointless stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Shrug worthy news: 3080ti announced at $1199 dollars - which would make anyone wonder why they didn't pick up a 3090 in the first place (twice as much VRAM - much beefier cooler on the FE) at that point given the ti is 200 dollars overpriced to be a true middle slot between the 80 and 90. There were points were 3090's were relatively easy to pick up since launch.

And to prove you need that extra horse power.....Nvidia gives you more DLSS titles! 

Red Dead 2 - thank fuck - can finally hit 4K maxed at 60+fps 

Rainbow Six Siege (which already runs at high fps but ok?)

Escape from Tarkov

Doom Eternal gets RAYTRACING and DLSS - so bought the season pass from cdkeys for £8.99 to replay this

21 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Shrug worthy news: 3080ti announced at $1199 dollars - which would make anyone wonder why they didn't pick up a 3090 in the first place (twice as much VRAM - much beefier cooler on the FE) at that point given the ti is 200 dollars overpriced to be a true middle slot between the 80 and 90. There were points were 3090's were relatively easy to pick up since launch.

And to prove you need that extra horse power.....Nvidia gives you more DLSS titles! 

Red Dead 2 - thank fuck - can finally hit 4K maxed at 60+fps 

Rainbow Six Siege (which already runs at high fps but ok?)

Escape from Tarkov

Doom Eternal gets RAYTRACING and DLSS - so bought the season pass from cdkeys for £8.99 to replay this

Got quite excited by the price of that season pass, the realised it’s for the Bethesda launcher version.  Bugger.

49 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Wonder how long it'll take for that patch to come to the Game Pass version.

(I kind of assume much less time than it previously would have done if it ever did at all).

Well...shit.

Clearly, what I assume is down to the dlss thing, I have a Red Dead 2 update processing.

All 118gb of the fucking thing. 

Which is slightly upsetting as I'm in the middle of a playthrough.

Just now, JoeK said:

Well...shit.

Clearly, what I assume is down to the dlss thing, I have a Red Dead 2 update processing.

All 118gb of the fucking thing. 

Which is slightly upsetting as I'm in the middle of a playthrough.

RDR2 is presumably a bit away.

I've decided to give the 3080TI buying a shot. Probably not a hope in hell but I'm gonna try my hardest. If I succeed, this 2080TI is straight on Ebay for daft money.

Gonna do a good bit of prep beforehand. Man vs Bot.

11 minutes ago, amc said:

2080TI is straight on Ebay for daft money.

Awwwww some of us are running on lowly GPUs (980Ti) due to all this.... :D I'd take it off your hands for forum rates.. pay it forward and all that...  :D:P 

Just teasing* open market... I can't even think about affording a 3080. :( 

*But if you are willing to do a fellow forum member a favour... my PM box is ready and waiting... I'll pay it forward by selling mine to someone that needs an upgrade for a reasonable non-COVID price :D 

On average the 3080 ti is coming less than 10% faster than the 3080. Not even hitting double digit percentage perf wise in most use cases. And by the time 10GB vs 12GB is a genuine issue - the next wave of cards should be waiting to come out. 

I feel bad for anyone who might have skipped on the chance to buy a 3080 to wait for the ti (back in Oct/Nov last year when with time and dedication and some luck you could get one). Oof. Realistically it was never going to be faster than the 3090 so the writing was on the wall but OOF

At this point, NVidia can write whatever they want for MSRP, it doesn't mean squat while every company is fighting for space at TSMC and consumers are fighting for products via the same avenues (although, to be honest, there's not really a lot of brick and mortar places to shop for PC parts these days in the UK outside of Currys anyway).

Thing will be sold for a tenner less than current 3090s and bots will still buy it in an attempt to turn over a couple of hundred quid profit. Waste of time for anyone wanting to play games on the bloody thing, and a waste of money if you do give in to scalpers.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Devil's advocate time, does anyone really think they won't sell at that price?

Nvidia have priced to sell in the current market unfortunately and although it's shit for the consumer, you can hardly blame them for doing so. The prices will only come down when the demand does.

They're an absolute bargain at £1049 in the current market. But basing off RRP just funny that £400 more can't even get you 10%+ perf consistently.

Yeah, I think I'll skip this. I may have a quick peruse of my bookmarks and if there is one going I'll bite the bullet but if I'm honest I'm still happy sitting out the 3xxx cards. I'm still not seeing anything that my 2080 TI can't handle with aplomb with a tweak or two, so big shrug if it's bot city. The fantastic OC it can cope with probably helps.

Will check out the madness later and if I kop for one I'm sure I'll be able to sell on my current card to offset a huge chunk of the cost.

Semi-tempted to try and get one just because I know my 3080FE that I managed to snag at RRP would pay for it if flipped on. But that way lies madness as well as becoming a dirty profiteer so I shan't. 

16 minutes ago, milko said:

Semi-tempted to try and get one just because I know my 3080FE that I managed to snag at RRP would pay for it if flipped on. But that way lies madness as well as becoming a dirty profiteer so I shan't. 

Scan have restricted anyone who bought a previous 30 series card from them getting a new one from them now. Pretty cool. Although scalpers would just make a new account 

I worry about the price of cards going forward. People have overwhelming shown they will pay outrageous prices for cards for almost a year now and I can't help but think both nVidia and AMD will stick another $50-100 on any future releases.

Ultimately, I'd probably rather Nvidia pocket more of the 'market value' of a card than sell it for £500 only for it to fly off the ebay shelves for £1100. If demand is massively outstripping supply then it does make sense to raise your prices, surely?

I just wish they properly took measures to stop scalpers period. E.g. I got a second PS5 recently (for a friend) because I'd signed up for stock alerts on BT.com months ago, and then when they finally came in, they sent me a unique code so that only those of us who had got in the queue (effectively) could buy one.

Obviously this is also exploitable but systems like that that stop folks just automatically buying up all the available stock to re-sell would be great.

I would honestly just love to see ebay/FB etc. disallowing listings of graphics cards or PS5s for 6 months. That would be a good start.

Might try and get a 3080 non-ti from somewhere tomorrow in all the confusion and chaos. To be honest my 3070 is pretty admirable but I’ve got an ultrawide monitor on the way so it’s about to start struggling I think. 

It'd be interesting to know what the 3080 yields are after the dawn of the much more profitable Ti. I get the sense they made a bit of a blunder pricing the cards so reasonably up until now.

Maybe they just wanted to 'get in' before AMD showed their hand. Now that any sign of threat has disappeared it's business as usual.

13 hours ago, Mallet said:

I worry about the price of cards going forward. People have overwhelming shown they will pay outrageous prices for cards for almost a year now and I can't help but think both nVidia and AMD will stick another $50-100 on any future releases.

Let me tell you about the housing market in Bristol...