IGNORED

NVIDIA GeForce 30-series: come for the lack of order updates and stock, stay for the fan discussion

Meat

My 5700xt I got october last year does not like Flight Sim 2020 at all and even with custom fan curve and under volt Wattman keeps resetting my system. It has now started with Project Cars 3 as well.

Email to Amazon France and told to return it for full refund of the 340 quid I paid for it. May stretch to a 3080 now instead of a 3070

42 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

You've just got to be a bit mono no aware about it and accept that any attempt to futureproof stuff is going to be a roll of the dice. Sometimes it's okay, but other times you're just fucked.

It's not really a roll of the dice. If you look at a two year timeframe, it's probably screwed.

If you accept that you're not going to future-proof entirely, a good rule of thumb is always "don't buy the first of a new product line because they won't have optimised it yet".

So your Zen 1, your Navi 1, your 20x0 series, and then whatever Intel bring out when they finally manage to change process, or Intel's first big consumer graphics chip.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don't think mine is too bad...it's a grey and black softweave material.

image.thumb.png.e108e0b1a1348b90814fafc388635896.png

I wasn't going to get a bright yellow and green cyberpunk one or the bright pink and white D-Va from overwatch one. Some of them are frigging ugly, no doubt. The ones that look like they belong in a rally car, for example.

Is exactly the one I was looking at (or very similar, maybe the Titan)! Like you say, some of the others and colours are shocking.

1 minute ago, footle said:

It's not really a roll of the dice. If you look at a two year timeframe, it's probably screwed.

If you accept that you're not going to future-proof entirely, a good rule of thumb is always "don't buy the first of a new product line because they won't have optimised it yet".

So your Zen 1, your Navi 1, your 20x0 series, and then whatever Intel bring out when they finally manage to change process, or Intel's first big consumer graphics chip.

Well it feels like a roll of the dice and you're not allowed to argue with my feelings in this new post-truth world or I'll call whatever you say "Fake News".

But seriously, that's a pretty good way of looking at it - especially 1st iterations of technology, but I think a lot of stuff holds up well after the first two years - I don't think I've ever upgraded something I've bought in that sort of timeframe by necessity, and actually whenever I have done the gains haven't really been all that impressive. I suppose it changes if you're chasing the bleeding edge, so perhaps I'm just comfortable lagging a few steps behind.

56 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don't think mine is too bad...it's a grey and black softweave material.

image.thumb.png.e108e0b1a1348b90814fafc388635896.png

I wasn't going to get a bright yellow and green cyberpunk one or the bright pink and white D-Va from overwatch one. Some of them are frigging ugly, no doubt. The ones that look like they belong in a rally car, for example.

I have this as the titan and I have to be honest I wish I'd bought an aeron or other ergonomic chair. They're a step up from what I was on before, but they aren't the most ergonomic options out there. 

All this CPU talk now has me worried about my 8700K. :\

At least the upgrade isn't essential for Cyberpunk. I can easily hold out until this time next year for a new Ryzen/PCIe4 MoBo combo. That'll make for a nice upgrade that shouldn't break the bank.

20 minutes ago, Fallows said:

At least the upgrade isn't essential for Cyberpunk. I can easily hold out until this time next year for a new Ryzen/PCIe4 MoBo combo. That'll make for a nice upgrade that shouldn't break the bank.

I remember when I had an Intel G3258 that, due to the processor being a dual core and the initial state of certain games on PC, simply would stutter on GTAV as soon as the framerate went over 50fps.

So I locked GTAV to 50fps and supersampled the fuck out of it instead :)

41 minutes ago, Fallows said:

8700K is fine - six cores - twelve threads and you can overclock it to 4.7ghz+ on all cores easily up to about 5.0ghz on most chips with decent cooling. It won't have any issues for a little while yet. When they demoing cyberpunk at E3 first two years ago it was on a 8700k (despite the 9th series existing at the time I think)

38 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Yeah man, got it up to 5GHz and then de-lid it for another .1

I keep it on 5, though.

And yeah, about that two-year old Cyberpunk demo. Have you watched it again lately? :lol: It's night and day compared to recent showings.

Yeah - due to graphics. Not cpu advancement since 2018.

They built the game to work on shitty jaguar console 2013 cores - you dont need to worry about your higher than market average CPU 

For sure mate, thanks for the reassurance.

My Cyberpunk reference was kinda besides the point. It's both extremely fascinating and quite astonishing seeing how far the game has come visually, irrespective of what's going on under the hood. I've never seen anything so polished before.

29 minutes ago, Fallows said:

For sure mate, thanks for the reassurance.

My Cyberpunk reference was kinda besides the point. It's both extremely fascinating and quite astonishing seeing how far the game has come visually, irrespective of what's going on under the hood. I've never seen anything so polished before.

Ha yeah agree- the raytracing trailer is fucking nuts

It's looking so good that I'm beginning to question my audio output capabilities (Skull Candy earphones...). These super-cheap Logitech speakers I got sound better than most studio monitors I sampled not so long ago that came in at €250 each, but I can't exactly crank them up at night.

There's absolutely no budget for anything else now, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

What are we meant to be impressed by in the Cyberpunk video? I mean it looks decent, but I'm not seeing anything that blows everything else out of the water.

agree. It’s like when games first started being able to support more than one light source back in the Q3 days, and suddenly there was neon and coloured lights all over the shop.

8 hours ago, dfq23 said:

My 5700xt I got october last year does not like Flight Sim 2020 at all and even with custom fan curve and under volt Wattman keeps resetting my system. It has now started with Project Cars 3 as well.

Email to Amazon France and told to return it for full refund of the 340 quid I paid for it. May stretch to a 3080 now instead of a 3070

My friend had this issue and replacing his PSU resolved the issue. Buuuut if you can rma it get a 3080.